Aerostyle

RK Ink and Focus

Mac-Valve Maestro!
I apologize if I am not allowed to post this here but its a little piece of history that makes sense it existed but I had never given it a thought before...

Have any of you airbrush nuts seen one and can you fill in any of the history?

This has been passed around in private messages. It is an interesting piece.

To my knowledge the main problem is no airbrush company kept records of anything. Trying to find info on any brush is a labor of love. The best you can hope for is a date range by differences in designs, cases, handles and sometimes patent dates. Old literature is great if you have access to it.

I've thought about this piece. Going by the bulb style air inlet it looks like it should have painted WW1 airplanes, if it painted planes at all. By WW2 it should have used a screw on connection, at least I would think it should have by then. For the seller to say it was used in WW2 to paint the planes it mentions is there any documentation to back that up or is it a "He said/She said" kind of thing? In court I believe that would be hearsay.

Just my opinion this looks like an Aerograph brush from the case and the lettering. It may have been rebranded as Aerostyle for the military or whoever???

Another opinion if you'd choose to pursue it. Your best bet to get info would be to find someone who had used one. Perhaps someone from the maintenance department of the RAF during that time or ??? That probably won't be easy.

With a little more time looking at it, I see where there is a male connection that the air valve bulb screws onto. You would need to ask the seller to remove it and take a pic or two to know if it in fact has an air valve. It would be a constant air flow type of brush if it doesn't and more in line with WW1.

Last edited:
As you say it is a little naive to take what the seller is saying as 100% true.

My detective skills are sub par, i suppose financial reports for the company may give an indication of suppliers of spray equipment to austin at the time. But thats assuming they buy direct not through a middle man.

Unfortunately as you say finding people with the knowledge will be hard as the sad fact is there are very few left.

I did find this small link to aerostyle

Its not much but I will have a trawl through and see if it throws up much more.

As I dig around more items pop up for sale under the aerostyle brand, including a model 1m spray gun with some original paperwork it seems.

There are a few compressor and air tanks also and it seens they were about into the 70's

I wonder if they were in fact under the ownership of the leyland group and disappeared at the same time. The commercial motor magazine archive seems to talk of them having their own factory and producing a whole range relating to the spray industry, from spray guns to compressors, rubberized spray booth coatings to peal off overspray in booths in one sheet. There was also talk of change of representatives in certain areas in the same article as the leyland corporation and associated commercial vehicles merger. Does that indicate they were part of one of these companies?

I would say though that most of the time period is 1950's onwards I have found so far. But that may be that was when they became more prominent in old literature not that they did not exist before then as they seem well established and spending on development of innovative products through that period.

More trawling through the web required

In my search for information I had sent an email to Tim at Everything Airbrush. It's my understanding that he worked for Aerograph for many years. I thought he might have some information on Aerostyle. This is what I sent and his reply.

Hi Tim,

I hope you are well.

I belong to an airbrush forum and this "brush" has been posted for discussion.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334968097433

I collect airbrushes and this one looks Aerograph to me by the case and the lettering. Would you be familiar with the Aerostyle company? Any information you might have will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I’m not familiar with this model so it’s very old (older than me for sure) 😊

Aerograph airbrushes used to be made by Aerograph in London before they moved to the South Coast of England.

It could be an Aerograph but you would be on your own in terms of compatible spares.

Kind Regards

Tim Murrell

Manager

The Spraygun Company Ltd

After not selling and being relisted, it looks as though this sold for £120. Anyone here bag it??

Back