Age old debate... Micron vs. Micron?

Thank you for the feedback, not too worried about coverage with the CH in my lineup. Feel like i need some “icing on the cake” tho ... basically plan to use the micron mostly for white highlights, black fine lines and maybe some tighter patterning/textures. Any thoughts on “speed” with the smaller needle vs ur .35 eclipse? I tend to keep the high pressure and move quick. If i slow down/think too much i dont paint as well. Someone here mentioned the .18 actually draws paint out quicker y im kinda on the fence with the head/needle choice.
I think in terms of speed the larger nozzle will always put down more paint... hence speed with the larger diameter and more control (read here, more passes needed to get the same coverage) with the smaller nozzle.

After 41 days of not so patiently waiting for the post... and back order from iwata... my CMC+ finally arrived yesterday. Played around with her a bit and im still on the fence... for now ... gotta get the “feel” for it i guess. Spent 10-12hrs with it so far. I sprayed anywhere from 20 to 65psi. I love it...and hate it at the same time. Im sure its just me getting to learn the tool. Tried to keep the pressure down with extra thin mixes and i just cant do it lol... lowest i could comfortably spray was 35-40psi. Seems great for paper/canvas. Need to figure out how to get jet black to come out without cranking er up to 65 psi or just roll with it. Shorter trigger is kinda nice, surprised how “not touchy” it is compared to the kustomCH. Will b nice for those “off” days. Kinda nerve wracking having to pull back farther for paint hence my draw to the overly high pressures. Any tips on paints/inks to try other than createx? Also is there anything detrimental i can do to the gun running at 65psi when its rated for 15-30?

After 41 days of not so patiently waiting for the post... and back order from iwata... my CMC+ finally arrived yesterday. Played around with her a bit and im still on the fence... for now ... gotta get the “feel” for it i guess. Spent 10-12hrs with it so far. I sprayed anywhere from 20 to 65psi. I love it...and hate it at the same time. Im sure its just me getting to learn the tool. Tried to keep the pressure down with extra thin mixes and i just cant do it lol... lowest i could comfortably spray was 35-40psi. Seems great for paper/canvas. Need to figure out how to get jet black to come out without cranking er up to 65 psi or just roll with it. Shorter trigger is kinda nice, surprised how “not touchy” it is compared to the kustomCH. Will b nice for those “off” days. Kinda nerve wracking having to pull back farther for paint hence my draw to the overly high pressures. Any tips on paints/inks to try other than createx? Also is there anything detrimental i can do to the gun running at 65psi when its rated for 15-30?
Airbrush Asylum suggests a mix of 30% paint to 70% reducer for the micron. I find 1:1 around 30psi works nicely for me. But it’s all about playing with mixture and pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airbrush Asylum suggests a mix of 30% paint to 70% reducer for the micron. I find 1:1 around 30psi works nicely for me. But it’s all about playing with mixture and pressure.

Airbrush asylum uses Trident paint, ive never seen him use anything else.

Tried to keep the pressure down with extra thin mixes and i just cant do it lol...

Also is there anything detrimental i can do to the gun running at 65psi when its rated for 15-30?

if you need to run 65psi through an airbrush to get paint to spray then you may as well use a .35 needle because you’re not going to get any knobs of detail happening at 65psi !
A micron airbrush is designed for detail work- which requires a paint with fine pigment like Createx illustration or E’tac EFX or ink . NO metallic or pearl.

Using the wrong paint will add to your frustration

I don’t suppose you’ve got a MAC valve attached to the hose that needs opening up ?

CM-C+ has a MAC valve right at the front of the brush - make sure you have it open (screwed all the way out). You should be able to get paint to reliably flow from the brush at about 20-25psi, with near to complete coverage with a single pass. If not, it is something you are doing with the paint, or reduction, that is not correct for the brush.

Airbrush asylum uses Trident paint, ive never seen him use anything else.

if you need to run 65psi through an airbrush to get paint to spray then you may as well use a .35 needle because you’re not going to get any knobs of detail happening at 65psi !
A micron airbrush is designed for detail work- which requires a paint with fine pigment like Createx illustration or E’tac EFX or ink . NO metallic or pearl.

Using the wrong paint will add to your frustration

I don’t suppose you’ve got a MAC valve attached to the hose that needs opening up ?
You’re right. Although he recommends the same for Illustration. I can’t remember which video it was specifically.

Kinda nerve wracking having to pull back farther for paint hence my draw to the overly high pressures.

That's good thing: it gives you easier access to a wider range of control, and is part of the Micron's fine detail-oriented-ness. It shouldn't feel like a problem unless you're used to using a double action like it's a single action (i.e. not varying paint flow during a stroke).

Any tips on paints/inks to try other than createx? Also is there anything detrimental i can do to the gun running at 65psi when its rated for 15-30?

Golden High-Flow and Testors Aztek have been my favorites of the stuff I have access to. Golden has stronger color, and is more durable when dry, but Aztek sprays better. Both can be sprayed undiluted through a Micron, but get much better atomization if reduced at least 1/1. I have the appropriate reducers for both, but have found that 92% isopropyl (which unfortunately has been hard to get since the pandemic started) actually works best for both.

That's good thing: it gives you easier access to a wider range of control, and is part of the Micron's fine detail-oriented-ness. It shouldn't feel like a problem unless you're used to using a double action like it's a single action (i.e. not varying paint flow during a stroke).

Golden High-Flow and Testors Aztek have been my favorites of the stuff I have access to. Golden has stronger color, and is more durable when dry, but Aztek sprays better. Both can be sprayed undiluted through a Micron, but get much better atomization if reduced at least 1/1. I have the appropriate reducers for both, but have found that 92% isopropyl (which unfortunately has been hard to get since the pandemic started) actually works best for both.

Appreciate the feedback man, i can tell u understand just by ur 1st comment lol... i guess i do vary line weight by stroke speed and distance to the object more so than my trigger finger. Never thought of it compared to a single action brush, but that makes perfect sense to me. I spray in short “bursts”sketching around if that makes sense and i do like heavy consistent line work, i draw the same way. I do enjoy the micron for slowing me down a bit but i tend to have more control not thinking and moving quickly. Seems i might just need to learn a bit more patience with the new brush. Ill give the golden high flow and aztek a go also as i think it will help me achieve a heavier pigment with thinner mix. Basically started with thinner and worked up to as much pigment i could get to comfortably shoot through smooth to see what would happen. Even with a dull grey of black pigment/heavy thinner i had a real hard time “staying put” at 35psi or below. Gotta kick my old habits with the new tool or meet in the middle somewhere lol... the control and precision is phenomenal, easily cut my line weights in half, if im in the zone i tend to crank it and let er rip

CM-C+ has a MAC valve right at the front of the brush - make sure you have it open (screwed all the way out). You should be able to get paint to reliably flow from the brush at about 20-25psi, with near to complete coverage with a single pass. If not, it is something you are doing with the paint, or reduction, that is not correct for the brush.
Thanks for the response...had no problem shooting at 20-25psi with a decent pigment... more of a patience thing for the slow air pressure. Going to give a few diff. Brands of paint a shot to see if i can “up the coverage” of a thin mix. I know its not proper... i do like it heavy and fast tho . More concerned of blowing the mac valve or something of that nature by cranking er up for the speed.

This isn't Fast and Furious and your not driving a NAWWWWSSSS powered Honduh.
priceless... i agree patience is not my strong suit... is it really that “wrong” tho? I cant b the only one who just enjoys going ham some days or is that when its time to “move backwards” and open up the .35 lol

Please mask up if you are spraying Isopropyl... it apparently can cause neurological issues :(

Yup: mask and ventilation. Regardless of what I'm spraying. I have no truck with the "ehhh, it'll be fine" and "my dad did thing X every day" schools of health & safety. I go where the medical literature and OSHA testing go.

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who responded... have some testors aztek, golden high flow and createx illustration on the way to play with. Couldn’t find the trident ill have to keep looking. Hopefully these pigments can reign me in a bit down to 30psi or below.

New pigments came in... createx illustration, testors aztek and golden high flow... helped cut me down a bit on air... im setteling in around 35psi as my comfort zone even diluted up to 1-3... Sprays fine with lower air, i can get finer crisp lines bumped to 35 tho. Surprised how much more pigment is packed in these paints. Appreciate the tips guys! Jumped right onto some baits for production and the new gun is much much cleaner now with a bit of patience and better paint. Less finger fatigue also after an 8 hr sesh. Very happy

Back