Air Valve Adjustment/Removal of Iwata Eclipse HP-CS

Baker7Zero

Double Actioner
Hi all, question:

I have Iwata Eclipse HP-CS, and the trigger of it feels pretty stiff. Is there a way to adjust it, and if yes, how do you remove the air valve (without buying the maintenance kit for $90). Appreciate it.

When you say "feels pretty stiff" and then ask about the air valve, I am assuming you mean hard to press down. Drawing it back to move the needle is a different story ;).

There is not really meant to be any adjustment - although you may be able to get enough by unscrewing the retainer a half turn or so - care needs to be taken that it does not eventually fall out, though. The option is to replace the spring with something softer. As for opening it - there are a number of ways - Spraygunner.com sells a "no-name" tool that fits the retainer (#1), a pair of pointed tweezers can do the job (#2), and I have even used a dremel with a cut off disk to modify a screw driver blade to fit the retainer (#3). I have also seen people use a re-bent paper clip, or stiff electrical wires to remove the retainer.

air-valve-open1.jpg

When you say "feels pretty stiff" and then ask about the air valve, I am assuming you mean hard to press down. Drawing it back to move the needle is a different story ;).

There is not really meant to be any adjustment - although you may be able to get enough by unscrewing the retainer a half turn or so - care needs to be taken that it does not eventually fall out, though. The option is to replace the spring with something softer. As for opening it - there are a number of ways - Spraygunner.com sells a "no-name" tool that fits the retainer (#1), a pair of pointed tweezers can do the job (#2), and I have even used a dremel with a cut off disk to modify a screw driver blade to fit the retainer (#3). I have also seen people use a re-bent paper clip, or stiff electrical wires to remove the retainer.

View attachment 64169
Great little tutorial, thank you. Since you mentioned it, if I want to make trigger action of drawing of the needle back to be easier, either cutting down the needle spring or unscrewing the spring guide is the way to go, right?

Great little tutorial, thank you. Since you mentioned it, if I want to make trigger action of drawing of the needle back to be easier, either cutting down the needle spring or unscrewing the spring guide is the way to go, right?

Cutting the spring will lessen the pre-load, but will not change the rate - So, the trigger may feel the same anyway. Unscrewing the retainer will soften the feel, but there is only so far you can go before the handle will not screw on all the way. You may however find your feel this way, as there is some adjustment there. You can also replace the spring, as many do, with something softer. Ball point pens seem to be a popular donor source. I wind my own, to meet my individual preferences.

Cutting the spring will lessen the pre-load, but will not change the rate - So, the trigger may feel the same anyway. Unscrewing the retainer will soften the feel, but there is only so far you can go before the handle will not screw on all the way. You may however find your feel this way, as there is some adjustment there. You can also replace the spring, as many do, with something softer. Ball point pens seem to be a popular donor source. I wind my own, to meet my individual preferences.
Oh wow, ball point pen is an amazing idea. Definitely will try this tonight. Any other airbrush customization tips?

A little lube on the bottom pin of the trigger makes a good bit of difference sometimes too. It passes through a small o ring so can get a bit sticky sometimes. It’s also usually the fix of you find your trigger isn’t springing back up as it should or the air stays on when you let go.
I know the Iwata tool kit looks expensive and I didn’t buy one for sometimes after beginning to learn. But since having it Iva never once regretted buying it and have often been glad I did. Just food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back