For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Alice in Wonderland

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by Dimitris, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Dimitris

Dimitris Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Decided to go with this theme but make a composition (little weird) of my own style.

Started with what the foreground's going to be cause I wanted to keep it as clean as I could from the artwork to come,

1st stage.jpg

next step was cover that up and go for the background. I did sealed it with 2K clear coat cause I knew there was going to be a lot of masking and didn't want anything to happen to it.
    Just to know colors were wicked by createx and used with them 4030 balancing clear. It really proved me (later) that it does make the paint much stronger!

The idea was to create a warp-spiral. The problem was that the panel is 115x80cm / 45x31 in. and wanted it to be all over free space. So I designed a 30x60 cm. design in illustrator, transfer the .png to silhouette, cutted it and apply it to the board (the dark hole). Afterwards I used fine line tape to continue each stripe of the spiral, masked it and paint it.

1,1.jpg

Time for the title. Found the font in net, manipulated it to be like the movie's title and paint that too.

2νδ λαυερ.jpg

Next was cheshire cat. What a nice little kitty! Found her spot, lying over that pipe. Never have I managed to do such nice strokew mith the airbrush, really enjoyed that! Used black, red-violet, blue-violet, yellow ochre back and forth for the hair.

3ρδ λαυερ.jpg

Next was to make Alice with white rabbit entering the main artwork. Found this particular door and distorted it in photoshop to make it seem opened. Found an image of Alice, placed her right hand (as we look at it) behind the door and her left a bit outwards to show she's entering out.

4th layer.jpg

And this is where I get nervous, her face! The dimensions were too small for me to be handled without hesitations, took me long time to convice myself it's decent. Got the white rabbit with his favorite c;pck and moved on...

5th layer.jpg

But where are the mushrooms!? I love mushrooms! Oh, look!!! 2 of them just popped in there! :D:D
    Burnt sienna, burnt umber and raw sienna were used for the body and burnt orange, orange and a bit of yellow for the bottom.

6th layer.jpg

Could't leave mad hatter out of the party! He troubled me too with his face. Didn't insist with him very much, you can see the outcome of him. Hope he's not angry. Something I didn't mention is that all has been masked in order to paint 'em.

7th layer.jpg

At this point i was considering it done but I had to add something cause it seems to me kind of 'poor'...
    Decided to add a climber plant (is this the right meaning?) entering from the door, wrapping the tube a couple of times and ending on top of the title. But what I really liked were those shadows on the tube that did add a dimension between the tube and the background. So this is the final artwork for today.

Hope you like it guys and gals! Really enjoyed doing this!

8th layer.jpg
  2. Leigh

Leigh Young Tutorling

It looks amazing glad you did step by step. As a bigginer I'd never have know how to get that image seeing how it was done as given me the confidence not to give up
    basepaint, Dimitris and jord001 like this.
  3. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Staff Member Mod Very Likeable!

Awesome job Buddy! This is a killer piece of work. You did an incredible job especially with the small faces, which look great.
    Dimitris and jord001 like this.
  4. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Lovely work @Dimitris it came out real nice. It's also nice to see how you did each step and read what you did to protect the artwork. Thanks for sharing.

Lee
    Dimitris likes this.
  5. Dimitris

Dimitris Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Thanks Simon, it's a struggle for me with such small faces...They need practise... a lot of it! :D

you're welcome my friend! One of the reasons I don't post a lot is that I use much more words than needed to explain something and I'm worried that it could be tiring for you who read it! Wished my english would be better!
    SiRoxx and jord001 like this.
  6. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Nope its not tiring. I could type for England in some of my posts. Its good to see things as they are done and there's no substitute for a good explanation.
    Type as much as you think, if we're interested we will read everything.

Lee
    SiRoxx and Dimitris like this.
  7. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Artist of the Month! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

Great work, and a great step by step!
    jord001, SiRoxx and Dimitris like this.
  8. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Killer piece...Amazing. Thanks for the steps...
    jord001, SiRoxx and Dimitris like this.
  9. Ttxela

Ttxela Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Very good indeed!
    jord001 and Dimitris like this.
  10. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Staff Member Mod Very Likeable!

Not at all Man! Your English is great, and that’s a really cool SBS for sure. Thanks for sharing.
    jord001 and Dimitris like this.