For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

All set up and ready to go :)

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Malky, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

As some already know I picked up a new compressor at the beginning of this week, this one;

20160810_110806.jpg

In order to use this for airbrushing I needed a few things, didn't have much time through the week with having to work so todady I took a trip to Lion Art in Goes, about an hours drive form where I live, I picked up an air regulator/moisture trap and some small fittings, I picked up some other stuff I didn't need too but hey, I'm human, I just can't go to a shop like that only buy what I went for:(:)

Anyway, to the job at hand, since the room in which I work is a little restricted space wise I wanted the compressor in an adjacent room with the new regulator/trap in my work area, this involved drilling a hole through the wall, I chose to do this under my desk and attach the trap to side of the desk so that it is a bit out of site but still handy to reach, this photo shows all that can be seen when the compressor is in use;

20160813_184201.jpg
    Obviously I can now attach my airbrush hose and I'm off :thumbsup:

Being than I am a bit of a freak when it comes to having stuff neat and tidy, I didn't want to be looking at huge hole when everything else is tidied away, so I bought a couple of plastic 32 mm caps normally used for closing plastic pipe ends, after making sure the hole I drilled was the right size I use these caps to block off the hole on both sides of the wall, so this is what it looks like after cleaning up;

20160813_184308.jpg
    I do need to touch up that mark above the cap or I will never sleep :eek:

And this is the other side of the wall;

20160813_184338.jpg
    Not worried about the marks here, this is just a utility/storage/ironing room:thumbsup:

In the photo with the trap under the desk, we can see a small cabinet, this is also new and I've put wheels on it so I can place it where I want and have all my essentials at hand, I'm a lefty so everything goes to my left, here's a better view of the cabinet;

20160813_185143.jpg
    The cabinet originally had plastic bucket drawers in it but they got lobbed because they wasted space and I put shelves in instead:)

Some may remember a while back I made myself a magnetic rotating desktop easel, in order to make that I cannibalized a huge magnetic white board, I was clever enough at the time to keep the remains of the white board and have recently very crudely built another magnetic easel, this one;

20160720_134739.jpg

This easel will fold flat with a flat profile of around two inches and successfully hides behind the door in the same room where the compressor now hides, the white board comes off in seconds but unless there is actually a need to do that I just leave it, the sun shines the whole day long through the window to the left of my desk, and the general idea for the easel and the rolling cabinet is to follow the sun around to get the best light when I work, in the winter months when the dark nights get real hold, I have an LED daylight lamp which will be attached to the top of the easel and will fold into the space between the top of the white board and the uppermost rail, the lamp has a slightly thinner profile than the easel so it fits perfectly, although the rolling cabinet is beside the desk at the moment, it actually rolls under the desk when not in use, I'll still be using my desk top easel for small things like Paint Pals, everything else on the big one:):):)

And this was (and probably will remain) my last ever painting using the old compressor, it was done very quickly just to see how much progress I've made since doing the same one I did over four years featured in this thread:) http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/a-little-look-back-omg-lol-who-remembers-these.16426/
    20160811_131238.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I'll actually be starting to paint something, so I'll try to get a photo of the area with everything in place:)
    jord001, basepaint, JackEb and 3 others like this.
  2. J000seph

J000seph Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Looks like a nice set up!
    Malky likes this.
  3. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

That set up does not appear to be very mobile so how are you gonna go any where ???LMAO
    That place is to clean it needs some paint get to it :D
    jord001 and Malky like this.
  4. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I think I read the room was a broom closet not much room to move in one of those herblollollol
  5. frank artale

frank artale Gravity Guru

another neat freak !! i wish i could be that way.
    My brother is FELIX, and I am OSCAR :)
    jord001, Malky and Mr.Micron like this.
  6. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I can't even see my you bench due to all the paint and other junk:eek::eek::eek:
    Malky likes this.
  7. frank artale

frank artale Gravity Guru

exactly . thats thats living !!
    Malky likes this.
  8. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Yeah I just do not understand these OCD folks with the everything has a place and everything will be put into that place.
    I am old school tell me what ya want I will tell you which pile to go look in :D
    jord001, Malky and JackEb like this.
  9. Maple Art

Maple Art Elite Member! Elite Member!

I try organizing but then I can never find anything :rolleyes:!! Nice set up Malky
    Malky likes this.
  10. Malky

LOL, Both the room I have to work in and the room where the compressor sits are 4 meters long and 2.3 meters wide, or roughly 15 feet by 7.6 feet, the available space I have to work in is around 5 square meters since there is also a bed and wardrobe in the same room, so when I am working the place quickly becomes cluttered and I can't find my way around, too much stuff lying around distracts me and messes up my concentration, but as it is now now, it is as quick and easy to put stuff back where it came as it is to throw it on a desk top, I can reach everything I need without getting out of my swivel chair, it's hard having OCD when your a lazy bastard too, lol, but only the rolling cabinet and easel have to be mobile so I'm able to pull them around anywhere in that five meters.

I could have had the room where the compressor is to use for nothing else but airbrushing and my hobbies and such but I opted out of that because it mean my wife would carry out some tasks that happen there in the living room or even the kitchen and I can't handle that:) so I'm happy to give up a little space to avoid interfering with spaces I like to chill in.

If we have visitors round for coffee my wife will throw a load of coasters/mats on the coffee table for the cups, she drops these willy nilly anywhere at all and that totally does my face in so our guests are usually freaked out at me putting these neatly in the corners and removing any that look out of place or don't conform the pattern of things:eek: it's my wife's birthday on Monday coming and that always means flowers form her three ugly sister and other non entities, these get strewn all around my living room and her three ugly sisters know how much this riles me so they hunt out the tallest and ugliest they can find so I can't even see the telly, when it's their birthdays I just send them nettles along with a note saying "I thought it best not to spoil your day by highlighting your ugliness with beautiful flowers", to be honest, one of the sisters is actually quite attractive but God in his infinite wisdom saw fit to ruin that fact by furnishing her with a mouth:eek:

@basepaint thank you for reminding me, there is actually a broom in that room, I was using to clean up after drilling my hole, I must remember to give it back to my sister in law, the oldest one I lovingly call medusa because she is damned hard to look at:):):)
    basepaint and jord001 like this.
  11. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Great workspace @Malky Now you have to make good use of it. I'm sure you will.

Lee
  12. Malky

I wanted to paint today but the wife had other ideas and had me running around the house doing all kinds of little repair chores, so since I was already in handy man mode I decided on another little space saving mission, while my little rolling cabinet does it's job very well, I found I had trouble trying to find paints that were far into it without either pulling everything out or turning the cabinet around, so I made some little shelves for on the wall, this was fine but I hate untidiness when I'm not working so I also made a cover to keep the bottles out of site when they're not in use.

Here is the view of the shelves, these shelves were intended to sit photos in deep frames on but I re-purposed them and cut them from two 1 meter long pieces down to four pieces each 50 centimeters long
    20160817_201655.jpg

I don't mind the view above when I'm actually working but when I'm not working my mild COD takes hold and I can't bear to see it so measures had to be taken and this is the view when there's nothing going on.
    20160817_201627.jpg

And here is a view of the whole corner I have to work in, believe it or not, with the exception of my easel every thing I need is right here, there is paper in the rolling cabinet and as I mentioned there is a bed in the same room and my gessoed boards (or some of them) are under that, to make the cover for over the paints I had to buy a whole sheet of the pre-primed MDF, but since there was over a third of the board left over I had them cut the rest up for my gessoed panels and they even cut my paint pal panels out of the last bit:thumbsup:
    20160817_202124.jpg

The Mrs has assured me the rest of the week is mine to do with as I wish:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    J000seph and Freakaziot like this.
  13. Freakaziot

Freakaziot Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

:eek::eek: Very nice airbrush room Malky I am jealous!
    And so sterile :eek::eek: if I got a room like that everything would be covert in paint.
    my fiancée forces me to work in the kitchen, so she can make some contact me while I airbrush
  14. Malky

I've just redecorated the kitchen so I'm not even allowed in it, lol, when I work I get paint everywhere to, but I have a serious cleanliness fetish and spend as long cleaning as I do airbrushing, if I work for real long periods, I'm known to clean up a couple of times or more in one day just because it gets to me, like I said I had a load of chores to do today, but my wife couldn't understand why I would tidy all my tools away before starting each chore, but if I don't do that I end up with more tools than I need and can't find my way through them.

Our whole house has laminate flooring all through except this room which has carpet but it's a special polyester material normally used for student accommodation and areas that are likely to get dirty, I never wear shoes in the house so it keeps my feet warm and if a drop paint on it it cleans off real easy, but it's main purpose is that I don't get distracted with drops of paint, once every two weeks I just go over it with our wet vacuum and it's good as new:thumbsup:
    Freakaziot likes this.
  15. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

very nice and clinical Malky, as much as I'd like a space like that I don't think it will ever happen, and if it did it wouldn't look like that for long.

Given that you have OCD, doesn't the fact that its O.C.D drive you bonkers, ?? surely it should be C.D.O.
  16. Freakaziot

Freakaziot Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

I gave up the spotless cleaning since we got a cat who losses 1kg of hair a day.
    All I want for Christmas is an Roomba robot vacuum-cleaner, or a house maid lol