For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Alright, it's finally purchased...

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Neural, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Neural

Neural Gravity Guru

I ordered my Eclipse HP-BCS today, a quick disconnect, and some additional bottles.

I have a really fine mesh metal filter and small funnel to run paint through before it goes into the bottle, and some very small bottle brushes for cleaning.

Anything vital that I am missing? Specific cleaning solutions (I have the createx airbrush restorer).
    jord001 and Dimitris like this.
  2. Dimitris

Dimitris Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Yeap! You're missing something! :)
    You're first artwork-project with it! :D:D
    jord001 and Neural like this.
  3. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

If you have the ‘airbrush cleaning brushes’ with the metal core/handle then chuck them in your shed toolbox, they may come in useful in there. Get ‘interdental brushes’ instead, look the same but safe for gums so no fear of damaging the internals of the airbrush.

A long bristled artist brush is useful when dealing with clogged nozzles.
    A piece of rag is useful for wiping up the odd spills, a small condiment jar/solvent proof plastic lidded pot is great for keeping restorer in, then you can just pop the nozzle in there, pop the lid on and let it do it’s thing without worrying about knocking it over and losing the nozzle.

A piece of stocking stretched over the neck of the bottle then lid reattached does just a well as a. ‘proper’ filter.
    Do you have a spray out pot? They’re easy enough to DIY
    jord001, Neural and doc1 like this.
  4. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Jackeb about covered it!
    You might also want a dish with sides to put your parts is as you remove them so they don't roll off and hit the floor and go who knows where!(not that I've ever had that happen:whistling:)
  5. Neural

Neural Gravity Guru

Does "the back of the paint booth" count?
    jord001 likes this.
  6. JackEb

Lol, not really unless you’ve a fully vented system.
    Spray pots are more for when your cleaning/color changing and don’t want to inhale in the resulting spray
  7. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Very Likeable!

Dimitris likes this.
  8. huskystafford

How I do it:
    1) one iwata bottle for water. I am using this when I color change or clean airbrush before soaking-I always soak over the night. I spray water, then back flush with that water and spray again

Sometimes after this step i use cotton buds for ear cleaning with cleaner just to clean inside of that part where you attach the bottle. Not always. It depends, what happens when I back flush with water. Sometimes paint spills all around that part, so I clean that with cotton bud.
    Or I use this:
    http://www.airbrush.si/sl/pribor-za-ciscenje/898-bidon-za-ciscenje.html
    and push bunch of water true the airbrush.

2) second iwata bottle for my cleaner(I use stelex-window cleaner-thx robby - you saved me bunch of cash :) ). I use this after the water. I spray cleaner, then back flush with the same bottle, then spray again

3) third bottle of iwata-I have cleaner inside(stelex-window cleaner). I spray this and I don't do back flush

after that I just spray air without any fluid and I also back flush without any fluid, so airbrush is dry before I put cup with color on it.

4) I use that badger metal one(picked idea from a great blog of forum member, I forgot what's his nick unfortunately). You can put around 70 drops of paint and reducer inside, which is more then enough for practise or even t-shirt. Usually you are using more colors then one for a ''project'', so 70 drops is enough. When I am practising I use around 50 drops.

blog of forum member:
    https://avwairbrushworks.wordpress.com/2017/01/13/harder-and-steenbeck-siphon-cup/

thx forum member for saving my ass and solving my frustration with iwata bottles :)

5) I need to buy few more of those badgers one(number 4 is in my head). So I can mix colors and just spray on the go. One for black, one for white and 3 for different colors. That should be enough. I hope lol

6)Before I go to sleep I soak.

If anybody have easier process, pls share, I will be happy to pick up any tips :D

edit: in theory iwata bottles are great, but when you reduce color you have 72 hours to use that color. So if you have bunch of reduced color in that bottle, you need to spray bunch of t-shirts for example to use that color. And what if you need 5 different colors on one t-shirt? ....

I have also 1oz iwata bottles and they are to big. Probably not if you are spraying a car...
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Neural and doc1 like this.
  9. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Are you using created paints?? Then 4012 reducer is your best friend. Reduce well with this (will take a bit of fine tuning to work out best amounts) for blockage free nozzles (even more so after you filter) then at the end of a session use a few drops to flush after cleaning, and you'll always be good to go next time. No dried paint to hold you back.
  10. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Mac-Valve Maestro!

This is what I found. I know there were some warnings about pot life with 4030 mixed.

https://creatextech.com/pdf/tds/4012-TDS.pdf

"Pot-Life & Storage After adding 4012, there is no pot life. However, the alcohol in 4012 flashes water from paint, so if left open paint will thicken due to accelerated evaporation. Store paint in an air tight bottle after adding 4012. Keep in a cool dry box or cabinet away from sunlight and direct light. As bottles do allow for some exchange of air, evaporation may still occur over a prolonged storage period."
    huskystafford likes this.
  11. huskystafford

Damn this would make so much easier! So I can reduce wicked and there is no pot life?

I know I was reading on this forum about pot life like many times...
    SiRoxx likes this.
  12. JackEb

Its a case of common sense I think Husky,
    This is in the TDS from Createx

Wicked Colors do not have a pot life. Store air-tight in a cool, dry environment away from direct light. Long term storage of paint after adding 4012 or 4020 not recommended. Best stored in temperatures between 40 – 80 degrees F.

Illustration Colors do not have a pot life. Store air-tight in a cool, dry environment away from direct light. Long term storage of paint after adding 4012 or 4020 not recommended. Best stored in temperatures between 40 – 80 degrees F. Do not keep Illustration Colors for long-term storage after adding 4012 or 4020.

For small quantities you could premix, but for larger bottles I dont think I would do it.

I have two of those cups and I'm not a fan..... the fit isnt great and it has fallen out a couple of times and compared to the Iwata side cups they feel very cheap and nasty, almost 'tin' feel to them.
  13. huskystafford

it has fallen out a couple of times at my place also lol And they feel cheap. That is so true :D I didn't try h&s ones, but they work for me when I don't wanna mix a lot of colors. I had like 5 drop moments in like 6 months :p Full of black color on ceramic tiles. To bad iwata doesn't do less then 1oz bottles.

guess I can premix wicked for one week ahead. -.-
    JackEb likes this.
  14. JackEb

even giving the cup a slight twist when its on didnt help. I may have to see if a bit of teflon tape will help, I dont use solvents so its not an issue.
  15. huskystafford

16. JackEb

17. huskystafford

thank you! I was right you will know it :D
  18. JackEb

I know everything, I'm a girl, its my job :laugh::D
    SiRoxx and huskystafford like this.
  19. huskystafford

Yep, I noticed you have many tricks under your belt. :) I'm reading and learning lol
    JackEb likes this.
  20. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

72 hours was something they gave at one point just to kind of cover their butts, it was the longest they tested.
    It's not two part so of course it technically will have no pot life like leaky pointed out.

Problem is it's going to be more sensitive to everything. Tight seal, sunlight, temperature extremes, you name it.

Also the main ingredient in 4012 actually causes water to pass through the plastic used in their bottles in tiny amounts... accelerated by sunlight...so storing back in their bottles could be an issue looooong term.

In essence it means there is no set shelf life even when reduced, but it will be far more difficult to store properly as it becomes more sensitive.

So you could pre-reduce and store indefinitely if you use glass bottles with impermeable seals in a dark , climate controlled closet.

How long can you store it under your conditions?....it's on you to figure it out and your fault for any ruined batches is basically what that all comes down to
    SiRoxx, JackEb and huskystafford like this.