For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Alternative airbrush

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by SilverScreen, Jul 11, 2019.

1. SilverScreen

SilverScreen Gravity Guru

brush.jpg To be honest my airbrushes reached a state where it is better to buy new than restoring. For many years I wanted to get myself a
    Paasche AB Turbo, but after trying to make bids on Ebay I gave up. For some reason Americans will not ship to EU. And that even Ebay and PayPal make as safe as within the states for the seller. So I gave up about the Turbo thing and looked around for a modern brush. I found this, a

"Gsi Creos Mr.Hobby Ps290 Procon Boy Lwa Trigger Type Japan Double Action"

Fair price and when I can't get my gun from USA, Japan are my option. Curious about taxes, but any buy from outside Eu. just get a 25 Pct. on top and then that problem are solved. But how good are this airbrush, how much airbrush can one get for 125 $. So if anyone has any experience with these airbrushes, I will be happy to know.
    jord001 likes this.
  2. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I can’t vouch for the 290, but I got the 270 (0.2mm) and it is a great quality brush, coming at an unbeatable price. Many other forum members have brushes from the same manufacturer and as far as I know they’re all very satisfied.
  3. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

4. SilverScreen

Thank you very much, that would have been nice to know, but as I reckon I want two; -- one 0,5 and one 0,2, I can use the address you provide here. Of Course it is the oval spray pattern that is the most interesting about these airbrushes. But also the price. I will check the link, thank's.
    jord001 and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  5. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

The Procon GSI brushes are a fantastic value. Top notch quality, the same as any of the other Japanese brushes, at very reasonable prices. I have the PS290 and love it. I also have the Iwata HP TH, and they are pretty much identical, minus the MAC valve on the Procon. As I have a QC MAC on my hose, I don't miss it on the brush.
    jord001, Robbyrockett2 and doc1 like this.
  6. SilverScreen

Exactly, now it maybe are made very different, but I once got a cheap chinese airbrush with a "Mac valve". After replacing and polishing I used it as reserve for a while until one day paint spilled and somehow blocked the mac valve. Still don't know how it happened and what happened, but I gave up bringing the gun to work. My fault no doubt, but not knowing how and why, make me quite pleased that there are no valve on the airbrush, as I proberly do it again. Anyway I realise that I must see what I can do with all those airbrushes this will replace. There are some good samples among them, many Efbe, an original Grafo, two Conopois, two Super63, one Rotring beside several more. Now I could start restoring the Efbe pieces as I won a lot of new nozzles, but all in all I rather buy 3 complete new and spend the time painting.
  7. DaveG

OK, So, with that list of brushes, I have to ask - Per, is that you? You can always send the Efbe and nozzles to me, I will assure they have a good home ;). I know I should be interested in the Conopois, and Rotring, but they just have not grown on me (yet).

You will be thrilled with the Procon brushes. They are literally made in the same factory as the other Japanese brushes.
  8. SilverScreen

Well you ask if "that is me", and I must rest to say you are probably right. The batch actually been dormant for nearly nine months, never had trouble with tools before but beside, what happen to my boat building tools you know, I did make five projects at the arts workshops and all that, I can do things, also digital, but yes you are right, I should be drawing.
    jord001 likes this.
  9. SilverScreen

See there are also a monstrous antike prism binoculars collection. A Gross sample books with Laces some 125 kilo ;)) Obvius beside the smaller collections, such as antique gilding tools. Are you serious about the sad collection of tempered precision instruments, among btw. a lovely small original "Fisher" a french airbrush, engenius of course original. Still there are valuables as you say, that up against that I decided to buy a new set, get rid of the old scrap.
    jord001 and DaveG like this.
  10. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Ill just say "ditto" to what everyone has already said.
    and you mention a .2, that'll be the 270, awesome brush as well
    jord001 likes this.
  11. DaveG

Efbe brushes I would certainly entertain conversation on. I have a few, and am currently awaiting a new arrival.

trio1.jpg

Fischer, hmmm, I am more partial to the Aerographs. Maybe even Burdick branded brushes.

Aerograph-Tiro1.jpg

I have a fair number of older brushes. I go out of my way to make sure they are all in usable condition.
    jord001 and doc1 like this.
  12. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I am always astonished about the scope of @DaveG ’s collection vault... seems to have literally no end to it!
    jord001, huskystafford and DaveG like this.
  13. DaveG

awwww, thanks Franc. I have quite a ways to go, yet, but it does keep my days interesting.
    Franc Kaiser and jord001 like this.
  14. SilverScreen

The Grafo seem to be an early, say "the original design", thicker needle different needle fixtage, most most precise brush. Wonder if I should take a foto of it all.
  15. DaveG

I'd appreciate seeing the Grafo you have - Always interested in learning more! I have a "modern" interpretation of a brush that was once branded as a Heikel, but I have also seen it branded as Grafo.

prs on box1.jpg
    jord001 and doc1 like this.
  16. SilverScreen

Il'l make some fotos, as I can't upload.
  17. SilverScreen

18. DaveG

jord001 likes this.
  19. SilverScreen

uploaded 3 images to Pinterest, can be some time before they are ready, I guess.
    jord001 likes this.
  20. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I don think you will go wrong with a mr hobby airbrush, they are really good Japanese quality brushes and at a very good price. I have even used the needles and nozzles in other Japanese airbrushes with great success.

Lee