Anatomy of a .18 micron needle

I use a finger nail finishing pad with 4 different grits to finish off needles when done with the sharpenair. Not always, but on the needles I care the most about, I give them a final finish, then polish. Each side of the fingernail finisher is a different grit, mounted on a fairly firm foam rectangular pad.

I have an idea for a nice sharpener....yet another project.

Nice idea!

Forgotten to mention that having seen this thread, I've started to think we're close to the space needle launching:) BTW where are you with them?
Your sharpener would be great addition to the needles you're going to make. I wonder what that tool will be, for buying the tool for sharpening you all mentioning here kinda not for me:)

Nice idea!

Forgotten to mention that having seen this thread, I've started to think we're close to the space needle launching:) BTW where are you with them?
Your sharpener would be great addition to the needles you're going to make. I wonder what that tool will be, for buying the tool for sharpening you all mentioning here kinda not for me:)
Well, the needles I bought basically just for their storage tubes haven't arrived, so I'm grinding a couple a day and if I get em all ready before then, I'll pre release some. They just will have to be packaged different.

Well, the needles I bought basically just for their storage tubes haven't arrived, so I'm grinding a couple a day and if I get em all ready before then, I'll pre release some. They just will have to be packaged different.
It was very common for along time for replacement needles to be shipped and stored between two pieces of cardboard taped together ;). I also have some that are stored in a wooden block with a few saw blade cuts running the length...

needle-in-pack1.jpg

It was very common for along time for replacement needles to be shipped and stored between two pieces of cardboard taped together ;). I also have some that are stored in a wooden block with a few saw blade cuts running the length...

View attachment 57606
That's probably along the lines of what some of these first ones will be shipped in.

I have a couple plastic tubes now but not enough for all of them.

That's probably along the lines of what some of these first ones will be shipped in.

I have a couple plastic tubes now but not enough for all of them.
I've got quite a few that have been stored, shipped, used, etc. this way since the early 1940's, with no ill effects, so you should be OK :thumbsup:

I've got quite a few that have been stored, shipped, used, etc. this way since the early 1940's, with no ill effects, so you should be OK :thumbsup:
:) Reality with these is as long the needle wouldn't puncture the envelope they'd probably be perfectly fine with no protection :)

I'm pretty tickled with how tough they came out.

The tubes I like mainly for presentation, and convenient re use. Just don't want anyone to feel shorted if they don't get theirs in a tube.

It's really better packaging than the name brands use.

Back