After I had finished my practice piece from the Marissa Master Portrait Workshop I had to throw myself in the deep end of the pool right away. Searched for a nice reference photo the whole sunday last weekend and came up with one of Angelina Jolie. I wanted to paint a celebrity, one that could be easily recognized.. If I pulled it off will say. So here is the short version of a SBS/Work In Progress.. I forgot to take a lot of photos during the process, sorry for that. But here are a few. Iwata Custom Micron C+ E'TAC Marissa FX Schoellershammer G4 size A3 Faber Castell watercolor pencils Various erasers, texture tools and stencils I started with two prints of the reference, one color and one B&W. The B&W was used for tracing the details and structure. It was also used as a cut out stencil for maping the darkest parts in place with a light gray transparent color. Later in the process I've cut the B&W several times to use it as a stencil for major edges like the nose, outlines of the cheek, chin and forehead. First photo shows the beginning of the sketch, shades and shapes of the bone structure. Different techniques are used, for the hard edges I mainly let the color bounce of the stencil, not spraying directly on the board. Colors are Burnt Umber mixed with various Ochers. Screwed up the lips big time, mixed and painted with the wrong color so I had to sand it down to the paper. At this stage every mistake can be corrected with a sanding pad and a bit of creativity! Underpainting finished, values checked, transitions checked, flesh color sprayed where it was needed. Now it's time for the final step. Eyes colorized and textured with a white pencil eraser. Face glazed with several mixes of Ochers. Most of the details are ready. Tomorrow I'll finish the lips, hair, neck and background.