Another Oldie - Old Paasche VL

Kim McCann

Mac-Valve Maestro!
So I came across another oldie to add to my collection. Grabbed it off ebay from someone doing an estate sale. They knew nothing about it.

What appears to be an early Paasche VL. It has the bakelite resin handle of the very old Paasche brushes and is noticeably thicker in the body than the later VL series, but it had clearly either never been used, or was extremely well cared for. Not so much as a spec of dust on it or even inside the color cup. I've no idea about the date. I'd think some time in the 50s, but I have other Paasche brushes from that time, and the case on those is very different. This is a red/brown faux crocodile skin and the logo inside is unlike any other I have seen from that era. So I am wondering if maybe it is from the 60s? However, I thought they moved to plastic or aluminum handles by then. Also the valve appears to be a very old style, similar to the handful I have from the 40s

So it's a nice addition to the collection of old brushes, but I don't know anything about it really. Maybe @DaveG or another collector can date it?

Truly remarkable condition. It might as well have been made yesterday. Even the case is like new save for the yellowing of the satin inside.

123051531_10157243529027651_433177611441257016_o.jpg

I would guess same as you - 50's, 60's - I have a several of those cases with model V's I have picked up. Many of them seem to unused as well... needle packing or no needle packing? That will help pick the era.

I would guess same as you - 50's, 60's - I have a several of those cases with model V's I have picked up. Many of them seem to unused as well... needle packing or no needle packing? That will help pick the era.
Seems to be a straight hole without packing. If there is any, can't see it through the body hole, or how to get to it even if I remove the dial.

Seems to be using a two stage needle instead.

Two stage needle shaft, thick section, then a step down to thin section then tip.

I'm guessing late 50s. I have a mid 60s VL and it is noticeably thinner in the body and has a more modern needle and packing.

The case tho is very different from the other 50s cases. Maybe it was a VL or V specific case.

I wonder if maybe in that era they made a lot of brushes that were unused due to more popular models getting made or something? I stumble across very "new" brushes looking from that era fairly often.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Seems to be a straight hole without packing. If there is any, can't see it through the body hole, or how to get to it even if I remove the dial.

Seems to be using a two stage needle instead.

Two stage needle shaft, thick section, then a step down to thin section then tip.

I'm guessing late 50s. I have a mid 60s VL and it is noticeably thinner in the body and has a more modern needle and packing.

The case tho is very different from the other 50s cases. Maybe it was a VL or V specific case.

I wonder if maybe in that era they made a lot of brushes that were unused due to more popular models getting made or something? I stumble across very "new" brushes looking from that era fairly often.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

No needle packing puts it in the 50's. Mid 40's and earlier used the camel back case, very early 40's and older used a different head base...

I think people just hoarded better in those days. Brushes could have been gifts or unused work materials that got left in attics, forgotten and then recovered in estate sales. There was nowhere near the variety or selection then, as there is now. Also, advertising would have reached a much smaller slice of the population - so, I tend to think if it was going to be used, you used what you had.

Last edited:
Back