Another vintage restoration. Paasche type V

Kim McCann

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Another find from an estate sale turned up today. Paasche type V. Little harder to date this one. '50s I think, from the camel back case, and resin handle. Came with a set of extra needles that are a bit too long, and various fittings, but no paint cup. Happily I have a modern type V cup and it fits.

Got it for pretty much the cost of shipping. It was in HORRIBLE condition. The mechanism had completely seized with rust and half filled with something sticky, which I imagine was old enamel paint, it was caked in grime, and the needles were pitted and corroded beyond measure once I managed to even get into the case to see them.

Well, the good old ultrasonic bath, some deox, carb cleaner, work with a brush, and careful polishing and it came back to life. I resharpened the needles polished them to a nice gloss shine, and fired her up. Sprays almost like new. Just needed a bit of TLC.

Best guess is that it had been put away dirty, thrown in to the case, and then possibly burried in a swamp, or at least lost in a pile of stuff in a busy shop for decades.

The case needs a bit more work. Some ancient stickers, their ink long since faded on the top and sides, and the hinge is still a pile of rust, but that's a repair job for another day.
new treasure.jpg

Sweet brush.

Note to self "do not bury an airbrush in a swamp, do not bury an airbrush in a swamp, do not...."

***Heads out to bury an airbrush in a swamp, placed in the hand of a perfectly preserved buried neanderthal - desperately hoping the discovery channel will one day announce.. "cave paintings were actually airbrushed" ***

Fingers crossed.

probably 40's on that one, as it has the round head base, rather than the hex. Maybe even early. 50's they went to a flat case with fitted lining. I have a few of these from that era - took some doing to find replacement parts that work well on them. I got lucky, and found some new/old stock from a store that had closed in the 70's - so, purchased a bunch of sets of parts. If your nozzle is still in good shape you should be good to go, as they seem to work pretty well. A time or two I have also found a spare nozzle under the silver cap at the back of the handle.

I'll have to check to see if i have any spare cups for these - the original screw off bottom cups are much nicer (period correct) than the modern one piece numbers.

probably 40's on that one, as it has the round head base, rather than the hex. Maybe even early. 50's they went to a flat case with fitted lining. I have a few of these from that era - took some doing to find replacement parts that work well on them. I got lucky, and found some new/old stock from a store that had closed in the 70's - so, purchased a bunch of sets of parts. If your nozzle is still in good shape you should be good to go, as they seem to work pretty well. A time or two I have also found a spare nozzle under the silver cap at the back of the handle.

I'll have to check to see if i have any spare cups for these - the original screw off bottom cups are much nicer (period correct) than the modern one piece numbers.
I'd like to pair it with an era appropriate cup. So if you have any spares for sale, lemme know.

Nozzle is a bit dinged up on the outside from someone trying to use pliers at some point, I think, but after a good cleaning it's mecahnically in great condition. Sprays beautifully.

Was a real pain to get the paint channel and nozzle clean, but it's amazing what you can do with carb cleaner and inter dental brushes. :)

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Back