Anyone heard about the Point Zero?

R

Ruth Jalife

Hello!
As now I decided thanks to you guys that I should buy a compressor instead of the cans of propellant, I saw this kit on amazon (it even has a label of #1 sales). I wouldn’t like to buy it if you told me it’s not good quality. I don’t to a lot of detail painting, but mostly stencils on walls or clothes. What do you think of it, if you know it
c777c4c5af4780d6e71d3db3c91965e4.png

Hello!
As now I decided thanks to you guys that I should buy a compressor instead of the cans of propellant, I saw this kit on amazon (it even has a label of #1 sales). I wouldn’t like to buy it if you told me it’s not good quality. I don’t to a lot of detail painting, but mostly stencils on walls or clothes. What do you think of it, if you know it
c777c4c5af4780d6e71d3db3c91965e4.png
Ruth, I'd be careful. That pump may struggle to get enough volume of air at the pressure you'd need for doing projects on fabric. It also does not have an air tank which means when you run the brush, the compressor has to run. A tank will store air at full pressure so the compressor does not have to run constantly. These little airbrush compressors aren't designed for continuous operation and will overheat after a while. I had a small unit, Master TC-40T, until the motor locked and overheated.

I'm no expert, but I'd say you'd be better at least getting a kit that includes a compressor with a tank - the one you have linked to doesn't look like it has a tank. The tank does two things, it stores the air (which means the compressor doesn't have to run all the time) and smooths the air 'pulses' which are generated by the compressor - you certainly don't want pulsing air when using an airbrush of any kind!

Also, with these kind of kits, you have to appreciated that the airbrushes are rarely good - if you are lucky they will work, but they might not work well. This may not matter if you don't mind buying a better one - but it is best to know this up front.

It might be better to buy one more like this and then look seperately for an airbrush. BTW I've no idea if this is a good price is Mexico or not - I just picked it because it looked like the right 'kind' of thing.

Ruth, I'd be careful. That pump may struggle to get enough volume of air at the pressure you'd need for doing projects on fabric. It also does not have an air tank which means when you run the brush, the compressor has to run. A tank will store air at full pressure so the compressor does not have to run constantly. These little airbrush compressors aren't designed for continuous operation and will overheat after a while. I had a small unit, Master TC-40T, until the motor locked and overheated.

Thanks a lot. I didn’t understand why was the tank really needed. I’m now sure that I need the compressor with the tank

I'm no expert, but I'd say you'd be better at least getting a kit that includes a compressor with a tank - the one you have linked to doesn't look like it has a tank. The tank does two things, it stores the air (which means the compressor doesn't have to run all the time) and smooths the air 'pulses' which are generated by the compressor - you certainly don't want pulsing air when using an airbrush of any kind!

Also, with these kind of kits, you have to appreciated that the airbrushes are rarely good - if you are lucky they will work, but they might not work well. This may not matter if you don't mind buying a better one - but it is best to know this up front.

It might be better to buy one more like this and then look seperately for an airbrush. BTW I've no idea if this is a good price is Mexico or not - I just picked it because it looked like the right 'kind' of thing.

This is something I didn’t know! I’ll check that out, I really appreciate your help

But yeah unfortunately that compressor is over 160 dollars aprox, it’s somewhat expensive, but I appreciate it!!

I have a similar compressor but with a tank as a back up compressor and even if it has a tank it does heat up real fast and you wont get the high pressure you will need for fabric there is sadly no cheap solution for you when it comes to compressors , a loud shop compressor will be the cheapest solution but you cant use those in the evening or night unless you are in the middle of no were

Like everybody already stated,you need airtank. 2 Gallons would be enough cause you don't mass produce on the fly. I don't know for smaller tank. I tried 2 gallons, and compressor was getting hot, but not to hot.

Thanks a lot. I didn’t understand why was the tank really needed. I’m now sure that I need the compressor with the tank
Tank is needed for smooth air flow. Also allows the compressor time to cool down between cycles. Have a look at the Airbrushtutor link I posted to get a better understanding.

Those particular airbrushes are garbage also.
I have a point zero pz 360 and its a useful and fairly good brush after some tuning, but i would not recommend it for anyone who is unfamiliar with spray equipment. It takes a fair amount of tinkering to get it to work decent and some occasional re-working to keep it that way.
Also it never really puts out enough paint to use it for anything very large. I gave up on it when trying to do a full body bodypaint job.
Ive used that compressor for shading work on a couple murals, but that was it. A bit of shading and highlighting was the extent of its ability. Forget about doing any fabric with it. Also attempted to use that compressor for bodypaint and just about smoked it.

Look at pawn shops or other used locations for nailgun / stapler style compressors.
I got my senco pc1010 for next to nothing and its perfect for any airbrush use.

Last edited:
Have to agree with Robby. I DID smoke my original compressor trying to push it too much. Wasn't using textile paints, but it had a small tank and ran often. Must have lost track of time and "the genie escaped" as they say. Didn't know it was toast until I powered it up after it cooled down a bit.
A small 'pancake' or 'hotdog' (tank shapes) nail gun compressor with a 2 or more gallon tank should easily put out enough pressure for textile airbrush paints. Don't bother with a tire inflator compressor. They boast 200 PSI, but it takes them all day to get there.

In my experience it's best to avoid anything with the word "kit" in, they are not fit for most purposes. As mentioned above a shop compressor is likely to be your best and cheapest option - noisy for sure - but ideal as for fabric you need enough pressure to push the paint into the fabric, too low it will sit on top and wash out easier. Also as far as airbrushed go, save up the money for a decent one. While you won't be doing detail, the soft metals of cheap brushes means they won't work well for any kind of painting after only a couple of uses. I recommend Iwsta eclipse, if you can find a .5 or get the .5 conversion it will be even better for your use. Not cheap, but a quality workhorse that will last. Plus should you wish to get into detail later, it can do that too.

Back