Attempt at Glowing White Light

T

Truestory242

Here was my third Lord of the Rings painting. It was my first time working with transparent paints too. I placed the tree and stars stencil and painted the background over it all. It turned out pretty well and I was pleased with it. When I pulled the stencil off, however, I saw exactly how dark the background was in comparison. There was a lot of underspray as well. I went over the tree and stars with white to add the foggy glow effect which turned out alright, but I messed up a couple places. Then I went over it with a very light blue to try to darken it to reduce the contrast with the background.

I've decided that I'll probably just redo this particular piece. This was done in about three hours, but I learned a lot in the process.

White Tree.jpg

You've learnt something so it's a successful piece.
Well done
That's exactly my mindset. Every single painting I've done, good or bad, has been a learning experience. And each painting has seemed better than the last in these first months of my painting experience.

Yes indeed. By underspray are you referring to spray getting under a shield or masking? Try reducing the pressure around them. Maybe use a weight to hold the edges. I like using magnets.

@markjthomson I'm using stencil adhesive. I might try reducing the pressure, but it's difficult with the small edges like the star points. The other option is to spray the white over the rest of the painting, I suppose.

With paint creep under your stencils.

With a loose stencil you just need to learn to spray light and away from the edge.
With tape or a masking , you can first spray transparent base over the edges. This fills up the little voids left by taping and does not allow paint to creep under the edges.

If say you want crisp color on color it is also common to spray the background color over the edges of the mask first.

That is how you get super crisp edges on helmets cars motorcycles etc.

With paint creep under your stencils.

With a loose stencil you just need to learn to spray light and away from the edge.
With tape or a masking , you can first spray transparent base over the edges. This fills up the little voids left by taping and does not allow paint to creep under the edges.

If say you want crisp color on color it is also common to spray the background color over the edges of the mask first.

That is how you get super crisp edges on helmets cars motorcycles etc.
Great advice. I'll have to use transparent base in the future.

As a total novice myself I think the learning part is as much fun as the finished piece. I think we cannot get better without doing our mistakes first and then rectifying them (hopefully) next time we try a similar thing. Everyone has to be a learner in any subject so hang tough buddy and truck on. Things only get better by experience.

Back