Auto Air Color over what compatible paints

W

whiskeymike

hello there. Brand new to air brushes, but have some experience with hvlp, spray cans, etc... I mainly work with sheet metal as a medium, for signs, auto, tool boxes, etc... I’d Like to find out suggestions or insight into what kind of paint is compatible with Auto Air Color from Createx. I ordered a set of transparent and opaque from them. I’m working on pieces that are up to 3’x4’, so I don’t think I want to do the base with the air brush, nor with paint that runs $8 for 4 ounces.

Is the a clear primer for metal or can I use clear top count as the base to allow the metal shine or grinder texture come through? And then airbrush over that and then finish with the clear?

Also curious about opaque base coats. Can I use rustoleum, krylon, Montana, Duplicolor spray paints as a base safely? Interested in their normal colors as well as some of the specialty paints like their candy paints.

hello there. Brand new to air brushes, but have some experience with hvlp, spray cans, etc... I mainly work with sheet metal as a medium, for signs, auto, tool boxes, etc... I’d Like to find out suggestions or insight into what kind of paint is compatible with Auto Air Color from Createx. I ordered a set of transparent and opaque from them. I’m working on pieces that are up to 3’x4’, so I don’t think I want to do the base with the air brush, nor with paint that runs $8 for 4 ounces.

Is the a clear primer for metal or can I use clear top count as the base to allow the metal shine or grinder texture come through? And then airbrush over that and then finish with the clear?

Also curious about opaque base coats. Can I use rustoleum, krylon, Montana, Duplicolor spray paints as a base safely? Interested in their normal colors as well as some of the specialty paints like their candy paints.
As far as I’m aware, AutoAir seems to be a pretty resilient paint. Like most waterbourne it works via mechanical adhesion, so you should be able to use it over pretty much any base as long as you scuff the base first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I’m aware, AutoAir seems to be a pretty resilient paint. Like most waterbourne it works via mechanical adhesion, so you should be able to use it over pretty much any base as long as you scuff the base first.

And of course, Welcome to the forum.

Si is right, auto air is a pretty resilient paint. What ever you decide to finish you metal panel with will need to be wet sanded to provide a surface for your auto air to grip to, and don’t forget to clear coat any artwork or airbrushing you do.
I usually use clear out of a spray can because I’m not set up to spray clear and never do enough to justify a booth

Theres autoborne clear sealer, but for what your doing regular clear will work.

That said, if it's steel you'll wanta solvent clear first.

Compatibility wise , it's extremely neutral and basically works with any other paint. Over, or under.... With adequate dry time.

You can clear straight over a ground metal panel, it should adhere pretty well as it will have a good key. From there you can paint over with whatever you like. Auto air will work over that and should also work on a bare panel as ling as its had a sanding so that the AA paint has something to grab onto.

Lee

Back