Auto air compared to wicked

J

jaystacy

Saw a book about using auto air colors however I have wicked colors. So my question is do these two lines spray simular because the book is around 30 bucks.

Both are from createx and they probably wouldn't brand it under different names if they behaved the same.

I have limmited experience with both so I might get corrected here.

Autoair is sold especialy with custom paint in mind and thus should work nicely on hard surfaces (it also has a candy range). Wicked is meant more for illustration work (though a lot of people also seem to use it for custom work).

Wicked is a lot more pigment heavy than autoair in my experience, so yes there is a difference and an inexperienced person might find it troublesome when switching from one to the other (a more experienced airbrushed should quickly have a feel for the difference and how to adjust his reduction and presure etc)

OK thanks so basically the auto will spray smoother thru a .35 unreduced compared to wicked. And due to less pigment I'd need more layers with auto to get same color as wicked.

OK thanks so basically the auto will spray smoother thru a .35 unreduced compared to wicked. And due to less pigment I'd need more layers with auto to get same color as wicked.

That's what it should amount to, I also wouldn't exclude the possibility that autoair has chemicals added for better adhesion to custom surfaces (hardly ever used it so never read a tech sheet of it) which might influence how you need to reduce it (might be it can't be reduced with "normal" water).

The biggest difference between those 2 is in my opinion the adhesive effect.
If you heat auto air with an air-dryer it will stay there rock solid.
You can scratch with you nails over the surface without damaging it.
I use Auto air black and white as a basecoat on metal object, so I can use e'tac over it.
With wicked you cant do this trick.

The biggest difference between those 2 is in my opinion the adhesive effect.
If you heat auto air with an air-dryer it will stay there rock solid.
You can scratch with you nails over the surface without damaging it.
I use Auto air black and white as a basecoat on metal object, so I can use e'tac over it.
With wicked you cant do this trick.
Wow! Copied this to my spreadsheet. Nice to know!

Wicked is designed as a use for everything airbrush paint auto-air is designed for automotive clear coated applications. Wicked detail is a finer pigment then wicked. Createx has a ton of info on there site. I like the wicked detail line and have used it for illustration t-shirts a toolbox and motorcycles. Works well little tough to clean out the airbrush but create airbrush restorer kicks but.

Back