autoborn vs epoxy with auto air

action

Young Tutorling
I had success using ppg epoxy primer with auto air and cleared on test panels . I m doing a mc tank part with ppg single stage and part with auto air. Since i m not too experienced I would like opinions on whether I can skip the autoborn and just use the ppg epoxy primer.

So if i have this right....
This is what you do now.....Epoxy primer, Autobourne sealer, AutoAir, then clear....
The autobourne sealer gives a good adhesive area for both the primer and AutoAir...I do not know if I explained it right.
Lets try again...lol
The sealer adheres to the primer really well and the AutoAir adheres really well to the sealer...there much better....
I wouldn't skip the sealer because AutoAir adheres better to the sealer than it does to primers.
Hope this helped

Yes you can. I answered your other post in the step-by-step section a little more thoroughly regarding the same question before I Nope. The sealer is more critical when doing a full respray or color change. Sealer is necessary to keep the new color consistent over the entire vehicle or whatever surface you're painting. The sealer also promotes good adhesion. As you've already experienced, Auto Air will adhere to the epoxy just fine without using sealer as long as the primer is cured and prepped correctly.
When using auto air I used autborn first. I used ppg epoxy primer with auto air followed by clear with success. Question is do I really need to use autoborn over the epoxy primer... before auto air and clear. I m using epoxy primer because part of the project has ppg single stage paint and balance has auto air.
Nope. The sealer is more critical when doing a full respray or color change. Sealer is necessary to keep the new color consistent over the entire vehicle or whatever surface you're painting. The sealer also promotes good adhesion. As you've already experienced, Auto Air will adhere to the epoxy just fine without using sealer as long as the primer is cured and prepped correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back