Automotive urethane over waterborne paint

B

birdsnest

I have a gallon of high end automotive clear coat and activator/reducer. Can that be used over a waterborne acrylic or should I just try it on a panel. This waterbased paint is so new to me, in fact haven't tried it yet. So many brands. Will probably try createx first. Don't have a gun yet either and don't know if I want the gun to be exclusively waterborne. Probably getting paranoid.

Yes you can use it over the waterbased paints, dont use regular createx as its a paint for t-suirts use the wicked or illastration as its made for autos

Yup, this is ok...

Now ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS read what the manufacturer of both the waterborne and the clear have to say about compatible products. The information is available and is not secret, the manufacturers want you to get it right and go to great lengths to make sure it right. The first question to answer if there is a "failure" or a reaction is "Did you follow the manufacturers recommendations..." or a simple RTFM! :)

Yup, this is ok...

Now ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS read what the manufacturer of both the waterborne and the clear have to say about compatible products. The information is available and is not secret, the manufacturers want you to get it right and go to great lengths to make sure it right. The first question to answer if there is a "failure" or a reaction is "Did you follow the manufacturers recommendations..." or a simple RTFM! :)
I get it but it is so weird to think about a urethane over water cause it's so new to me. But you're right, a little research goes a long way.

So createx wicked is an ok choice as my first airbrush paint?
There are pro's and cons and compromises with all airbrush paints, there is no one does it all but there are some that do a lot, the wicked series falls into that category and it's great for your application. :)

Oh and pics or it didn't happen... please...? We love to see what people are doing!

90% of the cars build since 2000 are clear coated over water based paint due to EPA standards changing on VOC laws.Most high end body shops have switched over to using water based paints as well.
But there are a few different steps involved on using wax and grease removers .

90% of the cars build since 2000 are clear coated over water based paint due to EPA standards changing on VOC laws.Most high end body shops have switched over to using water based paints as well.
But there are a few different steps involved on using wax and grease removers .
I'm old school so this endeavor will get me more up to date on newer paint technology and that's a good thing.

As the others have mentioned, yes, a urethane clear coat can be used over water-based paint. Your first coat of clear should be a light tack coat and allow it to flash (time frame will depend on your climate and the reducer you're using). This gives the urethane a chance to soak in and acclimate to the water-based paint. After the tack coat, you can hammer the clear on normally.

As the others have mentioned, yes, a urethane clear coat can be used over water-based paint. Your first coat of clear should be a light tack coat and allow it to flash (time frame will depend on your climate and the reducer you're using). This gives the urethane a chance to soak in and acclimate to the water-based paint. After the tack coat, you can hammer the clear on normally.
I understand thanx

I do it all the time on helmets. Try Trident Water based. Great paint. Completely compatible with clear coats . Layers can be built up as you go. Clear over paint. Then paint over clear, and so on till you come to your final coats of clear to get your gloss. I use single pac auto clear, followed by 1200 wet and dry, then 1500 and last 2000. Follow up with cut and polish compound, and then wax. Fantastic gloss. Works for me. Not allowed to spray 2pac in my residential area.

Back