Badger 105 Patriot good for a beginner?

pshit

Gravity Guru
I want to buy my first airbrush and according to Google Badger 105 Patriot is a good one for beginners. Is it true?

My budget is 100 - 150$ CAD . I want a brush that can do some details. That's easy to use and to clean.

Tomorrow I'm going to a store to try some airbrushes.

If you can make it to Maple Airbrush Supplies(Edmonton) will guide you for best bang for your buck for your needs.
@Maple Art is a member here and used by many and highly recommended

I can't go to Edmonton, it's at the other end of Canada.

He can recommend me something that I can order here in Montreal.

I can't go to Edmonton, it's at the other end of Canada.

He can recommend me something that I can order here in Montreal.
Sorry, I have no idea of the geographical layout of Canada lol I'm in the Southern Hemisphere !
I don't think Maple deals with Badger but they do Sparmax. If you are considering online purchasing then yes, a call to Donna and her team at Maple Airbrush is worth it.
Spraygunner (USA) is another online retailer that has a good reputation from the members here. (quick postage, great support) They also deal with GSI airbrushes that may be a bit friendlier on your wallet.

The 105 can be a pretty decent brush. I like that you can change them up relatively easily by going with bigger or smaller conversion kits, down to the Super Detail set used in the Xtreme Patriot. I have personally seen some issues with the quality of my more recent acquisitions from the brand, which may make a beginner question their own progress in learning to use the airbrush. But, the company has a good reputation for standing behind the products, should any sort of issues arise.

Others that I generally try to point newbies towards would be the Iwata Eclipse. A true workhorse of a brush that can do it all once the user becomes proficient with it. Built like a tank, they can last a lifetime.

If willing to order from the States (Sprayguner is located in Florida) I highly recommend having a look at the Creos GSI PS289. Fantastic brush at a great price.

I would also suggest at least giving Donna at Maple Airbrush a call - she is extremely knowledgeable, and very helpful.

Last edited:
I can stretch my budget to 180$ and get the Eclipse HP-SBS. Is it good and easy to take care?

My local store sells the hp-cs for 200$ . I might get it tomorrow.

Last edited:
I can stretch my budget to 180$ and get the Eclipse HP-SBS. Is it good and easy to take care?

The Eclipse brushes are very good. They are typical in terms of cleaning, and maintenance. Very robust, and quality build.

I have never yet heard anyone be disappointed with an Iwata Eclipse. The side brushes are a versatile brush, you can get larger cups for them if you decide you need more paint at a time - not always a good idea as some paints will settle and seperate before you empty your cup but for primers/sealers & clear coats the larger cup comes in handy. the eclipses also have the self centring nozzle so that's good for newcomers too.

This is the nozzle setup, its one piece. in other airbrushes the tiny silver tip is a seperate entity which is extremely easy to drop and lose :)
upload_2021-2-26_12-31-35.png

Back