For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Best approach?

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by sevastra, May 11, 2015.

1. sevastra

sevastra Needle-chuck Ninja

[​IMG]

How would you go about achieving that wet eye look in color with the reflected light?
    Also when doing something like this, you would build up layers of colors to finally come to the desired red/pinkish tones of the eye, no? No shading with black or anything? Going form black and grey work to color is really hard! The first thing i want to do with every piece is break out the blacks
  2. wmlepage

wmlepage Elite Member! Elite Member!

Definitely a slow build up of color. The wet loom is about getting the highlight right.
    sevastra and MeeshellMP like this.
  3. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Like wmlepage said its about getting the highlights right,To pull it off use an eraser and blade on the highlights to get back to the white on the paper or you could also use masking to keep it white then pull off the masking?
    sevastra likes this.
  4. splasha

splasha Detail Decepticon!

One of the biggest problems with this one is the amount of detail contained in the reflection itself.
    It looks like window panes, trees etc on the central ones, the one on the right hand side would be, imho, the easier of the 2 to re-create.
    that one's just a matter of getting the colour and shapes right. its position on the eye does the rest.
    sevastra likes this.
  5. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

There are a couple of aproaches, I'd be very carefull with black though as pure black isn't in there (realy dark is only in the eye and eye lashes but those aren't black), darkest colors around that are a dark brown.

[​IMG]

Also don't be fooled by those highlights they are far from white. If you do those with an erasor they will look way off:

[​IMG]

How to approach this would depend on wether you go for opaques or for transparants (or a mix of both).

I think I'd mainly use transparants to buil up my "general" colors doing the initial layout in burnt umber while keeping a very close eye on the greyscales. For the darks in the eye I'd probably switch to sepia for the initial layout. In this case I'd "paint" the highlights so whan doing the initial layout also make sure the dark parts (reflections) in those are also done.

Next add colors. A rough guestemate would be it would need skintone folowed by erasng for texture, red ocher, blue and maybe a bit of purple for theskintones and "white" of the eye. You'll need to do a lot of detail work during this so it's not only ading color. For the ye green, blue and yellow would be needed followed by some erasing.

Next I'd do a white wash followed by correcting of the colors where needed.

Mix up the realy darks (I'd just color match this with opaques) and do those parts. Mix the highlight colors (again I'd use opaques). In both the light and dark case you'd need to mix a coule of variations of thelight or dark and I don't think it would matter if you's do the light or dark 1st as you use opaques.

But there is a gazzilion way's to do this :)
    sevastra and Strictly Attitude like this.
  6. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Mod

So @haasje dutchairbrush the whitewash you speak of, is that like the reduced white you described in the unicorn...?
  7. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Yes, it's just hitting everything with a very reduced white to give it a bit of translucent effect and blend the colors a bit.
    sevastra and markjthomson like this.
  8. sevastra

sevastra Needle-chuck Ninja

Thanks everyone, thats a big help! :) :):)