Bill's Wild trip

Wild.Bill

Double Actioner
I really like to idea of these logs as a way to go back and see my progress. Like a lot of others I have to say that I am not an artist but I can be creative. I have done a lot of art using a laser to etch images/pictures and in the early days there was a lot of learning like there is here.

For the boat the bottom has been painted and sanded with 1000 grit paper and is ready for the clear. I will add a picture after its complete.

For the art side I am still working on just getting a good feel for doing the finer things. Have spent a bunch of time working with shields and getting hard and soft edges. I also have done some work with stencils and using them go get a rough outline of things. Not being an artist the proportions a all wacky if I try to do thins free hand. This is a picture of working with a stencil today and I will say that I really, really didn't like the green paint. It was a medium viscosity paint that is not sold as airbrush paint and it just didn't thin down well. I was able to do a lot of fine lines and dots with it but viscosity seemed to keep changing going through the brush. I mixed it well, let sit for 15 minutes, mixed again and started using it. Won't be doing that again.

I didn't like the way the green was coming out so I just stopped working on it. I could have blended t a lot better but I just dumped the paint out of the brush. Its the first thing I have tried to do that was not just paint a bigger surface. I am sure a year from now I will just wonder what i was thinking.

Bill
IMG_1061.JPG

These logs are a great idea… as long as we remember to update them (yes I’m looking at me lol)
Try straining your paint (womens stockings can be handy if you don’t have a ‘proper’ mesh -190micron is recommended)
That’s the consequences of not using ‘proper’ airbrush paint, results can vary huuuugely

I have plenty of paint for the airbrush but the one that I used was the only green that I have, and wanted to see if it would thin down. Next time I won't be lazy and will mix a few other colors to get the green.

Right now all my focus is on learning so I will look at this as learning what not to do next time. Looking at the seahorse get me to thinking about what I should try next. Here is an image that I etched into a ceramic tile using a laser. It will take me some time to do it but I think it might be good to get me to the next level.IMG_1063.JPG

Basic skill's are getting better and had a good day today. The thing learned was that I can get much smoother shading/fill when using a gun with a smaller needle and working further away from the image. The other thing is that today I was using Golden High Flow paint thinned 20% in a gun with a 0.2 needle.

Everything is an exercise in learning.
Remember not to back up to far, the paint will dry before it hits your substrate and look grainy

Basic skill's are getting better and had a good day today. The thing learned was that I can get much smoother shading/fill when using a gun with a smaller needle and working further away from the image. The other thing is that today I was using Golden High Flow paint thinned 20% in a gun with a 0.2 needle.
Sounds like today was a good learning day! Being closer to the surface will often lead to more intense colour quickly. So yeah, back up and going gentle is the key. As you progress you’ll find you can control soft shading closer up, but that all comes with time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding to the log. The boat project is now complete. Putting the Createx UVLS Gloss was another learning step. For the first coat I had a mat finish rather than glosss. I did some more reading and found that you should have a cloudy look when spraying it on. In the end it appeared that I had way over sprayed to get the cloudy look but it dried to a nice gloss finish.
I did end up getting another brush - ps-290 after the first coat and this brush with the fan tip I could put down lots of paint. So more learning and another tool.

Bill

IMG_1064.JPG

Another update for the log - finished another Grinch along with a lot of small exercises. I finally feel like I am getting better control. I put a lot more work into this Grinch because the original template that I made only had the face features so I started by putting them onto paper again then took that paper and hand drew the rest of the head. Made a paper cutout of the head and used it as a mask and put all the background color, which was an important step because I knew that I could put an even coat of paint to get a smooth color (which didn't happen with the green). Then I put the black down using the original template that I made and did a little shading around the eye and then added the yellow in the eyes. The green was a real pain and putting it down would start smooth and slowly get worse until there was no flow. At this point my best guess is its a paint that was not made for airbrushing and I think the pigment is a little to large for an airbrush. I had the paint very thin, actually a little to thin and when I would start it work work fine but very slowly start to clog the needle. I was not something sudden like what would happen if there was a clump in the paint, I think that the pigment would slowly build up and then would start to spit. So in the process I managed to clog up both of my 0.3 airbrushes so I grabbed my Patriot 105 with its 0.5 needle. In time this AB clogged up as well so the next step was to clean all 3 AB's. Then I went back again with the Patriot and it was just working when I finished putting the color down.
At this point if I want it better I will start again from scratch and I probably will sometimes soon because I know I can do better. There were other things that I was going to out in but don't want to touch this one any more. One positive from this project it has me thinking more about the order you do the different parts.

I usually use Golden High Flow paint and don't have any problems with it. I my exercises I have been using coloring books and painting them. I have been able to work some very fine areas which has given me more confidence that I can start creating finer things. It's just the damn green that has given me problems, so its time to go buy some more Golden High Flow paint in more colors.

I have another project that I have also been working on which is a Tiki that is all in different gray tones. This exercise is to work on smooth scaling of tones and to work on fine highlights and shadows. I have mixed up 3 bottles of different gray tones and have had no problem with those mixes (all made from Golden paints). So now as time permits I will get back to work on that one.

IMG_1065.JPG

Progress :). It's not always necessary to use an even coat of paint. I actually like the uneven green value because it adds texture without attempting to add texture. It could use some more refinement after the initial layer, but that will come with more experience too! Nice job!

Nice job Bill!
As Trevor has said, an even coat of paint isn’t always what is wanted and the uneven look works for this one.
Progress and learning is what these pierces are all about. Keep at it and things will come along. Don’t forget you can always mix a green from your Golden colours if you have the primaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guy's, I was away from home longer than expected. I guess part of my initial comments are because I am a control freak and always like to get results that match what I was trying to do and at this point while still learning its more about the process and what I expect than the final results. For the Golden paint I have the black, white, blue and red and for some reason never ordered the green so I was missing the piece needed to mix colors. Now that I am home the green will get ordered today. Also following different threads and seeing what people have done in the past and doing know is inspiring so I do appreciate all the comments.

I came to wanting to do art with the airbrush from making art with lasers and one of the things I have been doing is paint white ceramic tiles with an even layer of black paint and then use the laser to etch the paint off to get the image I wanted. After clear coating them they could be used in a kitchen or bathroom. I understand the pain of learning because it took me 6 months with hardware and process development to get to the point where I knew what results I would be when I made something. So where I am now is learning and understanding the tools and developing the process needed. I see that learning about texture is also an important part of that development.

On the image I posted earlier I had been planning to do more with it but when I didn't get what I was expecting I stopped. I will keep doing them until I get what I want an incorporate some of the things that have been mentioned.

Here is an example of the things I was making with the laser, these are pictures of the tile after etching .....

IMG_0845-resizedM.jpg IMG_0861-resizedM.jpg

Thanks guy's, I was away from home longer than expected. I guess part of my initial comments are because I am a control freak and always like to get results that match what I was trying to do and at this point while still learning its more about the process and what I expect than the final results. For the Golden paint I have the black, white, blue and red and for some reason never ordered the green so I was missing the piece needed to mix colors. Now that I am home the green will get ordered today. Also following different threads and seeing what people have done in the past and doing know is inspiring so I do appreciate all the comments.

I came to wanting to do art with the airbrush from making art with lasers and one of the things I have been doing is paint white ceramic tiles with an even layer of black paint and then use the laser to etch the paint off to get the image I wanted. After clear coating them they could be used in a kitchen or bathroom. I understand the pain of learning because it took me 6 months with hardware and process development to get to the point where I knew what results I would be when I made something. So where I am now is learning and understanding the tools and developing the process needed. I see that learning about texture is also an important part of that development.

On the image I posted earlier I had been planning to do more with it but when I didn't get what I was expecting I stopped. I will keep doing them until I get what I want an incorporate some of the things that have been mentioned.

Here is an example of the things I was making with the laser, these are pictures of the tile after etching .....

View attachment 66588 View attachment 66589
These are really cool. That’s such an interesting art form.

Back