black or gray airbrush paint!

Keifer smeaton

Double Actioner
I am trying to find an airbrush paint black or grey, that looks similar to charcoal. I usually just over reduced createx Illustration black but it has more of a brown tint to it. I just want the rich grey color not brown Thanks

The Illustration greys are probably close to what you want. The illustration black out of the bottle is a warm black. If you want to make it more neutral or cool it down, add some moss green, or a touch of cobalt blue. I myself keep a bottle of black with just a touch of magenta in it for helping tint portraits while keeping a warm hue to the shadows I lay down. So maybe consider just tinting your existing black with other paints you have on hand.

I do find that the white pigment used in the CI greys can be a bit picky about going through a micron at the low pressures where I like to work, so I tend to just use black, mixed with a tiny bit of another color, some transparent medium and 4013 reducer. I can dial in any grey I want by the amount of paint I lay down.

I use the CI greys when I am working with a bigger tip brush, like my eclipse, or working at a higher pressure further from the canvas, and I need an opaque cover.

IMO the problem is redshift (or yellowshift?) when applying darker transparent tone over bright. You can add a drop of white, but you will lose some transparency. For urethanes I use black + candy black mix (my candy black has a blueish hue). Maybe drop of cerrulean/viridian, or candy20 tealiscious will fix it.
By the way: are these createx neutral grays opaque?

IMO the problem is redshift (or yellowshift?) when applying darker transparent tone over bright. You can add a drop of white, but you will lose some transparency. For urethanes I use black + candy black mix (my candy black has a blueish hue). Maybe drop of cerrulean/viridian, or candy20 tealiscious will fix it.
By the way: are these createx neutral grays opaque?
Yeah. the CI greys are made with white pigment mixes which makes them opaque. More opaque the lighter you go.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

That’s a lot of Greys to consider. Great info folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back