Brush Decisions and a mask

Whatever works for you in function, availability, and price, is perfect for that individual.

On a personal level nothing beats what my Iwatas can give me, and I firmly believe my "skills" such as they are have improved because of them. I've been able to focus on learning to paint - not learning how to make my brush work - it just does, every time.

On a forum involvement/avid internet airbrush nosey Parker level, having read thousands of reviews, opinions, and recommendations - Iwata always comes out tops for longevity, reliability, with hard wearing parts, and great service. And the big name pros use them. Sure some of them are sponsored, but they all make enough to choose to use any brush they want, and they still have to produce the goods - they won't waste time on tools that won't work.

If someone can get that from another brand at a fraction of the admittedly high price, then go for it I reckon. I'm sure there are many that don't get the exposure Iwata does. If they are good, hopefully that will change.

The prices of Iwatas are terrifying, but buy well, buy once is true in my case. I know I would have wasted more buying brushes I didn't like as much, and then ended up getting them anyway. I'm too tight with money for that malarkey! lol Some healthy competition would be nice though, to bring costs down a little.

770 seems to be headed there, I guess they've been selling out. Will iwata care enough to try and stay on top of things is my question. They could stop selling airbrushes tomorrow and it wouldn't put much of a dent in anest iwatas pocket

Do you have the blueprints? Tolerance specifications? Material spec? Or you are just guessing? how many iwatas and olympos do you have? You were airbrushing for how long? Could be that in your hands they perfom equially because you dont have the skills to take out the best of them?

This is the same attitude I was taking not long ago. Then Dave and Rob made such a compelling case, it was hard to argue that Iwata wasn't all they make themselves out to be.

I think the GSI CREOS MR Hobby company has some very good, and reasonably priced airbrushes. Although, I only have experience with the PS770 front end, it performs AMAZINGLY well. I'm seriously contemplating selling off my microns and buying 770's in place of them. If I did it right now, I could get almost 2 770's per micron sold.

First of all, Im not triying to start an argement here, but If one person said me in every post he write that Im an as...le because I threw my money buying x brand I want to know his knowledge, he must know something that I dont. I trust Dave, He pointed me to my new favorite brush and also the cheaper, but it is not the quality of an Iwata, same factory or not, and he also pointed me to use IWATA parts on it, I bought a 0.18 nozzle and neddle combo from the geos to put in my olympo, and they are nice parts but cant get the same fine line than with the micron parts, In fact as Dave pointed me, with the 0.2 HP-B+ combo I get finer and cleaner lines than with the both 0.18! I dont say that Roby is wrong, dont have a Geos, and definetively I am not an Iwata guy, but you cant assure somthing if you didnt have tryied all the brushes that is why Dave IS Dave!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Yeah when a guy owns 10 of every airbrush on the planet, and seems capable of manufacturing a brush of his own, I tend to accept that man's word as Gospel lol

So then....Dave is wrong when he posts the 770 needle and nozzle are the same as the micron except shaft length?

if they have different shaft length they are not identical or the same, they are similarand they perform similar but not equal. I believe that when he said are the same, I understand that they can be interchamgable as they have the same thread and needle diameter. But is him who has to answer that question, not me.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

In my relatively limited experience the GSI / Creos / Mr Hobby range seems to be a totally viable option especially for anyone on a tighter budget. The quality of my Creos is superb, while the Iwata range is obviously much broader, the end products seem to be of equal quality to me.
I’ve seen several far more experienced people say that as far as they’re concerned the two brushes are virtually identical and have swapped components successfully between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave's stated several times here that those particular parts perform the same. Even the 770 as a whole I believe.

For interchange alone even the Chinese parts will interchange. Point zero and master parts will fit.

Dave's stated several times here that those particular parts perform the same. Even the 770 as a whole I believe.

For interchange alone even the Chinese parts will interchange. Point zero and master parts will fit.
You’re right, interchangeable was the wrong word to use. I’d like to have the opportunity to try a 770 against my Micron, just for poops and giggles. I don’t think I’d be able to tell the difference from what I hear.

Well, idk yours is a .23 right? Maybe you would see some....idk
My hands on has been pretty much limited to the 270 and some time w a b + as Japanese brushes go. A little time w an eclipse but not much.

Last edited:
Well, idk yours is a .23 right? Maybe you would see some....idk
My hands on has been pretty much limited to the 270 and some time w a b + as Japanese brushes go. A little time w an eclipse but not much.
Yeah, mine is the .23. For me it would be more about the feel and the softness of the spray (if that’s the right wording). That was the first thing I noticed about mine.

Wow, did not think my question would elicit such responses! Glad it did though, learned a lot from this thread.
I have been looking on the net at these Procon Boy items just for info/research, also noted a lot of stuff by KKMoon.
More thought and research to be had before I decide to add to my single brush.

Also, you 'may' all be glad to know that my Force8 half mask respirator has arrived and is ready to be used (just as well
I think, as I started a new small painting and after laying the background base at 30psi then the base outlines/layers
of the subject at 20psi I became light headed and short of breath thus stopped for the day).

Also my 1Kg bag of Kaolin and tin of Titanium Dioxide arrived today, so I can hopefully soon make some of my own Clayboard and try this
scratching stuff and see what happens.

Great on the mask!
The kkmoons seem to be among some of the better Chinese made stuff.....they'd probably be an ok backup
From reading though it seems to be hit or miss like lot of them
They're related to my point zero....which is fair.....good after some tuning....if a little sloppy on fit. Dave's Facebook page has some info on some kkmoons

Last edited:
Great on the mask!
The kkmoons seem to be among some of the better Chinese made stuff.....they'd probably be an ok backup

Guess I will bypass them then! Definitely keeping an eye on the Procom Boy things. Still not sure what I will end up doing, but
at least I now know that there are 'other' makes out there that are just as good as the top end expensive stuff.

I like my Evolution CR plus, its the model just below the Infinity, but is in all intents and purposes the same bar the back end
and colour.

Appreciate all the info give on this thread (and older ones too).

Great on the mask!
They're related to my point zero....which is fair.....good after some tuning....if a little sloppy on fit.

My KKmmon was a POS. It was the side feed micron headed version. IT could barely spray. I did buy the PS770 head for it, and it worked really well but was so unbalanced and clunky I ended up shelving that brush for good. Maybe I'll use it for parts some day.

Part of the reason I'm GSI Creos fan. They seem to have a real value to dollar ratio.

True, I tend to compare them within their own level though...
And with the point zero its great fot the $30 ...after tuning. They def do not compare to Japanese made stuff.

My KKmmon was a POS. It was the side feed micron headed version. IT could barely spray. I did buy the PS770 head for it, and it worked really well but was so unbalanced and clunky I ended up shelving that brush for good. Maybe I'll use it for parts some day.

Part of the reason I'm GSI Creos fan. They seem to have a real value to dollar ratio.

And that puts paid to looking at KKMoon :laugh::thumbsup:. Yea, keeping eye on the PS770, 270 and 289 models.

Back