For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Built in regulators vs add-on regulators

Discussion in 'Airbrush Compressors' started by SprayAndYay, Jan 2, 2019.

1. SprayAndYay

SprayAndYay Young Tutorling

I was wondering if I needed to buy a regulator for an air compressor that already has one.

I received a cheap Master airbrush and mini compressor as a gift a couple years ago. Even with all the problems I was having, I still greatly enjoyed it. This year I received a Central Pneumatic 3 gallon pancake air compressor that has an internal pressure gauge and a regulator built in. I am really excited to use pneumatic tools AND have a better compressor for airbrushing.

After doing some research, I found many sources on recommended parts and setups. Most were the same: connector>gauge>regulator>filter>adapter>airbrush hose>airbrush. But I couldn't find whether a built in regulator would be good or not.

I am willing to buy the necessary parts for my airbrushing but I don't want to buy redundant parts if I don't have to. Can someone help?
    jord001 likes this.
  2. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

You don't need an additional regulator. In fact adding anything but a much smaller Mac valve style will do nothing but cause problems.
    SprayAndYay and jord001 like this.
  3. Robbyrockett2

Looking at that compressor in particular, you might need to add a water trap.

It may be easiest to get a filter regulator combo for that.....in which case you just crank the second regulator all the way open and only use the built in one.

I would use it without it first. Moisture is rarely a problem in my experience even with a 1 gallon compressor running an airbrush.
    SprayAndYay and jord001 like this.
  4. SprayAndYay

Thank you so much Robbyrockett2. I thought it would be the case but I didn't know how particular airbrushes were. I will be getting one piece of additional equipment, ear protection :)
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  5. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Very Likeable!

There's no need to wear that compressor as your ear buds. You can put it far away if you get long enough hose.

On the other hand you can crank volume up on your stereo with this:

compressor vs metal :D
  6. Robbyrockett2

Haha yeah, unfortunately there's not an easy way to add silencing to that compressor. Anything you could do would have you up around the $100 price of a decent quiet 1-2gal compressor anyhow.
  7. SprayAndYay

Cool music but its always good to have ear protection around loud equipment. Especially in a tiny room studio like I work in.
  8. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Mod

9. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel! Very Likeable!

The way I set mine up is I have a 50 foot airhose running from the compressor to a regulator/moisture trap at my painting table. It puts the compressor far away (less noise) and yet I can easily change my air pressure and see the gauge.
    doc1 likes this.