Buying Paint and confused??

Stu Dale

Double Actioner
Hi, after an earlier post on mixing Trident paints I have decided to buy a new line. I eventually decided on Createx Illustration but am now confused as to weather to buy the Transparent or Opaque. I am hoping to try portraits and animals. Just read the big post and am now totally perplexed. Initial thought was to buy the colour wheel set.

In theory you can make any paint transparent if you add Transparent base. But I never tried Illustration paints and I don't have a clue how much of ''transparent base'' their line of transparent colors have inside each bottle.

But, you can make Opagues more transparent. I am on wicked and classics. If this info is any help to you good, if not no harm done.

Personally I’d go with the transparent if you are thinking of portraits/animals, much more versatile and with practise you’ll be ‘mixing’ colours on the substrate (start with yellow laid some, a light mist of blue and you’ll get a green shift etc

Give me 5 min I’ll give you a shopping list lol

The transparent are much more versatile, in that you can easily add a bit of white to make them opaque. I strongly advocate a transparent set and you do not have to buy two separate sets.

In theory you can make any paint transparent if you add Transparent base. But I never tried Illustration paints and I don't have a clue how much of ''transparent base'' their line of transparent colors have inside each bottle.

But, you can make Opagues more transparent. I am on wicked and classics. If this info is any help to you good, if not no harm done.
You can thin opaque sand make them seem to be transparent. But truly the pigments are different. An opaque paint disperses light across its surface, a transparent actually allows light to pass through it and bounce back through the paint absorbing more of the light frequency depending on how deep it is. it. Similar to a dye.
The level of transparency varies between manufacturer.

You can thin opaque sand make them seem to be transparent. But truly the pigments are different. An opaque paint disperses light across its surface, a transparent actually allows light to pass through it and bounce back through the paint absorbing more of the light frequency depending on how deep it is. it. Similar to a dye.
The level of transparency varies between manufacturer.
good info. I learn something new each day on our forum.

And with that.. I guess I better make that video ✌️

From Airbrush Megastore

30ml illustration set.
https://airbrushmegastore.com.au/il...olor-wheel-set-includes-t-base-reducer-detail
the 30ml bottles are much nicer to use than the 60ml ones. and being a smaller bottle you will quickly discover what color you use the most. Just remember, you only need a few drops of paint, by the time you add reducer / trans base you'll have half a cup full :)
240 ml trans base (5090)
https://airbrushmegastore.com.au/il...s-list-1/5090-transparent-base/240ml-3-detail

120ml Restorer (4008) This stuff is reusable and THE best thing when your brush gets constipated !!
https://airbrushmegastore.com.au/auto-air-colors/sundries-list/4008-restorer

480ml 'hi temp' reducer (4011) You get the 4012 reducer in the colorwheel set but recently a lot of people seem to be having issues with it, being in Q'land you should be able to use the 4011 all year round without problem,
https://airbrushmegastore.com.au/auto-air-colors/sundries-list/4011-high-temp-reducer/480ml-detail

Hi, after an earlier post on mixing Trident paints I have decided to buy a new line. I eventually decided on Createx Illustration but am now confused as to weather to buy the Transparent or Opaque. I am hoping to try portraits and animals. Just read the big post and am now totally perplexed. Initial thought was to buy the colour wheel set.
And the original color wheel set is a fantastic route to go. I won’t go so far as saying the illustrations are the best paint.. I don’t believe such thing exists. But there is a lot of strengths, and the color pallete can save you a lot of paint mixing once you learn to utilize it well.

And the original color wheel set is a fantastic route to go. I won’t go so far as saying the illustrations are the best paint.. I don’t believe such thing exists. But there is a lot of strengths, and the color pallete can save you a lot of paint mixing once you learn to utilize it well.

I agree there is no 'perfect' paint, we're all different in how we want to use it, if we weren't there would only be one type of paint that would work globally :)
when I first started I had a love/hate relationship with Createx (all ranges) but as my experience and confidence grew I liked the createx more and more.

@Stu Dale if you ever feel like tearing your hair out when you get going with the paints, we are all here to help and guide you, that's what this place does best. We build peoples confidence, we don't tear them down :)

I didn't say anything so you wouldn't feel pressured. I was just waiting for that video in my silence :laugh:
There would be a video today... (not that one) but my Internet has been in and out all week.

think of opaque as a sheet of colored paper... no matter how many sheets you add it’s the same. The difference being you can spray the paint thin enough it doesn’t achieve full coverage. But that’s almost exactly the science. Although no paint is 100 percent opaque and no transparent pigment is as clear as a dye (candies are a dye not a pigment)

transparents are like transparent sheet... add a sheet it changes darker... another darker still and so on and so on.

You can always make a transparent paint opaque, but you can’t make an opaque paint transparent.
As stated, you can add trans base, but it will just require more layers to get to full opacity.

I agree there is no 'perfect' paint, we're all different in how we want to use it, if we weren't there would only be one type of paint that would work globally :)
when I first started I had a love/hate relationship with Createx (all ranges) but as my experience and confidence grew I liked the createx more and more.

@Stu Dale if you ever feel like tearing your hair out when you get going with the paints, we are all here to help and guide you, that's what this place does best. We build peoples confidence, we don't tear them down :)
I started right here! Even still have one of your paintings here Jackie!

Haha, good to hear :) that was my first venture with Createx Illustration and I found out afterwards that the needle tip was bent - the joys of training wheels lol

Haha, good to hear :) that was my first venture with Createx Illustration and I found out afterwards that the needle tip was bent - the joys of training wheels lol
I just let them stay bent, because as long as they are bent I don’t have to worry about ever dropping them, Sure it sprays a little wonky but I don’t wanna get used to having nice things

Well, you learn something new every day. I did not even know they had an opaque line. I thought the there was only only line, the one Dru developed. I'll stick to that line.

From Airbrush Megastore

30ml illustration set.
https://airbrushmegastore.com.au/il...olor-wheel-set-includes-t-base-reducer-detail
the 30ml bottles are much nicer to use than the 60ml ones. and being a smaller bottle you will quickly discover what color you use the most. Just remember, you only need a few drops of paint, by the time you add reducer / trans base you'll have half a cup full :)
240 ml trans base (5090)
https://airbrushmegastore.com.au/il...s-list-1/5090-transparent-base/240ml-3-detail

120ml Restorer (4008) This stuff is reusable and THE best thing when your brush gets constipated !!
https://airbrushmegastore.com.au/auto-air-colors/sundries-list/4008-restorer

480ml 'hi temp' reducer (4011) You get the 4012 reducer in the colorwheel set but recently a lot of people seem to be having issues with it, being in Q'land you should be able to use the 4011 all year round without problem,
https://airbrushmegastore.com.au/auto-air-colors/sundries-list/4011-high-temp-reducer/480ml-detail
Thanks for the shopping list, will be buying this afternoon, didn't think about the restorer. What do you think about getting a bottle of opaque white as well? The hair went a long time ago. :)

Back