Candy 2 ohhh and others

I just had a total nightmare with Candy2o... Thought I'd share it here in case it saves anyone some pain.

I created some airbrushed art on a guitar using Createx Illustration Black and White mixed with about 25% 4030 clear base and reduced 10% with 4012.

Gave it a coat of Emerald Green Candy2o - which ended up being darker than I wanted. No fault of the candy here - just my inexperience of how deep the colour goes down.

However when I tried to spray over it with more CI white it bled through horribly, and even ended up with little spots where the paint totally failed causing blotchy islands all over the artwork. The more I tried to cover it up, the worse it got.

I now understand that you need to seal Candy2o with 4040 bleed checker if you want to subsequently spray over the top of it, I also understand the older method was to use 4004 as a sealing coat.

In my case I ended up sanding the Candy2o completely off and will continue using transparent colours instead of candy to achieve the effects I need.

This was frustrating because I'd seen loads of YouTube videos of people doing monochrome artwork and colouring it with candys, then adding more opaque colour (highlights) and adding more candies. None of them had to apply an intermediate sealer to stop the candy bleeding. Could be that different brands behave differently of course.

Anyway, YMMV but I'd recommend testing your choice of candy on some scrap before you ruin the final artwork. (Yes I should have tested it first).

HTH
Yes, bleed through is an issue, but it’s not just Candy2o as far as I’m aware. Many times people doing true fire with Solvent candies will cover each layer with Intercoat Clear, they just don’t always show it on the video. The 4040 does work pretty well, but must be left to dry well. Still, it’s another lesson learnt and that’s what it’s all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just watched wickedartstudio's excellent video "Airbrush Tutorial: Airbrushing with Candy2o Part 1" - I wish I'd watched that a week ago lol ;)

As it happens I was using the same Emerald Green Candy in the video. It really does go down dark.

For me the problem wasn't adding highlights over the candy, I was trying to lay flat colour over it and that was a disaster. So I reckon the bleed effect is more pronounced if you try to create flat areas of heavy colour over the candy.

Also another possible thing that might have made the bleed through worse was that I also used 4030 in the opaque top coat. I heard that 4030 will re-activate itself, so it's possible that the 4030 in the top coat re-activated the 4030 in the Candy2o and made the bleed through a lot worse than if I didn't use 4030 in the top opaque white. Just some thoughts...

I just watched wickedartstudio's excellent video "Airbrush Tutorial: Airbrushing with Candy2o Part 1" - I wish I'd watched that a week ago lol ;)

As it happens I was using the same Emerald Green Candy in the video. It really does go down dark.

For me the problem wasn't adding highlights over the candy, I was trying to lay flat colour over it and that was a disaster. So I reckon the bleed effect is more pronounced if you try to create flat areas of heavy colour over the candy.

Also another possible thing that might have made the bleed through worse was that I also used 4030 in the opaque top coat. I heard that 4030 will re-activate itself, so it's possible that the 4030 in the top coat re-activated the 4030 in the Candy2o and made the bleed through a lot worse than if I didn't use 4030 in the top opaque white. Just some thoughts...
The exact science starts to confuse me quickly, so I’m not stating a fact lol, but I think the Reducer is the culprit as much as anything. I have had small lines bleed immediately and Createx say not to reduce the 4040 as you want a different material to stop an re-activation. That would also suggest that the 4030 would re-activate itself too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to seal the candy 2o before painting over top to stop bleed thru. This is a dye and not a paint pigment. Always seal on final also as the clear will cause bleed ....If you are using 4030, and 4012 reducer, seal with a totally different product. I use 4040 bleed checker in between layers of candy and then use trans base 4004 for my final seal before clear. You are not supposed to reduce the 4040, but I have reduced the 4004 with 4012 for my final seal and have not had a bleed thru during clearing. Always allow drying time after the 4040 or 4004. I usually allow around 1 hr for the 4040 and it helps to have airflow over your work (using airbrush or a fan at a distance and not blowing directly at ) and over night for my 4004 final seal ....
If I needed to do a bigger area over the Candy, I would use clear to seal it. Just remember that the clear would have to be scuffed after drying for a day....
I also learned the hard way..lollollol

Back