candy fading

T

tony54321

I was going to start and paint with just candies but I read they fade over time .is it really noticeable for artwork i use a lot of black.

If your project will be in the sun and you’re worried about fading then put a suitable UV clear coat on it.

If your painting will never see the sun then just put a protective clear coat on it

I was going to start and paint with just candies but I read they fade over time .is it really noticeable for artwork i use a lot of black.
As the other have said, any fading issues would usually been on automotive work that sits in the sun for years on end. Even then you never really know how much money was spent on the protective clear coat, and weather that was high in UV protection or a cheaper product. Craig Fraser uses a ton of candies and has done for years. Most of the show trucks he painted in the 90’s are still touring round and are still looking fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as automotive work is concerned, all urethane clear coats designed for the industry have some degree of UV inhibitors in them. Some more than others, but all of them have it. It's true many of us have used aniline dye based candies in our automotive work for years. It's also true that those paint jobs last for many years when properly taken care of. Unfortunately, it is also true that all dye based candies will fade when subjected to the sun regardless of how much UV inhibitor is added to the clear coat. The UV rays from the sun are too powerful and break down the dye over time. A good clear will slow the process down substantially, but the candies will still fade. It's a very slow process that happens over many, many years though. Because the process is so slow, most people will never realize the candies have faded. There are ways to mitigate the fading as well. For example, using a like color as a base under a candy.

Back