Can't get Air Hose off Air Valve (H&S Ultra)

G

Grant C

Hi, I can't seem to get the air hose off my air valve - I guess it was screwed on too tight, so now when I try to take off the hose the air valve just unscrews from the rest of the AB.

So I end up with the air value on the end of the air hose, but I can't get a good enough grip on the air valve to unscrew it. I don't want to use pliers as they might ruin the threads or the finish on the air valve. There's a sort of groove down the threads of the air valve that should provide some purchase if I could make use of it.

Doesn't seem like a great design to be honest, as this is always going to happen if the air hose gets screwed on tighter than the air valve is.

Any suggestions?

Wrap electrical tape around the airvalve and the hose - separately & use a decent amount. It will give sufficient grip for two sets of pliers and enough protection.
In future just do them finger tight not finger tight and a bit

Normally I'd recommend a "strap wrench" but the parts may be too small for this.
There may be a rubber pad in your kitchen used to open stubborn jar lids. This might help.
It will be more effective to put tape, or better "moleskin" on the jaws of pliers if the pliers are needed. Moleskin is an artificial product found in pharmacies for cushioning corns and calluses on feet.
Use Teflon tape on the joint when you get it open.

No moles were harmed in this post.

Sent from my NS-P10A6100 using Tapatalk

Good idea(s), that gives me something to go on. Can't think of anything rubber I've got but I do have some electrical tape. Not sure about Moleskin, maybe the wife will have some - thinking about it, a normal plaster might do the trick as well. Might even have some PTFE tape lying around to prevent future problems as suggested - I thought the threads might be a bit fine for that, but I'll give it a go. (Plus just being more gentle when tightening!).

Thanks.

Back