Clayboad problem

beginner-James

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Yep I have a problem with my Golden High Flow Acrylic paint on my clayboad.

This morning I tried to erase on my clayboad with fibre pen & all my soft erasers and it was like power erasing 99% of my strokes where going straight back to white clayboad which is not a problem in it's self when that is what you want but I just wanted a layer or two of paint removed and two add more fur. The pressure of my erasing strokes where very light not my normal heavy handed approach as Jacky explained stroke rather than scratch to erase ESP as I only wanted to remove minimal paint

why has this happened and can I do anything to reverse this.

Beginner-James

So first question... how long did you leave the paint after application...? How thick was the layer of paint you put on then tried to remove? To reverse it, re apply the paint to that area...

with erasing techniques you go back and forth with paint and eraser , a fiber pen could prove to be to harsh for clayboard and should not be used if a soft eraser can do the job but only if the soft or hard erasers are not up to the job.
let me see if I can explain this eraser thing : you lay down 1 layer erase the fur lines lay down the next layer if you need /want more depth repeat this as you go along if you dont want /need white lines end with a layer paint

with erasing techniques you go back and forth with paint and eraser , a fiber pen could prove to be to harsh for clayboard and should not be used if a soft eraser can do the job but only if the soft or hard erasers are not up to the job.
let me see if I can explain this eraser thing : you lay down 1 layer erase the fur lines lay down the next layer if you need /want more depth repeat this as you go along if you dont want /need white lines end with a layer paint
This is the first time I've seen someone say this in a way that clicks for me.

your first layer of paint will show the substrate but will be buried as you lay down progressive layers, it helps build depth to the piece. Your first layer or two will look very harsh and not as subtle as you may want but rest assured, it will look better once you add more layers.
Dont try and put tiny detail in the first layer, it will only get buried, you are building depth on the first layer or two.
I could have cried when i did my first few pieces of erasing / scratching. I spent ages putting in what i thought i needed, only to find out most of it got buried as I progressed.

I suggest you grab a smaller piece (printer paper size works well) of claybord and use that as your practise board. lay down a base coat of paint, at one end do minimal erasing/scratch but enough to show direction of hair/fur, and make it fairly dramatic (quite a lot of white showing through). at the other end, do what you think you should do, add as much detail as you think you need to. Add another layer of paint where you think its needed, and repeat,for a few layers. when you think you are done walk away .. .. .. go grab a coffee then come back and look at both and see which one has got the effect you want and what was worth your effort. My final layer I use a blade and do an odd hair here and there
what i'm trying to say is you dont need to produce every single hair on every single layer. You are trying to produce the illusion of a thick coat of fur, not each and every hair.

Always remember you have to put enough paint on to be able to take any off but enough so that it doesn't take it all off. I would do some experiments to see how much is needed. It's all part of the learning curve James.

Ooo @beginner-James you're having a lesson soon aren't you? Is it with a chap named Neill

Lee

The paint was applied the morning before and was only A light layer

I hope this helps and can be reversed
Beginner-james
Like JackEB said... there is nothing behind the layer, there is only one layer to take off. A soft eraser will slightly lighten it at best. Also having overnight to set well you won't be taking a little off... it will be all or nothing.

Just reapply the paint over the area erased. Nice thing about golden high flow and clayboard, you can erase the whole lot...

How do I soften the paint
Always remember you have to put enough paint on to be able to take any off but enough so that it doesn't take it all off. I would do some experiments to see how much is needed. It's all part of the learning curve James.

Ooo @beginner-James you're having a lesson soon aren't you? Is it with a chap named Neill

Lee
Yes Lee Tomorrow with Neill I'm a bit nervous. as I've never had a lesson before

I was short on time so I did some painting and thought I could erase the next day. As mentioned a learning curve. I now know better lol
Beginner-James
it all depends on the paint that you use if you can erase it after a day or longer I never used golden high flow but I did use the old version golden and that paint could be erased after a day and the main reason I use Etac efx is the fact I can erase it when ever I want no matter how long it is on the substrate I started over 3 months ago on the portrait I am now working on and I can still erase my paint

Back