Cleaning Japanese Air-Brush question

S

Sim

For my H&S Infinity & Iwata HP-CS, i always do a complete strip and clean everything, especially the nozzle after every daily session (usually about 2-3 hours of spraying). Both have easily removable nozzles that are a breeze to clean. I use hobby paints like tamiya and Mr Hobby, both alcohol based and lacquer based.

Exactly the same routine for all my other Japanese & chinese brushes as well. However since all this brushes all have this tiny nozzle, it’s a chore to clean and seal; and not only it takes longer but it also requires a lot more care so as not to break or damage the nozzle. I have tried back flushing a full cup with strong solvents like lacquer thinners about 4-5 times but it is still not spotless clean. Because I once examined the nozzle and found a very small amount of paint left inside the nozzle after the back flush described above.

So the question for the tiny nozzle type airbrushes is,
1) complete disassembly and deep clean every day or
2) back flush every day and a complete disassembly and deep clean every week?

What’s the routine for all of you guys here?

Sim

Man you clean it way too much LOL I might strip mine down about once a month unless I have an issue.

Lol yeah, I am really anal! If my Wife ever told me that she saw a speck of paint in the cup at 3 am in the morning, that’s gonna wake me up real good,

For my H&S Infinity & Iwata HP-CS, i always do a complete strip and clean everything, especially the nozzle after every daily session (usually about 2-3 hours of spraying). Both have easily removable nozzles that are a breeze to clean. I use hobby paints like tamiya and Mr Hobby, both alcohol based and lacquer based.

Exactly the same routine for all my other Japanese & chinese brushes as well. However since all this brushes all have this tiny nozzle, it’s a chore to clean and seal; and not only it takes longer but it also requires a lot more care so as not to break or damage the nozzle. I have tried back flushing a full cup with strong solvents like lacquer thinners about 4-5 times but it is still not spotless clean. Because I once examined the nozzle and found a very small amount of paint left inside the nozzle after the back flush described above.

So the question for the tiny nozzle type airbrushes is,
1) complete disassembly and deep clean every day or
2) back flush every day and a complete disassembly and deep clean every week?

What’s the routine for all of you guys here?

Sim
Certainly consider that they might not need a full break down quite as often. When I started I would do the same, but some experience has shown me I don’t need to do this every time. The easiest and safest way to clean a nozzle I was taught on this very forum. Buy a long hairs finger nail Striping brush. The long hairs can go into the nozzle quite safely and can work out any paint left inside. I think a pack of three brushes cost me about £3.50 on Amazon. This is all I’ve needed for ages now, I only remove the nozzle to change it for another one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol yeah, I am really anal! If my Wife ever told me that she saw a speck of paint in the cup at 3 am in the morning, that’s gonna wake me up real good,

Just out of curiosity, what are you using for thinner/cleaner? I made the transition back in the nineties to acetone as Tamiya/Gunze acrylics and all enamel and lacquer paints just disintegrate on contact. Having a sonic cleaner on the workbenches is a good investment as well as they can be had on eBay for $25.
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

Nail art liner brushes - ebay / amazon... cheap as
upload_2019-4-10_12-41-37.png

or Artists liner brushes
upload_2019-4-10_12-43-44.png

Obviously the thicker ones wont fit entirely within some of the small nozzles but all you need is something long enough to not damage the delicate nozzles with the steel Ferrule.

Either of these will be a useful addition to your airbrush tool box.

I suffer with airbrush cleaning OCD and therefore clean my airbrushes after every session. However, I do not remove the nozzle from the head rather remove the head itself. I use extremely sharpened toothpicks as shown in the attached image. Another reason of using toothpick is that I can make micro Q-tips by wrapping few threads off a cotton ball and use them to clean the head assembly as well as the nozzle. The sharpened toothpick have about the same diameter and shape of a needle. I have never tried the nail art liner brushes but that seems to be a good alternative too. BTW I use Acetone:Isopropyl alcohol mixture in 30:70 ratio. It seems to remove both lacquer and acrylic paints I use in my airbrushes.
98BFB7BD-5B5F-4D2D-A512-D45417F0D256.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back