Clear coat for artwork on synthetic paper

Rebecca

Mac-Valve Maestro!
I’ve seen numerous posts about clear coats but not specifically on the synthetic paper. Have any of you applied clear to your art on paper? I tried some spray Krylon fine art matte finish and it left a dusty layer that I was able to wipe off with a cloth. I’m using Blair synthetic paper, so should I brush the clear or spray it? Dru recommended Golden polymer matte varnish but I’m not sure about the method to apply it.

I am using different acrylic artist varnishes out of cans. Didn't have any issues yet.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

I am using different acrylic artist varnishes out of cans. Didn't have any issues yet.

Do you use gloss or matte? Maybe I had too many layers of the matte is the reason for the dusty layer I got? I’ll try gloss next. Nothing but practice pieces so no big loss if I screw it up.

I use both Liquitex satin varnish, and more recently Createx Satin clear coat. I generally just spray it using either .35 or larger brush set up. Most of the time, I use a .5 fan cap on a Creos GSI PS290 trigger brush - works a charm on most of my work, which is generally smaller than 20x30" - most 14X16 or so... I have used an Eclipse many, many times to do the same. Add a little water to slow the drying down, and to thin the consistency, and they spray really well.

Do you use gloss or matte? Maybe I had too many layers of the matte is the reason for the dusty layer I got? I’ll try gloss next. Nothing but practice pieces so no big loss if I screw it up.
I use gloss most of the time. Works on paper normally don't need that strong protection in my opinion anyway.
I think in opposite to clear coats etc. most varnishes and including the ones I have are not really supposed to be used in many layers. Maybe that's why you get a problem. I am not an expert though.

I use gloss most of the time. Works on paper normally don't need that strong protection in my opinion anyway.
I think in opposite to clear coats etc. most varnishes and including the ones I have are not really supposed to be used in many layers. Maybe that's why you get a problem. I am not an expert though.

Thanks for your answers. I don’t think it needs much, just enough to minimize scratches. The paint does scratch easily on the Blair paper.

I use both Liquitex satin varnish, and more recently Createx Satin clear coat. I generally just spray it using either .35 or larger brush set up. Most of the time, I use a .5 fan cap on a Creos GSI PS290 trigger brush - works a charm on most of my work, which is generally smaller than 20x30" - most 14X16 or so... I have used an Eclipse many, many times to do the same. Add a little water to slow the drying down, and to thin the consistency, and they spray really well.
Thanks so much!

Thanks for your answers. I don’t think it needs much, just enough to minimize scratches. The paint does scratch easily on the Blair paper.
Give the paint some time to cure - when I 1st started working on synthetic papers I thought the Illustration colors were ridiculously delicate. I picked up a scrap I had test sprayed on that had some age to it, and the surface was actually quite tough. I had to work to scratch it...

I use a top coat more to tie the work together. Some colors, especially when you start really layering, can have a different finish to them - more gloss, or more flat, etc... also, erasing, burnishing, or scratching can leave different looking surfaces. A top coat brings everything together. I choose not to use gloss because I try to avoid the glare associated...

Give the paint some time to cure - when I 1st started working on synthetic papers I thought the Illustration colors were ridiculously delicate. I picked up a scrap I had test sprayed on that had some age to it, and the surface was actually quite tough. I had to work to scratch it...

I use a top coat more to tie the work together. Some colors, especially when you start really layering, can have a different finish to them - more gloss, or more flat, etc... also, erasing, burnishing, or scratching can leave different looking surfaces. A top coat brings everything together. I choose not to use gloss because I try to avoid the glare associated...
Great info Dave, thanks. I noticed while working on the painting it scratched easily with a magnet but hadn’t thought about it being fresh paint. But yes, the main reason I wanted to clear over was because of uneven finish. After several cots of the Krylon matte that I used I could still see a bit of shine where I had erased. I’ll try another type and see what happens.
I had trouble using Krylon acrylic clear over heavily reduced Createx. Basically erased all my light details. I’ve used an intercoat before final clear now because of that.

Ok, I’m a real Newbie. Is an intercoat the same as an isolation coat? Do you brush it on or spray it? What product do you use? I saw some good YouTube videos where they brushed Golden gel medium mixed with water on first as an isolation coat, then put the varnish on. This was done on canvas so wasn’t sure about doing this on the paper.

Ok, I’m a real Newbie. Is an intercoat the same as an isolation coat? Do you brush it on or spray it? What product do you use? I saw some good YouTube videos where they brushed Golden gel medium mixed with water on first as an isolation coat, then put the varnish on. This was done on canvas so wasn’t sure about doing this on the paper.

Createx has a few products that work well as an intercoat. 4030 was their intercoat but is advertised more as a flow enhancer. There’s 4040 bleed checker now that would probably work well. And Createx has a whole line of top coats. All can be sprayed. Hope this doesn’t make it more complicated. Maybe others can chime in.

Dru recommends Golden polymer Matte varnish, I found the rustoleum works ok but I’m shocking at clearing so I generally leave it!! Always get excited and see the nice wet look and bam too much!

Dru recommends Golden polymer Matte varnish, I found the rustoleum works ok but I’m shocking at clearing so I generally leave it!! Always get excited and see the nice wet look and bam too much!
Yes, Dru mentioned the Golden Matte varnish, but I’ve not seen any that you can spray. I’ve got some Krylon clear matte UV protection I’m trying out now, but I’ve done two light coats and I can still see shiney marks where I did some erasing. I’m wondering if I should be using gloss or keep adding thin sprays of the matte? I read somewhere that you shouldn’t use more than 2 coats of matte. I don’t know why, but may find out if I keep spraying.

Yes, Dru mentioned the Golden Matte varnish, but I’ve not seen any that you can spray. I’ve got some Krylon clear matte UV protection I’m trying out now, but I’ve done two light coats and I can still see shiney marks where I did some erasing. I’m wondering if I should be using gloss or keep adding thin sprays of the matte? I read somewhere that you shouldn’t use more than 2 coats of matte. I don’t know why, but may find out if I keep spraying.
You just add water to the varnish to spray it, it flattens the colours almost makes it uniform, but I don’t use any as stated above, one day I will get on to it again!

https://www.goldenpaints.com/products/varnish-top-coat
I only can find this in spray cans at a local mom and pop art shop which carries all the lines of Golden .
I have yet to find it at places like hobby lobby and michael's.

I only can find this in spray cans at a local mom and pop art shop which carries all the lines of Golden .

The Golden polymer matte varnish is what Dru Blair said to use, I guess since it’s for water-based paint. We only have a Hobby Lobby where we live so no Golden products. So can this be diluted and sprayed with the AB? What ratio?

Back