For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Clear Coat on Crankbaits

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Billybamdam, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Billybamdam

Billybamdam Double Actioner

Hey guys, painted my first crankbait this weekend and it came out sweet. I clear coated it but there are a couple spots where bubbles popped and didn’t get a finish to it. Is there a fix for this? I use Devcon two ton 30 min. I’ll post a picture on finished works!
    jord001 likes this.
  2. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

With epoxy if its small bubbles that go all the way through you can generally just dab some in with a toothpick and then sand and buff the spot.
    jord001 likes this.
  3. Billybamdam

Billybamdam Double Actioner

I was thinking the same, dab a drop on and throw it back on the turner. I think that’s what I’ll do. It’s a give away to my brother anyways so I’ll experiment a little. I’ll take some before and after pics to show the results!
    jord001 and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  4. Basstrack238

Basstrack238 Mac-Valve Maestro!

The devcon will settle nicely if you hit it with a heat gun or even breathe on it, the bubbles will pop before it gets too hard. Hope this helps you out.
    jord001 and basepaint like this.
  5. badhatharry

badhatharry Young Tutorling

Hello Billybamdam! Im a new guy here and I've been painting my own crankbaits and glidebaits for about six months now. I've been using a product called Alumi-UV as a final sealer coat. It brushes on and lays down really nice and with the aid of a UV lamp, will cure hard to the touch in about 10 minutes. Glad to see there are other lure makers on this forum.
    HellBird, jord001 and basepaint like this.
  6. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

If your going to use Devon 30 min epoxy add a few drops of acetone to the epoxy after you mix it up,It thin"s it enough so the bubbles will pop as your brushing it,but to be safe yes hit it lightly with a blow dryer or heat gun as the heat will help level it out too! (Remember just a few drops is all you need)
    HellBird and jord001 like this.