Clear Coat question

brushit

Gravity Guru
Hi , can anyone tell me if it is ok to apply 2pac clear coat over something that has been clear coated with single pac clear. Also is single pac clear resistant to petrol spills , such as a motor cycle tank, so long as it is wiped off straight away. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Unfortunately not many of us have the luxury of a spray booth to spray 2pac, and have to be satisfied with the single pac method which produces a quite hard surface and a brilliant shine when compounded and polished correctly.

If it's lacquer clear, forget it. It won't resist fuel and you won't have much success with 2k over it.

Certain enamel clears resist fuel fairly well. Sometimes just needing a good buff if fuel does effect them.
Others are even worse than lacquers.

With the enamel clears yes it is possible to 2k over top...but it's tricky and cab be dependent on how old they are and whether they are baked. As well as a million brand specifics.

Using a full coat of 4004 or trans autoborne sealer first, then 2k provides a barrier and actually makes it pretty easy to put most 2k over most enamel.

Probably would work for lacquer too but I'm not real confident in it's long term durability because lacquer will actually outgas for many years.

Last edited:
Btw yes the shine of buffed lacquer is actually un paralleled in any other paint type.
And it's hard too , too hard, can crack from drastic temp changes and chips easily.
It is the ultimate in shine though.

Rust oleum 2x clear (an enamel)
Has impressed me recently as being pretty close to cheap 2k in shine and even kinda fuel resistant.

Most fuel resistant spray can clear however , are marketed as engine enamels and will remain pretty soft without baking and many brands are prone to yellowing.

Back