Clearcoat custom paint.

m3ntalo

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hey there. More of a newbie question. I lately used the sparmax 2k clearcoat on bike parts etc. Works great with a very nice finish. My question is if you clearcoat parts with holes (for bolts, screws), how do you do that to not get a too thick coating on them for the bolts etc ? Just clear over and scuff later? Or mask? But then when do you remove the mask? Right after the clearcoat gets a little dry? Or later and then cut out the mask? Might be a stupid question, but I would appreciate any help. In particular I am talking about a harley Derby cover. But the same question to get a good "end"line of a clearcoat for example at at bike tank around the petrol cap.

Thank you, René.
bcfa9dedca996e34ba2328d15ff2435b.jpg
afee012bda3158edef03aab4e080e82c.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

For threaded holes I make a small tube/role of masking tejp and thread it in the holes. Its no problem to let it sit until the clear coat is hardend. For a tank, mask the hole so no paint or clear coat gets to the bare metal, you need that to get a good seal with the cap, after clear coat is hardend, remove the maskin and use a 2k chemical metal that you mix and cover the clear coat with a brush to seal the line. Now no petrol can mess up your paint job.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I just use a piece of rubber tubing for vacuum line which size can range from 1/32 to 3 inches on outside diameter . When the clear coat is dry pull it out away from the clear side . It was a old school trick I learn when I was about 16 from a paint and body guy that was a friend of the family .

A small paper cup and some masking tape works in the tank hole. Masking tape rolled up for the screw holes

million ways , as you can see. I like the silicone plugs they make for this purpose specifically. Another option is to hit lowes and look at end caps and screw protectors and rubber hole plugs. I used the wording they use so you can google it up pretty easy if you want.

Thank you guys! So I will plug them on one way or the other, and pull them out from the other side of the clearcoat. Thank you for the Infos. As for 2k chemical metal, I'll get some to test it on the next gas tank.

Back