Color shifting paint recommendations?

Nessus

Needle-chuck Ninja
By which I mean the type of interference paints/powders that actually change color depending on the direction of incoming light. Not glazes used to bias or blend other colors, or regular interference colors.

I have a project where I want to use a blue-to-red color shifting effect as an overlay. I used to have a sample kit of automotive color shifting paint that came in 3 cans: a black undercoat, a color shifting clear, and a gloss clear overcoat. I just need the color shifting clear layer in blue-to-red.

The particle size also needs to be as fine as feasible, not int terms of needle/nozzle compatibility, but because the subject is a small figure model. The effect will look better the more it appears to be a contiguous film instead of particulate "glitter".

I've done some searching, but my results were heavily polluted by single-color interference and pearl paints falsely branded as "color shifting". Also I have no real experience with this sort of paint, so I have no idea what brands or lines are better than others.

Etac used to have a red and a blue shade interference paint and I used it trough a 0.5 nozzle without any problems
you first lay down your base color lets say blue and you put the red shade interference over it like a "clear coat" you cant see it till the sun hits it and the blue will turn into a red
but I am not sure if they still sell it

check out Createx Chameleon paint...very airbrush friendly . I have the lilac and the results are pretty good....and you can clear over it...

Thanks.

What Ronald is describing is single color interference, which as I said is not what I'm looking for.

Createx Chameleon is hard to pin down. It's maddeningly difficult to find good product info for it. There appears to be two lines: Auto-Air Chameleon Gem, and Auto-Air Chameleon Flair. No idea what the difference is between the two, but neither appears to have a red-blue shifting paint. It's not even clear if they're still in production, from what little I could find. These paints are not on the Createx site website as far as I could find; the only info I could find was pieced together from various vendors who only carry a couple colors of one or the other.

I found some powders and fingernail polishes (of all things) on Amazon that appear to match what I need (a bit too glittery, but the colors are close enough), but I don't know if they're any good for my use-case. Anybody familiar with "Dispade" brand pigments?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UVYQTN...olid=3BMUGKVEJYUCN&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UVZGC7...olid=3BMUGKVEJYUCN&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

That HoK one looks good from the pics I could find. At those prices I'd need to see close up pics of the results before taking the plunge though. I like the smoothness it appears to have in the pics google turned up, but everything's entire cars photographed from meters away (which makes sense of course, but doesn't give me the info I need).

They sell a color chip set, but great King Ghidorah, it costs more than the paint! Hmm, they have a distributor in Escondido. That's a bit of a drive, but I could justify it if I chained it with another errand maybe.

Has anyone used the HoK stuff that can show/tell me how particulate it looks up close?

Call David Monnig at Coast Airbrush I am sure he would be happy to answer all your question on the matter. He and Jon are very close friends so David knows almost as much about he HOK line as Jon .

You could try to get a colour shift pearl powder additive, however you would still need to check to see if its the right sort for you.

Lee

Call David Monnig at Coast Airbrush I am sure he would be happy to answer all your question on the matter. He and Jon are very close friends so David knows almost as much about he HOK line as Jon .

Because you are so specific in what you want, this ^ would be a sensible thing to do. Call / email as many companies as you can until you find the product you are after.

Last edited:
So HOK did have color shifting flakes (Kameleon dry flake) you could add to an intercoat that worked amazing, but I found out that the US treasury Dept bought it all up about 5 years ago to use in Currency and it is now extremely hard (impossible) to find. I have some blue-green shift that is spectacular but I have had it about 10 years. I did not realize how rare it was and used a small bit on an example project.

They do still have a few Kameleon Opals available but nothing red to blue unfortunately.

Alsa colorforce3 is great and the go to shifting paint for me but it's blue red orange.

Alsa spectrafx I've not seen in real life but looks like very large flake.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll give Coast a call, and maybe see if I can make it out to that HoK dealer in Escondido at some point to look at color chips (call first to see if they even have 'em though). Fortunately this is a personal project, so I'm not pressed for time or anything.

Seems like all this stuff is expensive, no matter who makes it. Guess it must be hard to manufacture. Unfortunately that means I can't afford to buy-and-try multiple brands.

I'm okay with blue-yellow-red, or some other 3 color progression, as a consequence of finer flake size. As long as the ends are blue and red instead of having blue or red as the mid color.

Back