Color the coloring books

D

drobbins12

I saw on another website to buy a coloring book to practice airbrushing. I had my wife pick me one up today, and she got me a toy story coloring book. So we will see how it goes, but I think it will be good for me because I haven't airbrushed with much color yet. Still black and white.

Have any of you done this with the coloring book.

I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3ylnqb
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like a good idea ! That's now on my shopping list

Using a coloring book is great. Add a few stencils and shields and you can go crazy.

Just remember to colour within the lines. Nothing will ruin a Snoopy picture faster than having black bleeding into the white areas.:nightmare:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336084260.586672.jpg

This is the first one I took from the coloring book. My wife got it at target. There was 20 in there, they are all loose so you don't have to rip them out. They are all large pictures so your not trying to airbrush tiny pictures.

I would recommend that all beginners get one, I can tell its going to really help me with my control and trying to stay between the lines is really good practice.

Also, it will help you to mix colors. I have just the basic transparent createx blue, red, yellow and green, and I did a pretty good job with the green on buzz light year. I mixed white, green, and a touch of yellow.

I'm starting with the base color, and sill do that for the whole picture, then I will darken the colors to give it some good shading and texture.( I will attempt that anyway.)

I will post the painting as I go, would love some good critiquing. It helps me out alot.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lz2fhm

i have and find it a great way of learning brush control and painting in the lines ,i think ed hubbs had a vid on youtube with it in ,or some one did

Looks good Drobbins. Also if you do not want to paint int he book, just trace the image. This way you don't have the black lines. You can also create your own light source and shadows with these.

All joking aside, I'm am definitely going to use colouring books as practice materials.

Looks good Drobbins. Also if you do not want to paint int he book, just trace the image. This way you don't have the black lines. You can also create your own light source and shadows with these.

Yeah, that's what I plan on doing. When doing that, I pick a direction from which I want the light to come from. Should I have three different shades of the a color like the skin tones tutorial?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4jvfwm

If you're going for realistic blending, you'll want to do each colour the same as the skin tutorial. This will give you a highlight, middle, and shadow tone.

I guess if you wanted too take it a step further get those paint by the number sets. Use the paints in he kit as a color reference for mixing your airbrush paint.
It would be more difficult require more control but could be rewarding.

Thanks for sharing this idea..May i suggest that we start something together and we find a comic to paint. We will share this up here and we post the result so as everyone can learn form others. The more talented one might use more color blends and explain how they do it. What you guys think about this?
Being a tattoo artist (before as i quit) i have bunch of flash with both the outlines and colors that i can share to start.
Let me know what style you want and i'll look into my thousands flash designs.
B

this is a great idea - still trying to learn control and want to try colours - great way to get started with out having to think about what you want to paint or what colours - all marked out for you and good way to learn to mix basic colours - look out kids dads after those colouring in books you so badly wanted but havent even touched.

Thanks for sharing this idea..May i suggest that we start something together and we find a comic to paint. We will share this up here and we post the result so as everyone can learn form others. The more talented one might use more color blends and explain how they do it. What you guys think about this?
Being a tattoo artist (before as i quit) i have bunch of flash with both the outlines and colors that i can share to start.
Let me know what style you want and i'll look into my thousands flash designs.
B

Brilliant idea and offer. What are the basic pictures that must of us newbies wanting to do?
Skulls
Roses
Dragons
Any chance you can throw a few of each up ?

View attachment 1367

This is the first one I took from the coloring book. My wife got it at target. There was 20 in there, they are all loose so you don't have to rip them out. They are all large pictures so your not trying to airbrush tiny pictures.

I would recommend that all beginners get one, I can tell its going to really help me with my control and trying to stay between the lines is really good practice.

Also, it will help you to mix colors. I have just the basic transparent createx blue, red, yellow and green, and I did a pretty good job with the green on buzz light year. I mixed white, green, and a touch of yellow.

I'm starting with the base color, and sill do that for the whole picture, then I will darken the colors to give it some good shading and texture.( I will attempt that anyway.)

I will post the painting as I go, would love some good critiquing. It helps me out alot.

Good idea brother:) hey when you get sick of it - start blending the colors around the image to create a 3D rendition - once you've added your straight colors add a shadow tone, then thin out some white and go to town:)

Yes i can crop some of these and post it here. I have the outline and color versions of the images. Perhaps those more experienced may try different colors but i will post both versions for the ones who want to practice the images as is.
Give me till tonight (am +4.00GMT) when i get back home and i post one to see if this is what you are looking for.
B

Great idea.!
I'm still just learning in black & white. But I'm curious, how difficult is the transiion to colour??

Back