Compressor for a new job.

K

Kingpin79

Hi guys,

I need your help with choosing a compressor for my needs. I've actually already used compressor for painting my scale models, and generally know all the advantages and disadvantages of the individual compressors. Now I need him for something completely different, and i'm not sure what to choose.

I want to paint portraits on the various materials (i have experience with soft pastel). I will use Createx Wicked colors and NEO for Iwata N2000 bottle feed airbrush. This technique does not require any large amount of colors, but the compressor should be in operation for approximately 5-6 hours a day non-stop (maybe here and there take a break of 5 minutes). So it should not happen that the compressor automatically shuts down due to overheating. Already own AS-18 which I crossed, because they do not meet the minimum requirements. It can not achieve sufficient pressure to quality works with bottle feed airbush and its overheated. I watched and AS196 with double cylinder but I think it is not much bigger difference than A-18 and that would also be overheated after 30-40 minutes.

The only conditions they must met are:

- must be mobile and relatively easy to carry because I would be work on the promenade. I do not need anything on wheels.
- must not overheat. Should work about 5-6 hours straight
- must have a minimum of "constant" pressure 60psi because i own two bottle feed NEO for Iwata BCN N2000
- if possible, that price is not too high (does not have to be IWATA)

I looked on eBay AIRCOM Flat 20A, maybe it would be ok for me but I'd love to hear your opinions.

tnx

I think you need to look at compressors with decent sized tanks to help take the load off the compressor itself. this will reduce the amount of time the compressor has to physically run for. At 60psi i would think most small compressors (even with tanks) are not going to be very suitable. I use a 24L tank and my compressor kicks in 2-3 times a night ( over 2-3 hours) but i use low pressure most of the time - nothing near 60psi. If you are not doing T's constantly i would have thought that pressure will need to come down a hell of a lot for other harder/less absorbent surfaces ?

If noise is not an issue... that is easy enough to fill. I do however think 60 psi is a lot myself. Depends on how portable you need it to be... my definition of portable may not be the same as yours.

Well, so portable to fit in the trunk of the car (mazda 3), because every day I would go back to the same promenade place. Must be "quiet" because otherwise all my customers would run away.

What do you think this guy used to work considering that he use bottle feed ab? Some small portable compressor or some big oil? Considering where he works, should not be too noisy.
And what do you think, what is the pressure he use?

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to paint at a lower psi even with bottle fed brush. T-shirt painters use high psi because of the surface not the brush they use. Cloth type surfaces are the only ones I think you would need high psi with, any other one you shouldn't need more than 20 to 30.

Likely he is running 40-50 psi. Even t shirts can be blasted into at that pressure. Kasey is correct if your not painting on cloth that is too high of an airpressure. I cannot really comment on quiet compressors due to not owning one.

Actually tshirt is exactly the material that I intend to use. Are you saying that the pressure should be high because the color must pass through the fabric (fabric better absorb paint with high pressure)?

2 reasons. One you wont thin your paints likely, and two you really gotta blast the paint on there, no risk of spidering like on a hard surface. The best psi to use is the lowest pressure that allows the results you want :). Psi questions are hard to answer....

Silent bought compressors are expensive.

Sounds like you need a silent compressor. Your asking a lot of a compressor, which raises the price. I've never run my Silentaire at the psi or time that you are asking. I have the TC-50 which is rated for heavy use. I've already used it at probably 25psi for 4-5 hours. It did get pretty warm, but never shut down.

I think @Mr.Micron uses his pretty heavily, he may be able to give a little more info from experience.

That compressor would be perfect, but where I live is unavailable. But it's not excluded purchase through ebay. Maybe it might help add some additional fan on top of the compressor. I think he would have lowered the temperature down 2-3 degrees.

EDIT:
After a little study, i concluded that the American Silentaire actually called "Werther International", and he is actually produced in Italy. Werther TC50 costs $450 which is not that expensive compared to Super Silent 50-TC ($1245 on Chicago airbrush supply). Now open the map and see where is Italy and where is Croatia. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
That compressor would be perfect, but where I live is unavailable. But it's not excluded purchase through ebay. Maybe it might help add some additional fan on top of the compressor. I think he would have lowered the temperature down 2-3 degrees.

EDIT:
After a little study, i concluded that the American Silentaire actually called "Werther International", and he is actually produced in Italy. Werther TC50 costs $450 which is not that expensive compared to Super Silent 50-TC ($1245 on Chicago airbrush supply). Now open the map and see where is Italy and where is Croatia. :p

They are an Italian company. I got mine from Coast Airbrush for $710, not that It really helps you any. You may be able to build one, there are a few threads on the forum related to it. I was going to build a silent compressor myself, but I am lazy, so I bought one.

They are an Italian company. I got mine from Coast Airbrush for $710, not that It really helps you any. You may be able to build one, there are a few threads on the forum related to it. I was going to build a silent compressor myself, but I am lazy, so I bought one.
Money bags. Can you tell he doesn't ha moe kids ? Lol!

Actually tshirt is exactly the material that I intend to use. Are you saying that the pressure should be high because the color must pass through the fabric (fabric better absorb paint with high pressure)?

Look on line a lot of video's on how to prep and paint t-shirts. The better you prep the easier it is to paint, trust me I made the mistake of painting a shirt without prepping it and it was a painintheass.

I just added up all the airbrushes in your signature and it would seem you don't have kids either. ;)
Holy Crap J I think you are right, @wmlepage I think I still have your adress around here and im more than willing to trade some art for an airbrush or 3.

I still hesitating between Sil-air 30D and Sil-air 50D. They are differ in the max pressure, tank size and airflow. I'm not sure how much airflow means to me because i will used a max of one airbrush at once.

Reading the forum I learned that oil compressors have trouble with throwing oil out. What it depends and how often is it? Is it depends if the compressor overheated or moves too much, because I had to carry it every day on the job.

I still hesitating between Sil-air 30D and Sil-air 50D. They are differ in the max pressure, tank size and airflow. I'm not sure how much airflow means to me because i will used a max of one airbrush at once.

Reading the forum I learned that oil compressors have trouble with throwing oil out. What it depends and how often is it? Is it depends if the compressor overheated or moves too much, because I had to carry it every day on the job.

The 50 is essentially the same compressor I have in a different housing. The 1/2 HP motor is going to be better if you can afford it.
I personally haven't had any problems with oil making it into the lines on my setup. The moisture trap should catch anything if it comes out of the tank. I have a second moisture trap right on my airbrush just in case, but I probably don't really need it with the Silentaire compressor.

I have a DIY silent compressor, I have some oil carryover, probably overfilled it since there's no sight glass. So I have an oil coalescing filter in line with my regulator, which is secondary to the filter/Reg at the compressor. Another option of worried is a Fisheye filter. These things are great. I set mine up with 1/4" quick disconnects so I can use it at my airbrush station or out in my garage with my spray guns. It's just another line of defense, especially if spraying clear coat.

Back