Conopois Airbrushes

DaveG

Airbush Analyst
I received these two specimens a couple of days ago - Conopois. One has a dated sheet from mid 1985. The other I suspect is a tad older, but have no way to date it accurately. I need to cut quick connects to fit the air valve threads, so it will be a little while yet before I have them ready to be "any time" usable brushes, but will get them there. I've tested both with a cheap vinyl hose held on with a hose clamp, and they both work as they should. That was a pretty typical hook-up for the brushes back in the day, but I am wanting something a bit classier/cleaner while adding them to my collection.

If not familiar with this sort of brush - it works by first initiating air when the lever is depressed, and then moving the needle back with additional downward pressure. They also feature a cam ring that limits needle travel, making them a bit easier to control. Hand hold is very similar to holding a pencil or pen... A I have a chance to use them more, I will update this post/thread with more info.

conopois twins1.jpg

They are lovely airbrushes, I had a go with one the same as those a few years back. Very nice and smooth. A bit weird to use at first but when you get used to them its becomes easier to just press the trigger and they also spray really nice.. There's one on eBay UK at the moment but its silly money.

Lee

Yes, between these, and the rOtring, it is amazing how fine the atomization is. Super smooth, and fine. Very, very stingy with paint.

The daughter of the man who made these brushes owns the company that I get my supplies from called The Airbrush Company. They have a little history on their website. Nowadays they’re the U.K. main importer of Iwata. Nice people too.

I received these two specimens a couple of days ago - Conopois. One has a dated sheet from mid 1985. The other I suspect is a tad older, but have no way to date it accurately. I need to cut quick connects to fit the air valve threads, so it will be a little while yet before I have them ready to be "any time" usable brushes, but will get them there. I've tested both with a cheap vinyl hose held on with a hose clamp, and they both work as they should. That was a pretty typical hook-up for the brushes back in the day, but I am wanting something a bit classier/cleaner while adding them to my collection.

If not familiar with this sort of brush - it works by first initiating air when the lever is depressed, and then moving the needle back with additional downward pressure. They also feature a cam ring that limits needle travel, making them a bit easier to control. Hand hold is very similar to holding a pencil or pen... A I have a chance to use them more, I will update this post/thread with more info.

View attachment 62163

I’ve heard OF them. I’d be interested to see how comfortable they are in terms of ergonomics. Very unique looking guns, but not quite as functional as other brands of airbrush, as it is a fixed double action, as opposed to an independent double action trigger operation.

I have a lot of fixed double action brushes - most notably the Efbe and Grafo brushes, and would never consider them to be handicapped when put up against a traditional double action brush - that is simply a misconception, in my opinion. I like the Conopois. They feel much like holding a pen or pencil. The largest adjustment has actually been the air hook-up and hose. I feel the hose much more on these brushes than I notice when using a more traditional set up. The Conopois feel like they want to roll side to side at times. I am using a very light grip, though... Oddly, it is not as noticeable on the rOtring version, I think because it is simply larger, and feels more stable in hand.

Last edited:
Back