Could do with some advice on larger needle options for clear-coating

Pigeon

Young Tutorling
SO... I don't really paint anything large enough to justify a full-fat spray gun, but currently only have a cheap Chinese airbrush and a Harder and Steenbeck Ultra with a 0.4, and would like to play about with things like candy. multilayer masking and the whole process of inter coats and finishing panels with 2K.

Would love something like an Iwata Hi-Line HP for that sweet fan action, but saving up for a better main brush, so wondering if there are some super budget options other than going rattle can for an entry-level clear coat chucker?

If your compressor can handle it.
Is a spray gun a good solution.
It doesn't have to be that expensive, the Air Gunsa AZ4 HTE-S Impact Junior goes here for 149 euros.
But if you want something smaller.
like the Iwata HP-TH2 Vault you have lost 379 euros.
The advantage is that you can use it with an airbrush compressor.

But good 2k paint is not cheap and then you also have the thinner, the time it takes to clean.

Don't underestimate the Spraymax aerosols, they have a good quality 2k paint.
And after sanding and polishing you have the same result.
On smaller surfaces.

I use a GSI Creos PS290 with a fan cap installed for some clear coating on smaller projects. It is literally an identical build to the Iwata TH minus the MAC valve. I added the handle from a NEO to mine - much most cost friendly than the Iwata TH, with the same sort of quality. Oh, I have a TH also...

ps290 w grip1.jpg

I know there are a few mini guns that people also use. Unfortunately, those are things I have no experience with...

Attachments

• be-2.jpg
    be-2.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 16
Your generic airbrush and H&S will play well with "things like candy. multilayer masking and the whole process of inter coats" with a .35 and above. Candy can be sprayed through a smaller needle (no pigment to clog the nozzle) and as for finishing panels with 2K you will need an extremely well ventilated area and appropriate mask. its nasty stuff to any oxygen breathing inhabitant near by (including pets)

If you aren't doing motorcycle tins/vehicle repair/crash helmets then as Erwin suggested above, don't overlook some of the rattle can clears.

I use a GSI Creos PS290 with a fan cap installed for some clear coating on smaller projects. It is literally an identical build to the Iwata TH minus the MAC valve. I added the handle from a NEO to mine - much most cost friendly than the Iwata TH, with the same sort of quality. Oh, I have a TH also...

View attachment 65962

I know there are a few mini guns that people also use. Unfortunately, those are things I have no experience with...
I’ll second the PS290. It has fantastic build quality and is great for a larger pattern that doesn’t warrant a mini gun. I use mine for everything from primer to clear coat and it’s never been anything other than great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back