Createx Illustration/Reducer Mix + Achieving Detail Question

*MRC*

Double Actioner
Greetings.

I've just returned home from a family Christmas vacation in sunny San Diego. I received a Createx Illustration set + Reducer as a gift.
I'm new to the product and combining with reducer. I understand mixing needs vary depending upon tools at hand and what you're trying to accomplish. I'm working with an 0.35 Eclipse and doing some detail practice. What does the forum recommend regarding mixing amounts?

Also, I've seen some YouTubers mix with water (not sure if that was with Illustration). Are there differences of purpose for using water vs. reducer with your brush?

If you happen to have a favourite method for practicing detail (i.e. writing your name), achieving tiny details with a .35 Eclipse, or mixing, I'd love to hear about it. I know there will be many takes which is great because I'm a happy l'il airbrush info sponge!

Thanks so much! :)

the reducer will break down your pigments a lot better then water does in my opinion. It was the white that made me crazy, now I premix most all of my water base paint in another bottle and let the reducer do its thing for 24 hours or so

I have a love/have relationship with Createx Illustration colors and reducers... My favorite used to be 4012. But, the stuff would go bad. Paint would work without issue one day, then look like curdled milk the next when adding 4012 from the same bottle I used the day before. So, then it was back to 4011, their "go-to" before they introduced 4012. Never had much luck with 4011. Now, it is 4013. I struggle with this stuff... So, my go to has been to mix about 10% - 15% ISO alcohol with plain ol' tap water. I use several other brands of paint, but always seem to come back to Illustration Colors for the results it will give me when I have the patience to work with it.

There is really no set ration or method of dealing with reducer(s). You just gotta kind of give it a go, and see what happens. Today it may be one drop per cup, tomorrow it may require ten to get the same results. I am certain ambient humidity also influences results, etc...

Vapor, is that Al Jourgensen in your profile pic? Love me some of that old school Ministry! Twitch is probably my favourite from them.

Vapor, is that Al Jourgensen in your profile pic? Love me some of that old school Ministry! Twitch is probably my favourite from them.
Yes it is, Ministry is one of my fav bands of all time. Your the 1st one to notice, and i use that profile pic a lot
that's Les Claypool with him

Back