For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

D.I.Y. Bedside table/cabinet really cheap :)

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Malky, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

Kilsyth, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, Planet Earth
    Since moving into my new house 18 months ago I've been struggling to get normal house hold items together, often having to choose to spend what little income I have between eating, hobbies or house hold furniture, I generally just try to balance all three although eating obviously comes first:)

Among items I didn't really deem absolutely necessary as far as furniture goes, one of these was a bedside table, for the last 18 months my bedside table was actually a cardboard box, several in fact including the box my new microwave turned up in and the box my airbrush compressor came in, while they worked fine they were ugly to look at, I wanted something I wouldn't be embarrassed to show visitors, I searched loads charity shops for one and there were plenty around, problem was most were either way beyond my budget of over a £10 and those that weren't were damaged or falling apart or both.

Last year I re-plastered and redecorated my living room and bedroom, while doing both I bought a load MDF which I had cut to make new skirting boards and facings for the door frames, I bought two full sheets but at different times and between them there was quite a lot left over, it was my plan to throw this away but after digging all the bits out I saw I had enough to build my own bedside table/cabinet and quickly devised a plan, my brief was simple, I needed a couple of shelves and thought a letterbox/pigeon hole would be handy for storing my tablet which I use to watch TV on my Sky Go app while in bed:)

So now that I know what I want, lets build :)

The tools; ... For the entire build the only tools I used were;

An 18" hand saw for wood
    A 10 mm wood chisel
    An Olfa snap off retractable hobby knife
    A 12" steel rule+ retractable measuring tape
    PVA would glue, and
    Some sandpaper

No power tools of any kind used:)

Preparing and building the carcass; the finished cabinet is 56 cm high, 35 cm wide and 22.5 cm deep, so I have cut all the parts I need to make the carcass, I've elected to cut rebates into the side panels 4 mm deep and therefore, allowed an extra 8 mm on the length of the shelves and top, the purpose of this is to dispense with the need for screws, nails or any other fixings and rely solely on the wood glue to hold it all together.

As you can see in this photo I've cut all the rebates in one panel ready to receive the shelves, to do this I used my hobby knife along the pencil lines and gouged out the unwanted MDF using my 10 mm chisel, board thickness is 12.5 mm, you can see a quarter inch cut out on the bottom of the picture too, this will happen on the bottom and third from top shelves too so that when it's all put together there will a piece of quarter inch hardboard/Masonite there to both close off the back and keep the carcass steady and wobble free.

BT 1.jpg

In this photo I'm trying out the shelves for fit before proceeding to the second side panel,as you can see they fit perfectly and are nice and tight, so tight in fact they happily stand up without support, at this stage I have done some refinements to the cutting to ensure that everything is true to square, you can also see the second panel waiting to be cut.

BT 2.jpg

This photo shows the carcass painted, after sanding and gluing all the pieces including the hardboard back panel I applied one coat of acrylic primer and two coats of Dulux water based satin finish paint and the carcass is done.

BT 3.jpg

And here it is in place with the £10 Argos lamp on:)

BT 4.jpg

To be honest it was my intention to leave it as it is but I decided I wouldn't be able to handle looking at it full of stuff exposed to view so I chose to make a door for it, I had intended just a simple door to hide the contents but then decided I 'll have some fun with it while I do it, so firstly to make the door I carefully cut a piece of quarter inch hardboard to the size needed, fortunately the shelf second from bottom is one inch less deep than the rest so it wouldn't interfere with the door, the door panel is made sturdier by gluing four pieces of 12.5 mm x 35 mm MDF all the way round on the back, I thought the door looked a little too bland as it was so to cure this I made the pattern you can see on the door, it took me a little while to work what do do here since I don't have router and even if I did I don't the bits go down to one millimetre so I had to improvise, to get the pattern I first applied thick pencil lines in the pattern I wanted, and then using my hobby knife and steel rule I carefully cut a line up each side of the pencil lines without touching the lines, by scoring each line another twice I get enough depth fro the pattern to work, now here is the cool bit:thumbsup: I don't have and never have seen a one millimetre chisel so I used edge and corner of my steel rule as a chisel and gouged out the pattern, I did try all of this on a piece of scrap first to be sure it would work:) I didn't make any photos of this process but I will if anyone should ask.

So here is the finished product:thumbsup:

BT 5.jpg

The cost of this project? well the paint was left over form the decorating too so I paid £4 for the glue of which I used less than a quarter of the bottle so say £1 and then £3 for the hinges and knob, I would have preferred a smaller knob though, shiit:eek: I just know @Squishy is going to make me regret saying that :confused::)
    MeeshellMP, SiRoxx, doc1 and 9 others like this.
  2. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

I mean, if you're gonna line them up for me. lollollollol

But everyone knows its not the size of the knob, but the angle of the dangle, that does the job right? lol. Anyway, you're in Scotland, it'll be getting cold soon, that'll grant your smaller knob wish for you.

You're a clever clogs, if it's not made out of Lego, I can't build it.
    SiRoxx, doc1, HellBird and 1 other person like this.
  3. twood

twood Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Great table. What a great mind that built it. Amazing for no power tools. I couldn't build that if you let me use the best of the best tools....
    NEVER ever throw anything out that can be used someday. I always find off cuts around. And that is when I realize that I could use that for this and/or that...but never anything like that table. I can build benches and stuff for my shed or barn....
    I was waiting for you to mention prepping it for some airbrushing...lollollol....maybe the lamp for a splash of color....
  4. Malky

I knew you wouldn't let me off, but at least you can make me smile even when I'm the victim :thumbsup::)
  5. Malky

I can't count the number of times I've looked at those leftovers and wondered what to do with them, several times I was tempted to cut it all up and get rid:confused:

I have OCD so I can't handle to much colour, I try to keep everything white, black or any grey inbeteen, either way it has to look clean and be easy to keep clean, I'm that much of a clean freak that when I'm not airbrushing there is usually no evidence around that I ever did, all that can be seen in my work area is my desk and chair.

However, I plan to make a couple of little stands to sit your/my little ornaments on and they will sit on each side of that lamp on the table, my quilt cover is also blue but I'm on the lookout for a grey one:)

I think the only thing I like to have in the house that's not black and white is my telly lollollol
    SiRoxx, HellBird, twood and 1 other person like this.
  6. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Excellent @Malky Outstanding job. I am handy with things like that but I doubt I could make a cabinet that good.

Lee
    Malky and HellBird like this.
  7. Malky

Thanks Lee, I'm pretty sure you could, with something like this it's a simple case of neat cuts and and enough sanding where needed, the paint job takes care of the rest.

Due to my health issues I'm constantly weak, I reckon I'm more proud of the fact that I had the strength to do it than the job itself, having said that I found this very relaxing and it's easy to get immersed, especially when it all goes well:)
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon!

What..?:eek:
    Not many can use power tools and machines that good the way you can use your hands. That's shown above is just top quality:thumbsup:
    Malky, jord001 and HellBird like this.
  9. Malky

Thanks Vlad, I think even if I actually had the power tools they might have been overkill for this, it's easy enough to get precision when your not in a hurry;)
    jord001, Vladimir and HellBird like this.
  10. HellBird

HellBird Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Wonderful work, @Malky! :thumbsup:But that white cabinet is like a blank slate, just begging for some artwork. Maybe a pasture with a flock of... you know ;)lollol
    Malky and jord001 like this.
  11. Squishy

The day I don't pick on you Malky, start to worry, lol. It means there's something seriously wrong with me.......hang on......it means there's something else seriously wrong with me. This picnic basket has been short a sandwich for quite some time now lol (and the remaining sardines are pretty stale and curly at the edges ) Just think of it as a sign of affection.
    HellBird and Malky like this.
  12. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Mod

Sweet... never buy IKEA again... :)
    Malky and HellBird like this.
  13. Malky

They would have to be black sheeplol

I just sent the photo of the finished piece to my brother who is a carpenter in a WhatsApp and he is gobsmacked, he can't believe how I got the pattern into the door, he's coming to measure up for materials for to build new wardrobes so I'll show him when he comes.

The knife was my main tool on this job but they do say us Glasgow folks are handy with a knife whuch makes me wonder why I struggle with daggerslollollol
    SiRoxx and HellBird like this.
  14. Squishy

Thought you were more of a shank kind of guy. Daggers are a bit posh lol.
    SiRoxx, Malky and HellBird like this.
  15. HellBird

Well, this is true. Unless them Merinos have been rolling in the dust. In which case they'll be more off-white or even taupe in color.lol Everyone seems to want to do things with power tools and putting something together that was fashioned using knife and chisel is just as impressive as hell.:thumbsup: No wonder your brother is gobsmacked :)
  16. Malky

No shanks are just for prison inmates who don't have access to anything else, I'm more of a Chucky knife type although a meat clever is also fun, I remember one of my old girl friends saying to me "my, thats a big chopper" lol
    Squishy and HellBird like this.
  17. Malky

It's actually amazing what doing with your own hands also does for your mind, very very soul satisfying, I enjoyed every minute, especially those little MacGyver moments:)
    HellBird likes this.
  18. HellBird

Agreed.
    Malky likes this.
  19. Squishy

Oh boy! So many responses!!!!!. Let's just discard the actual inappropriate ones ( hmmm that shortened the list.) the 'I might get arrested for saying that' one's,(ok, ok, still a few left) the 'Do you kiss your mother with that mouth' ones, (well that definitely narrowed it down), and the 'you really shouldn't say that in polite company ones' and.......nope; I have nothing to say.

I guess Malky wanting a smaller knob, and believing a woman's comment about his chopper size, tells the story of what handling a tool does to the mind :whistling:
    HellBird likes this.
  20. Malky

lollollolIt was all just hand tools, honest, am I just making it worse? Should I shut up now before irreparable damage is done, well I might be crap at everything else but I'm obviously pretty good ar digging my own grave:depressed:
    HellBird and Squishy like this.