Day one in the airbrush house

Ps yeah I DIDN'T know that, I'm literally the biggest idot/newbie on the entire forum
Then we can make a club. Cause I was the same, the only difference was I was crying on forum why my airbrush is not working :D

I would do what Twood suggested. Making notes. Before I posted that reduction for my plastic work I went to check my notes for that plastic work.

Good point, not a lot but there are some small bits yes

Should the paint go on "wet" or is that too much?
dunno, I don't spray models. I tried spraying some plastic. I always made first very thin layer so the rest of paint was able to grab on something.But I didn't prime that plastic. I scuff it. Then I experimenting with dry & wet spraying to see what will be the difference. I am assuming there is a difference in spraying models.

take a look at this video, this may help you with some of your confusions

here is a model. I am sure you can pick a tip or two. It's 40 minutes long video.

The below body is a bit of a junker

So I've had a practise

It seems 10-15psi seems to be the sweet sport for up close work, using the pre thinned paint from splash and zero.

Re the ferrari, I assume that even if I manage to get smooth layers over the top, it's ruined now and needs to be stripped and primiered again?

Thanks again

Ps yeah I DIDN'T know that, I'm literally the biggest idot/newbie on the entire forum

dodge viper srt10 0 60
You could sand the Farrari and paint the Red again. That’s the beauty of making mistakes, you can try different methods to find the best fix in case it happens again. There’s nothing lost this way. Twood and Husky have given you great advice. Unfortunately there is not a 1 size fits all when it comes to reduction and air pressure. It is probably one of the most frustrating elements of learning, but we’ve all been there. The main thing is to keep at it and out into place what you’ve learned.

Thanks for all the advice so far and I'll take it all on board as per normal but...

I've done a bit of research and a couple of people say zero paints dry rough and the the clear coat almost melts them smooth?

Does that make any sense to anyone at all?

Cheers all as always

Thanks for all the advice so far and I'll take it all on board as per normal but...

I've done a bit of research and a couple of people say zero paints dry rough and the the clear coat almost melts them smooth?

Does that make any sense to anyone at all?

Cheers all as always
I am waiting for reply on your question to learn something new. :)
I would noobishly assume that clear coat goes in to those dents/gaps but sounds weird to me that clear coat would melt paint if paint is dry :sus:

This is one of the quotes a user of this paint posted on another forum

"To start with you'll see the roughness of the base coat still, but as you carry on (this can take a few minutes) you'll start to see the new spray hit the surface like raindrops on a lake, and just melt into it, getting smoother all the time. Any "orange peel" will slowly subside."

"Don't touch it after you've sprayed the base coat! The base coat is SUPPOSED to dry slightly rough and matt, to key the clear coat."

This is one of the quotes a user of this paint posted on another forum

"To start with you'll see the roughness of the base coat still, but as you carry on (this can take a few minutes) you'll start to see the new spray hit the surface like raindrops on a lake, and just melt into it, getting smoother all the time. Any "orange peel" will slowly subside."
I don't have a clue, I am here to make you company until others come :laugh:

I do watch from time to time a guy which sprays real cars. And he puts bunch of coats. You can check it out for your self.

I don't know why, but you look suspicious to me. :laugh: I think you just slap one big paint coat on it :D And then I watch the video I gave you in this post and I see that guy makes bunch of coats lol

Last edited:
"Don't touch it after you've sprayed the base coat! The base coat is SUPPOSED to dry slightly rough and matt, to key the clear coat."
It’s possible, I think the key word here is “slightly”. That’s a difficult word to put some kind of measure to, so my advice is still to try it and see. It can always be stripped if it doesn’t work out. It’ll always be better to try for as smooth a surface as possible. While some clear coat might even out the final surface to the feel, larger bumps or lumps will be visible.

While this body has MANY imperfections, the pains all dried smooth, this makes me feel good

The ferrari is now taking a bath to stip it all off

Thanks everyone

Can you share with us what you changed? It can help other people if they find them self in similar situation. I also suspect I am in middle age crisis and you never know when I will start buying sport cars :D

I went from 30 psi to about 12-15psi and went much closer thats it :)

Hahaha me too, if I had the money that is

AND here is one successful project and one failure

Nice to see how determent you are. This is what will help you with your airbrushing.

Just wondering. What the hell you glued to that truck? :D

Yeah I'm like a dog with a bone

VALLEJO weathering paint that , I MIGHT have gone a little over the top, that said, I like my trucks like my women, DIRTY
I also like when my girlfriend if I have one makes some chores around the house and likes gardening. I love to eat fresh homegrown vegetables and when you work around garden it's normal to get dirty. :laugh:

Back