Day one in the airbrush house

I'm HAVING HELL with stencil bleed, I've tried magnets, tape, holding it, any experts got any tips please :)
I use screen printing glue. Works wonders. Also hit the stencil from the outside to inside, so you don't push air under the stencil, but across the edge of the part you wanna airbrush. How do I explain this hm....

Let's say this is stencil:
41WXnZkV1XL._AC_.jpg

You airbrush needs to hit the black art first(Black is the stencil, white is empty space), but try hitting it not straight on, but under the degree. Try hitting it with 40 or 140 degree angle
100980659-protractor-360-degrees-measuring-circle-scale-measuring-round-scale-level-indicator-measurement-acce.jpg

I use vinyl with a glue and I don't have problems like that, but maybe this few tips will help you. You never know. I am sure guys here will have a trick or two, so you will be good in no time.

Not sure if these will help but yeah.... Frustrating
d71bfac23e7b3b89c24a8a16cbfba071.jpg
b524b51cea7ab3a22112af5291406368.jpg
try shooting from outside to inside and don't go to close. Also don't lay a lot of paint in one go. You need to go slowly next to the stencil part, so you don't put to much paint which goes under the stencil. That's why I told you try shooting at the angle. If you would shoot that from far away, I am betting you wouldn't get paint under the stencil.

So like a 45 degree angle at the 40/140 you suggested?
I don't know exact angle, but I know I don't shoot straight cause I get better results if I go with angle from stencil to the space which I wanna color and I don't lift stencil that way. Try some angle, let your feeling be the judge. I also don't go very close so I don't lift stencil with air, but it's harder to lift stencil with air if I go with angle shooting from outside to inside=from stencil to space which I wanna paint. Much better then if you go from space which you wanna paint to stencil part. I hope this makes any sense. Hard to explain in my broken english...

hit the stencil from sides like you see here, but use some angle so air is pushing stencil down and you don't put to much air to lift something up. Try few angles like example: 40,50,60. Look what works for you.
The point here is to color it gently over the edge of stencil and not overflood it. If you go in direction you can see here I think you can get good results.
angle.jpg

What Husky said....and
Light passes. Do not flood it, you will get paint creeping under the stencil. Another thing you can try is to first paint inside the stencil with the same base color. This will seal the edges and if you do get creep, it will not show as it is the same color...
Cheers

Just about to say don't hose it on, it will cover with a few light passes. Tony beat me too it.

Airbrushing is a constant learning curve even when you think you know something another thing will pop up that you never knew.

Lee

A good days practice today, the case is for the Mrs and the xbox pa's is buggered so good practice in smoothing imperfections that couldn't be removed pre painting

But has anyone used ak or vallejo crackle medium?

The Mrs wants glass bottle painting gold and weathering, I painted it primer black, then applied crackle, let it drife and sprayed the gold but it doesn't crack, what am I doing wrong please
74aebab1aadbc616483823c5acb27067.jpg
1497063d713c22a5741e6e5db4f02e37.jpg
f7dfb84379c8b1512be5b07373829230.jpg

Just about to say don't hose it on, it will cover with a few light passes. Tony beat me too it.

Airbrushing is a constant learning curve even when you think you know something another thing will pop up that you never knew.

Lee
What Husky said....and
Light passes. Do not flood it, you will get paint creeping under the stencil. Another thing you can try is to first paint inside the stencil with the same base color. This will seal the edges and if you do get creep, it will not show as it is the same color...
Cheers
Thanks guys did some practice on paper today and shooting outside in and using much lighter coats worked so well thank you again

Does using the paint cup lid help with airflow? Paint flow etc?

Tonight, I sprayed this black button array in a stainless steel paint, as well as using my normal primer and everything seemed to work a million times better now I'm using the cup lid, it might be nothing but I had to ask, so were the improvements I had.

I was so happy, I even cleaned my airbrush haha
699f60d3cb9cf378fc37ce8f3a99f2f7.jpg

Back