Day one in the airbrush house

Not going to be a huge shock to most people here but for any newbies who are struggling I wanted tk share a story I've had in the past 24 hours.

I was recommended to try Alclad paints and they arrived yesterday I had a quick try and suffered huge splattering.

I googled this and it sounded like it might be an issue wirh water in the tank, lines, pressure regulator or water trap, I almost pulled the trigger on a new one in bed last night as it was driving me crazy.

Then, a few searches later it dawn on me, I'd been using acrylic paints and not cleaned the needle /nozzle fully

So I dismantled the brush today

AND sure enough on the needle it had gummed up in a circle, almost like a seal.

I cleaned the needle, nozzle and tried again with the alclad paints and wow, it's a revalation

Again it's unlikely to shock many herwbut for me it's a valued part of my apprenticeship in this world of airbrushing.

After I'd finished these projects, I then took it apart and did the same to it again, so thst next time, it should start like new.

Take care yall.
71285ba1bc5ae8737a7bc3e2902588ea.jpg
9113a8abc442b1e053a730453b0d5d5d.jpg
5a3de7289363365dbfb4d4f7a97de4a3.jpg

Indonhave a quick question though, of course I do, it's. Me, lol

The bits I've circled

Is that called splatter?

Is it caused by too high a pressure? Or a dirty needle?

Thanks yall
63be1486274d398d08ff6d9ab55813ff.jpg

OK, so dry the tip everytime I "air off"? As it wasn't left for more. Than a few seconds
Tip dry is when the paint dries on the needle as you spray. Some paints and/or colors do this more than others. I clean the tip as a natural reflex when painting. I use a cleaner soaked (wet) small piece of paper towel and twist it over the needle tip...

Is using vasaline on the needle considered a good idea to help the paint flow?

I seem to have cracked it now.

For now....
Putting anything oil or oily based would cause a whole different wack of issues....remember, oil and water do not mix

Lol husky, all in good time lol

Quick question though

What causes splatter when you only pull the trigger a tiny bit?

The other issue was tip dry and something I've managed to drop happening since, but the splatter when just pulling the trigger a tiny bit?

Cheers

I was just teasing you. :D The most important thing is that you enjoy what you are doing. Doesn't matter if it's basecoating or something else. If you have fun factor with it, then you are the winner.

Quick question though

Assuming you had the same reduction/thinned paint like always then I would guess you come to close with your airbrush to your subject. Cause air was to strong, the paint hit the surface and made splatter. You could either spray from further or be so close like you were, but you would need to adjust the reduction of your paint for airbrushing so close.

If you were playing with reduction and you were airbrushing from the distance like you always do, then I would guess you over reduced your paint for that distance/ your control of airbrush.

Bear in mind, it could also happen that, what you think is pulling a trigger tiny bit, it can be for someone with better control pulling a trigger lot. I got quite a nice lesson when I was using needle limiter for something. So, pulling a trigger a tiny bit can be relative...

needle limiter:
41PLdtmMrFL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I had also splatters when I was cleaning my tip dry and I was using sponge with windex(Slovakian version) and I went and shoot straight after that. Cause windex was on a tip I got splatters cause of that. So, after I figure it out what is happening I always cleaned the tip, sprayed a little paint on piece of paper and after that I sprayed on my subject.

Sorry for bunch of blabbering, use Enigma machine if you can't understand what I was trying to tell you :D

I am sure others will know more. This was just few of my thoughts.

Quick question though

The other issue was tip dry and something I've managed to drop happening since, but the splatter when just pulling the trigger a tiny bit?

Cheers

Your splatter at the start could be caused by turning off of air before paint and there is paint on the needle. Turn air on next time...and you shoot that left over paint. If you are experiencing a blob at the moment you start to bring the needle back, Your paint could be a little thick.

The splatter issue is fixed guys thanks so much

However I'm almost finished and I've clear coated the model using zero paints 2k diamond clear

AND I have this on rhw finish

I used a spray booth and covered the model for 3 days with a box

As always thank you
a6b884d954042692063d1156ddb3c2fc.jpg

That texture is what's often referred to as "orange peel" (among modelers, at least). There's a few different things that can cause it. The ones I'm familiar with are :
A) Paint isn't thinned/reduced enough, so it's atomizing into overly large, high-viscosity droplets.
B) Trying to get a coat done in fewer thicker passes, instead of repeated thinner passes. If done while moving slowly, this causes drips/puddling, but if the paint has time to set between passes, you get thick orange peel instead.
C) Painting from too far away, so the paint drops have time to partially dry or collide into larger drops before they reach the surface. If the paint is drying in midair, you get a gritty or dusty looking paint surface that can sometimes rub off on your fingers. If the paint drops are gobbing together in midair, you get results similar to A or B above.

These factors can also be present in combination.

I've also heard that excess cold or humidity in the work area can play a role, but I live in a desert area, so I've not experienced this for myself.

Looking closely at that photo, the thing that I notice is the raised "lip" on the gas cap cover. Paint "pulling" towards edges like that is something you see when too much wet paint is present (the layer of liquid is too thick), so surface tension can effect its leveling. I.e. it looks like you're maybe doing B above. Looking back at your other pics in the thread seems to corroborate this: it looks like you're often pulling the trigger back too far, spraying paint too thick in a given pass; just shy of creating drips in some cases.

Pull the trigger back less, so you're only laying down misty see-through layers. Adjust your thinning/reducing and air pressure to get the smallest droplets you can. Slowly building up in thin layers/passes, allowing each pass to solidify before laying the next, is in my experience the key to smooth layers/finishes. There's a strong temptation to think "this is gonna take too long", and start pushing the limits of how much paint you can lay down in one pass, butt this instinct is treacherous.

Hope that helps!

That texture is what's often referred to as "orange peel" (among modelers, at least). There's a few different things that can cause it. The ones I'm familiar with are :
A) Paint isn't thinned/reduced enough, so it's atomizing into overly large, high-viscosity droplets.
B) Trying to get a coat done in fewer thicker passes, instead of repeated thinner passes. If done while moving slowly, this causes drips/puddling, but if the paint has time to set between passes, you get thick orange peel instead.
C) Painting from too far away, so the paint drops have time to partially dry or collide into larger drops before they reach the surface. If the paint is drying in midair, you get a gritty or dusty looking paint surface that can sometimes rub off on your fingers. If the paint drops are gobbing together in midair, you get results similar to A or B above.

These factors can also be present in combination.

I've also heard that excess cold or humidity in the work area can play a role, but I live in a desert area, so I've not experienced this for myself.

Looking closely at that photo, the thing that I notice is the raised "lip" on the gas cap cover. Paint "pulling" towards edges like that is something you see when too much wet paint is present (the layer of liquid is too thick), so surface tension can effect its leveling. I.e. it looks like you're maybe doing B above. Looking back at your other pics in the thread seems to corroborate this: it looks like you're often pulling the trigger back too far, spraying paint too thick in a given pass; just shy of creating drips in some cases.

Pull the trigger back less, so you're only laying down misty see-through layers. Adjust your thinning/reducing and air pressure to get the smallest droplets you can. Slowly building up in thin layers/passes, allowing each pass to solidify before laying the next, is in my experience the key to smooth layers/finishes. There's a strong temptation to think "this is gonna take too long", and start pushing the limits of how much paint you can lay down in one pass, butt this instinct is treacherous.

Hope that helps!
So much wonderful information thank you

I think I've managed to learn a fair amount from it, genuinely appreciate it thank you
e0bf2b841c1ad7c8cdc12881d3c836b5.jpg
954555eb81c036ba83f5fe5e2d8cecc9.jpg

Sent from my PDEM30 using Tapatalk

The xbox pad is the one I've done, the ps4 pad is the idea I'd like to try, ie stickers?

Is there a name what I want? Is it just any decals? Etc

Many thanks

I'm excited that I might do well here now :)
dba18a0ed14076b41d8418fa19f74166.jpg
a3c7f0a614f3e9828cfd4ea8d9417224.jpg

Sent from my PDEM30 using Tapatalk

Back