Day one in the airbrush house

Quick question my bros

Can I use water based candy paint like createx c02 on carbon fibre? And then use a solvent 2k clear top?

Thanks all

Sent from my M2007J1SC using Tapatalk
I believe so yes. I haven’t painted on carbon myself, but I’m sure I’ve seen a video from Createx using Candy2o on carbon. 100% you can use 2k over Candy2o, that I have done many times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe so yes. I haven’t painted on carbon myself, but I’m sure I’ve seen a video from Createx using Candy2o on carbon. 100% you can use 2k over Candy2o, that I have done many times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Brilliant thanks mate

Just wanted to pop by and say I hope everyone is going good.

I've now finished the drone and it's turned out well for my first project in 18 months and first carbon job, there are one or 2 issues causes by high winds knocking it into the floor but 99%of the issues will be hidden by parts.

Yesterday I tried my first ever hydrodip, over silver, and the tonight I sprayed my first candy and clear, it's a bit rough because I had such little time, but this is just a spare part and a practise run, for so may first times it's turned out OK, I'm gonna have a go at wet sanding (yikes) tomorrow as there's not a smooth finish but, overall, a good practise run and now I've got some better metallic base silvers gonna have a play with some more candy's.

Thanks as always

Looks like it turned out great from the pics Buddy! Figuring out and learning how to fix parts when things fall over is all part of the deal. I seemed to be very clumsy on the most recent piece and had to fix for or five different issues. For the most part they’re now hidden, but it all comes with practice. Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it turned out great from the pics Buddy! Figuring out and learning how to fix parts when things fall over is all part of the deal. I seemed to be very clumsy on the most recent piece and had to fix for or five different issues. For the most part they’re now hidden, but it all comes with practice. Nice job.

Thanks very much buddy, I've got 2 more drones stripped and prepped for paining really found my love of it again, thanks again so much for all the help

Morning guys, so the first drone went amazing and now I'm into no2 using candy and trying different things, unfortunately I did make a couple of errors, including getting red onto the green parts, how's best to fix this?

Thank you

Evening gents, so 8 decided to just re apply the primer, base and fix the issues I had with a few arts, seems to have worked OK, this frame is well used and crashed so not great to use for painting but it'll look once once all the wires etc are installed.

Anyway, I do have another question if I may?

I have what I THINK is called orange peel on my clear, I'm suing zero paints diamond 2k clear, with clear, hardener and thinners.

I don't get these when I apply my paints or when I used rattle can clear on my last job, so what's causing this?

I assume the way to fix it will be to allow to set, then wet sand it smooth, and go again?

Thanks so much

Evening gents, so 8 decided to just re apply the primer, base and fix the issues I had with a few arts, seems to have worked OK, this frame is well used and crashed so not great to use for painting but it'll look once once all the wires etc are installed.

Anyway, I do have another question if I may?

I have what I THINK is called orange peel on my clear, I'm suing zero paints diamond 2k clear, with clear, hardener and thinners.

I don't get these when I apply my paints or when I used rattle can clear on my last job, so what's causing this?

I assume the way to fix it will be to allow to set, then wet sand it smooth, and go again?

Thanks so much

There are a lot of factors that contribute to orange peel in 2k clear. It it’s the a sign that you’re doing anything wrong at all. Many high end paint shops will have orange peel because they put enough clear down to be safe to sand and polish to as near perfect flat as they can. You’re bang on about the next move. Wet sand and buff! I actually enjoy the process as it’s another skill to learn.

There are a lot of factors that contribute to orange peel in 2k clear. It it’s the a sign that you’re doing anything wrong at all. Many high end paint shops will have orange peel because they put enough clear down to be safe to sand and polish to as near perfect flat as they can. You’re bang on about the next move. Wet sand and buff! I actually enjoy the process as it’s another skill to learn.

Thanks bro

I'm really struggling to get the wet sanding, machine polish to remove it all.

I read that more air helps reduce orange peel, as does more thinner?

I don't suppose you know what sort of pressure "more air" generally means for 2k clear? I can generally wet sand and polish with compound the areas that are not really bad, so if I can try and get it to lay down smoother in the first instance then I think I might have cracked it

Doing great Mike. I've never had a drone but I quite like them especially the racing drones which looks like what you have. I have a helicopter but have packed it away since I crashed it in the living room and almost totalled the Television. Its not a micro copter !! I found a lot of great info on this youtube channel. No Name Shop, its been called a few names but I guess the guy Matt has changed the name again so as not to cause any conflicts of interests. This is one vid on colour sanding and polishing, he knows his stuff and I love his vids. Loads of other stuff to watch too.

Doing great Mike. I've never had a drone but I quite like them especially the racing drones which looks like what you have. I have a helicopter but have packed it away since I crashed it in the living room and almost totalled the Television. Its not a micro copter !! I found a lot of great info on this youtube channel. No Name Shop, its been called a few names but I guess the guy Matt has changed the name again so as not to cause any conflicts of interests. This is one vid on colour sanding and polishing, he knows his stuff and I love his vids. Loads of other stuff to watch too.
This vid is a useful one for sure.

Thanks bro

I'm really struggling to get the wet sanding, machine polish to remove it all.

I read that more air helps reduce orange peel, as does more thinner?

I don't suppose you know what sort of pressure "more air" generally means for 2k clear? I can generally wet sand and polish with compound the areas that are not really bad, so if I can try and get it to lay down smoother in the first instance then I think I might have cracked it

I can’t remember what your spraying the 2k with. I’ve only ever used mini guns around 20 - 30 psi depending which one. I make sure my 3rd coat puts enough down to be able to wet sand with 800 and move up from there. Even then it takes a while to sand it all flat. The general advice is to keep trying different pressures and distance along with speed of movement. And using slow hardener when possible.

Thanks guys, I'm getting closer with it, I did see soekrhijf on ebay that's a whole lot more cost effective than the zero paints 2k called

KAPCI 2K LACQUER KIT 1.8 LITRE / CLEAR LACQUER, ACTIVATOR AND THINNERS clearcoat

Does anyone know if this can be airbrushed? And if its any good?

Its about the same price for for 4x more

Sorry @Mike115 I've never heard of that brand so don't know if it would work with an airbrush. My "guessing" is anything 0.5 or bigger should work, maybe a .35 eclipse? but you'll probably have to use some thinners in the clear to make it sprayable. Its another try on a scrap board jobby.

This vid is a useful one for sure.

I like his vids because the were interesting, he's keen, seems to know what he's doing, swears like a real painter, takes the pi$$ out of his apprentice and shows you how to do things with good results. Shame he got 200% ripped off by someone and packed up. I hope he starts doing videos again.

Last edited:
Sorry @Mike115 I've never heard of that brand so don't know if it would work with an airbrush. My "guessing" is anything 0.5 or bigger should work, maybe a .35 eclipse? but you'll probably have to use some thinners in the clear to make it sprayable. Its another try on a scrap board jobby.

I like his vids because the were interesting, he's keen, seems to know what he's doing, swears like a real painter, takes the pi$$ out of his apprentice and shows you how to do things with good results. Shame he got 200% ripped off by someone and packed up. I hope he starts doing videos again.
Oh man, that sucks. What happened there?

Oh wow he got ripped off? As a photographer I've been there and it's horrenus, put me off posting on social media at all tbh

His videos are great thanks so much for sharing

From what I remember the guy who had the mechanic shop next door used to get him to do work and eventually became partners with him, ended up having a shared shop where they were building RX7's and drifty fast and furious type cars. Turns out that the mechanic was leaching all the money etc etc for himself, Matt did explain everything in a vid but he may have taken it down. I just loved watching his videos.

So there is a "go to" best of the best for 2k clear for airbrushes?

Or are they all much of a muchness?

Thanks guys

Back