Day one in the airbrush house

No not really Mike, the airbrush was designed for photo retouching and illustration not for clear coat but it is used for loads of paint an liquids that are not airbrush specific The bigger the nozzle the better as you need good flow, so if you have an eclipse bcs which is a 0.5 setup it should work with a bit more psi than normal.
I have 0.5 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194394114909?hash=item2d42cacb5d:g:AVYAAOSw~PBhUN0n
and
0.8 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184268054511?hash=item2ae73b5fef:g:UakAAOSw8jpepQe6cheap mini guns if I want to do any clear and I run it through my big compressor I don't think small compressors can produce the volume of air needed.

An Iwata TR or the Mr Hobby Creos PS 290 would probably do the job as they both have fan caps for "spraying" and would more than likely run ok off an airbrush compressor, but if you don't have them then you have to make do with what you got.

I'm an idiot

I've been trying it with a 0.2mm needle

I've just upped the pressure and used 0.5, it seems to have gone on far easier and better but will need to see it dry to confirm

Sent from my M2007J1SC using Tapatalk

So yeah, just checked after an hour and already it looks better than all the rest lol, seems I'm a total freaking idiot [emoji23]

No not really Mike, the airbrush was designed for photo retouching and illustration not for clear coat but it is used for loads of paint an liquids that are not airbrush specific The bigger the nozzle the better as you need good flow, so if you have an eclipse bcs which is a 0.5 setup it should work with a bit more psi than normal.
I have 0.5 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194394114909?hash=item2d42cacb5d:g:AVYAAOSw~PBhUN0n
and
0.8 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184268054511?hash=item2ae73b5fef:g:UakAAOSw8jpepQe6cheap mini guns if I want to do any clear and I run it through my big compressor I don't think small compressors can produce the volume of air needed.

An Iwata TR or the Mr Hobby Creos PS 290 would probably do the job as they both have fan caps for "spraying" and would more than likely run ok off an airbrush compressor, but if you don't have them then you have to make do with what you got.
Bang on what I would advise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So yeah, just checked after an hour and already it looks better than all the rest lol, seems I'm a total freaking idiot [emoji23]

That doesn’t make you and idiot at all man. There is a huge amount to learn regarding just paint and what it needs to perform at it’s best. Then there’s learning the actual application. most of us are trying to do both at the same time.

Is a mini gun not too big to blast these relatively parts with?

For models I would say that the Creos P290 is one of the better options. It has a .5 needle nozzle combo, comes with a fan pattern cap and is a lot cheaper than other manufacturers without compromising quality.

Your too kind mate thank you.

And this community is amazing, just amazing.

The Creos P290 is about £130 yeah? Just so I know I'm looking at the right one lol

Your too kind mate thank you.

And this community is amazing, just amazing.

The Creos P290 is about £130 yeah? Just so I know I'm looking at the right one lol

I think so yeah. Let me post a link for you.

I think so yeah. Let me post a link for you.

Got it thanks man, just posted something else I own currently, just trying to save a few pennies before Xmas

My good wife reminded me I bought this in the early days

Not sure if this would be OK for clearing?

https://ibb.co/8dcWt1c

It would work as long as your compressor will move enough air for it. As you said, it may well be overkill for your needs, but if the compressor will support it, the. It’ll get you going for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks buddy I have a compressor with an air tank so I assume that should be OK?

For clear, do you need to be as precise as paining? Or can you just blast with gun like this?

Thanks so much guys

Thanks buddy I have a compressor with an air tank so I assume that should be OK?

For clear, do you need to be as precise as paining? Or can you just blast with gun like this?

Thanks so much guys

It’s not the air tank but the CFM that the compressor produces that’s important. Eg if a Spray Gun requires 12 cubic feet per minute (CFM) and the compressor only produces 3, it’s not going to workout. The gun will use more than the compressor can provide. Most mini spray guns require between 6 and 9 (approx). Full size guns can require around 14 CFM. Small airbrush compressors produce very low CFM because airbrushes don’t require much at all. My compressor has a 50l tank and produces around 7 CFM. so I can just about run an efficient mini gun, but don’t stand a chance of running a full size gun. HVLP is no good for small compressors because of the High Volume part.

Helpful as always mate thanks, I'll check it in the morning, the clear from. The. 5 needle has cured virtually peel free too, so I'm getting closer, thanks to you and others here

I've found this

ORAZIO low noise Silent Air compressor 9L Europe Plug 600W for Garage Clinic

Specifications:
Power supply : 230V 50Hz 650W, 1450rpm ,
Tank Real Capacity : 8.5L
Noise level :66db
A Working Pressure: 0.7mpa
Air inlet: 1/4"
Air outlet: 1/4"
Air Flow: 9L/Min
It is Oil Free compressor.

I've found this

Specifications:
the airflow of 9L/Min should run the HVLP without issue BUT in my opinion the HVLP is not the right tool for the job if you are painting models. The HVLP would fit into the 'One motorcycle faring' or 'one car bonnet' category for me

I'd go the Iwata TH /Creos P290 would make much more sense.

In regard to you thinking you are an idiot, please don't !! there is so much to learn in a new hobby and nobody here expects anyone to know everything and its very much a case of you don't know what you need to know. Thats why we exist, to help newcomers along what can be a very bumpy journey :)

I've found this

Specifications:

Ok, so 9L/Min works at at about 0.3 CFM.
To give an example the Iwata LPH80 is a fantastic mini gun that requires very little CFM to function properly. It is classed as an LVLP (Low volume, low pressure). It needs 60l/m or 2 CFM. So that is considered low volume.
Any gun marked HVLP (High Volume, low pressure) will require more L/m or CFM. They’re usually not the best choice for hobby painters as they need a more powerful compressor.
Your 9L/m is great for an airbrush but not enough for anything larger to run properly. It may struggle even with the fan pattern airbrush.
So bottom line, I would stick with your .5 setup as it seems to be working for you right now.
In the future you can always look to upgrade the compressor a little and maybe look at the fan latter airbrushes.

A 3d printer makes you practise your painting more, it's made me fall back in love with painting and trying to learn better skills, winner

Back