Different output air pressures

jct

Young Tutorling
Hi all,
Did a quick search but no hits so I'm posting my question...I've got 3 brushes set up on a regulated manifold, a Neo gravity feed, a no name gravity feed and a TC side feed. The problem is that the Neo has a much lower output pressure at the paint nozzle then either of the other two brushes. Not sure if this has always been the case or not cause I've only recently started using all three simultaneously.

This is a pain because you're never sure what pressure or mix ratio will work when changing from one brush to another.

I've pulled the Neo down thinking there may be a restriction in the air passage or some such but can find nothing out of the ordinary.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any and all assistance is appreciated
J

The Neo has always had a lower output pressure ;), and you just didn't notice. The Neo, by design is supposed to operate at a lower air pressure, or so they claim. The design has the size of the exit orifice of the nozzle cap being very small in comparison to the outside diameter of the nozzle. In comparison, the gap between the two is much smaller on the Neo than the other brushes you mention. Because of this, there will simply not be enough room to physically move the same amount of air through in the same amount of time.

The design, in theory, is a very good one - it is what makes a Micron work better than an Eclipse, or even a Neo, in terms of producing a very fine spray pattern, and extremely fine detail. In application, maybe not the best on the Neo...

There are very few brushes across model or brand that will utilize air exactly the same as another. The best is to learn how each brush works by itself, and treat it as an individual.

Last edited:
I find that my airbrushes all use a slightly different air pressure the Iwata micron and the iwata HP sb+ come real close but there is still a difference my solution is a mac valve so I can regulate the pressure for each airbrush without changing it on the compressor and I set the compressor to the max pressure the most demanding airbrush needs in my case that is about 3 bar for the Iwata revolution

And on top of what has been said, is there no golden formula for reduction VS air pressure. You either thin the paint until it sprays at the pressure you want to work at or you adjust the pressure so that it works with the paint viscosity you want to work with. I see it alot among model and miniature painters that they take it as gospel what is written on the paint bottles.

Back