For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

dog training skills put through the test

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Ronald art, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I wont bother you all with the details about a incident that happened about 2 weeks ago that didnt involved my dog but has made people look with different eyes to powerful dogs like I have regardless the fact that I walk with 2 dogs and the second one is a small Yorkshire terrier mix.
    my dogs are young and full of energie so they need to be able to run and play in a off leash forest that is not a dog park as such but a normal forest that is open to all no matter if you just want the have walk / run or ride a bike as long as you understand that dogs run free .
    My big boy is now nearly 20 month old and loves to play with the little one but goes bananas when he sees a big dog and in that case he will play like any bulldog would play with lots of body contact :) and that has never been a problem and it still isnt if I know the owner or the dog but there are always people that only walk their dog ones a week in that forest and have no idea how dogs play and this is the problem I am now facing and make that my every day walks there are now full on training walks and now have to train that young dog only to play when I say so and stop playing on command .
    There is one thing that works in my favor he is part American bulldog part Doggo Argentiono and the doggo part in him is the stronger side in him and that part is not only real smart but also wants to work for me like there is no tomorrow and a little reward works wonders if all else fails ;)
    right now I can call him up front and stop him in his tracks but I need to be in time if I try it when he is in full speed I not always able to stop him ( yet)
    Stopping him from playing is a bit harder but I found out it is all about the right timing with him as he keeps paying attention to me when he is running and playing
    I had hoped I could wait with his final training till he is 6 or so months older but when people start to point the finger at him as if he is a dangerous powerful killing machine it is time to step it up
    I am the first person who will admit that in the wrong hands and with the wrong training he will grow up to be that killing machine but I know he can be the best working dog you can wish for with the right ( soft) training

Sorry for this long post but I had to vent my frustration :D
    SiRoxx and huskystafford like this.
  2. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Very Likeable!

I have my share of moments with powerfull bread-am staff. With my past dog we had problems from when I brought him home. There was always owners of dogs scared of my puppy and he wasn't allowed to play with them. This was kinda crap, cause of that, dog doesn't get so much socialization like my husky got when he was young. Had few moments when I realized it's a little different story with powerfull breads. Bear in mind on leash he walked like a pro. We had trainings in a club, so leash wasn't a problem.

a)He pull out of the wall a hook rated for 1500kg from - concrete with armor plate inside when he was playing with his toy

b) 2 dog collars exploded(metal ones) when he pulled in the moment. I needed to buy special one from Sprenger which makes collars with a special process so they can handle pressure.

c) When he was 12months old some dog attacked my dog. It was first fight for my dog. End result? I throw myself on my dog. That was the first time he was involved in the fight. I fixed my right-stronger arm around his neck(so I stop my dogs neck movement) so he doesn't brake neck of attacker dog. My dog grabbed him by his big ear and he was shaking with his head left and right. So attacker head went left-right-left-right-left-right and I thought his neck will snap. When I grabbed my dog while laying on him so I stop his head and body movement I tried to choke my dog with left hand so he would let go the attacker. Meanwhile attacker was biting my left hand and I got 6-7 bites in my hand. After that moment when I realized how bad(how much power) it can get outleashed, my dog was all the time near my leg and I was yelling on other
    owners to call their dogs. And he was 12 months old... He got much bigger at his 2 years.

d) One time straight out of blue rodesian ridgeback went for my dog. I don't know what his problem was , but he was going for it from far away. No smelling or something. Owner of that rodesian was yelling on his dog, but dog didn't listen. I gave my dog so much freedom so he can defend himself, but not to go full tilt on that dog. So basically I protected the attacker with giving my dog limited space to manipulate. End results was: rodesian lost piece of ear, bunch of blood was all around cause of that and me yelling at the owner of that dog.

We had few more moments like that in 13 years. People here have unleashed dogs, so it was quite a challenge.

I was thinking about what to do lately. Planning to get a dog at the start of next year. I love how easy and ''no responsibility'' gives husky, and I hate how much power am staff had. So I don't know what I will decide. I know I can't change people and probably I would have same issues with power dog like I had. And other owners which loves to have unleashed dogs which loves to get involved in fight. And this can screw power dog very fast...One fight and my dog was never the same.
  3. Ronald art

I hear you Husky , over the past 20 or so years I only had powerful dogs mainly from shelters and with a history that was unknown and my first was the same mixed breed as I have now.
    I trained that dog to be social towards people and animals this was real easy for me as I had tested him before I took him home with me I had him for 8 years till he got a brain tumor and I had him put down .
    He did get involved in a few dog fights but never really harmed a dog as he would wrap himself around the other dog like a "python" and hold the dog down in a chocking grip till the dog would give up fighting or moving or till I would give him the command to release

the young dog I am training now has also been tested but in a way I would not have expected : the first test was with a mother who asked if I would allow the then 5 month old dog to go to her baby in a stroller I agreed but only because he was on the leash at the time and I was in control and he was real soft and gentle with that baby and showed respect his second test was during his first training in a group of dogs when he was faced with a dog that was fearful and launched out to him his reaction to this dog was what I wanted to see : he stepped back and gave the dog space without reacting to that dog
    his final test was when I was asked if a few 4 or 5 year old kids could pet him again I agreed but this time he was not on a leash and I told the parent that they had to control their children while I kept an eye on my dog the parents instructed the kids not to run or make sudden moves and respect the dog . By this time the dog was about 6 months old and I had started with his basic training and this test ended with the kids picking berries with the dog next to them and even trying to pick some berries for himself .
    by then I was sure I had the right dog and when I saw a large group of young kids walking with their teachers I send him in that group and let him walk with them he walked real calm among those kids but was scouting his surroundings and that to me was the sign he had what it takes to be a good working dog that would protect any "pack" he was part off

I am working with this dog for nearly 16 months and yes there have been a few small incidents : he will warn dogs to back off if he doesnt trust them and he will put them in their place but he only uses his head and not his teeth I know dog owners will get crazy when he does that and I will call him off if I see the first signs

Today I noticed a dog that has picked a fight with my dog last spring and when his owner is around he will try to fight so I always call my dog up front when I see that dog only this time my dog was following his nose and way behind me and the owner of that dog was nowhere to be seen but when the dog saw me he turned around and ran away as fast as he could so now I know the problem : that dog is fearful and unstable and I know that my dog will step back so no need to call him or protect him :)
    huskystafford likes this.
  4. huskystafford

''the turning point'' for my dog was the time when other dogs were realizing he is becoming a male. They start back humping him-after back humping we had period of dogs attacking him to try to scare him and show him their dominance. When I told owners to stop their dog doing that, they were laughing. Their excuse was: hey this is what all dogs do. So one day that sheep dog humping my youngster. I went on google to find picture of that breed.
    [​IMG]

And you could see from a ''mile far away'', my dog was depressed while this dog is humping his back :D Meanwhile owner was laughing, he was enjoying how his dog is having fun with am staff. Somehow my dog lose himself free, took few steps back and run with full power and hit that dog with his chest. He never bite dog, this was before first fight so he just run in to sheep dog and crushed in to him with his chest. Sheep dog went in to the air while rolling in the air!

Then we had period of hey lets have fun and attack huskyies dog and the first fight when my dog had enough was the end of it. He realized he is strong and he didn't like males anymore.

I also had a lot of issues with him, cause he had to much energy. It was crap working with him outdoors with all that energy. So I bought treadmill for him. This worked great. Before I went out with him he was running on treadmill and he didn't have energy for stupid things. We could do much easier all the exercises(sit,lay down,walk by and so on) that way. The coin of treadmill was, he was buff like hulk in 6 months and he needed more and more...

If I would take another dog like that this days I would change this: As soon I would see problematic dog I would step in between so my dog wouldn't get that experience. And I would yell on owners which don't give a crap how their dog is behaving. Cause 13 years of ownership and responsibillity is a long time...

On other hand with husky I didn't have problems like that. It was chill and easy. But we had moments when unleashed rottweiller attacked my leash husky and me and my friend were kicking that Rottweiller so he would let go of my husky. Rottweiler didn't care about kicks... He broke tail of my husky and owner of that rottweiler wonted to fight us. he was big buff dude.

I was thinking what to do next year. Was thinking about bear maze while walking a dog(still need to decide what kinda dog). But I feel like that is over kill. Dunno...Decisions decisions. But I must admit I did learn a lot owning am staff. And also it was more fun owning a husky... What kinda options are available for dogs to chase them away if they wanna to attack on market? Maybe that air horn which is used on football games? :D
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  5. Ronald art

the dominance games between male dogs are a big problem and I decided years ago all my dogs male or female would get fixed as soon as they are 6 month old with the big boy I have right now it had to be done with 8 month due to a heat wave and the big temperature difference between the vets op room and the outside so he is not a real male any more and that my friend makes all the difference in his training I can train a dog but not his hormones so his balls had to go ;)
    If I notice a other dog wants to mount him I warn the owners to control their dog and tell if they dont I will do it the hard way and that works like a charm lol
    And Husky I need my dogs to trust me as the pack leader so I always put them behind me if a situation asks for it and when they are on the leash they are always either beside me or a little behind me but never in front of me
    I have to admit that after I had my stroke I was no longer able to handle powerful dogs for a few years and when a friend asked if I could dog sit his big mastiff for the weekend some 4 years ago I had my doubts but I did it any way and it went perfect this dog was still a full male dog and was scouting out for other males but I only had to correct him once and he stopped doing it and the most funny thing I ever watched was when my friend and his brother came to pick him up that dog pulled himself free from the leash and ran back to me and refused to listen to his owner and I had to walk back to my friend with the dog beside me without a leash and put him in my friends car needless to say my friend was not very happy with it but his brother could not stop laughing
  6. Ronald art

I took a pic from my young dog this evening I know it is not the best pic but it does show him at his best
    DSCN1517.JPG
  7. huskystafford

This is great looking dog!
  8. huskystafford

I was younger then today and I identified with my dog so I didn't have a heart to mess with balls of his. :laugh: I wonder what I would do today. You gave me some food for thoughts there. All my female friend were telling me that I need to do it, but my argument was they can't understand. Hey, at least I am honest with my self and I admit how I was thinking decade ago.

The funny part was, my husky had balls also and we didn't have any problem with dominance. Once he tried to start a fight, I grabbed him by his skin on top of neck, shake him a little and that was it. Never again a problem. This is probably a reason why I still desire dog like husky. Each minute I invested in to him he gave back(they are very smart), while with terrier I needed to invest friking months in to the same thing and it didn't come close. But it was my first power breed, so I would do many stuff differently this days. I guess you learn each day.

That's why I love your dog topics, cause I can pick tips&tricks for my future adventures with a dog which will end in my hands.
  9. huskystafford

Neither would be I, if that would be my dog :laugh:
    Ronald art likes this.
  10. Ronald art

most male dogs I know still have their balls but when you own a powerful and dominant dog like your husky mix it is a wise thing to do , when I got my first mix like Jake he was a year old and his breed had to be changed by the shelters vet as according to the law back then he had to be put down but the shelter didnt have the money to get him fixed and that is still a big problem
    that dog had his first near fight after I had him for about a month and could only stop him by kicking both dogs in the chest before they could start to fight .
    I took him to the vet on the same day and told him to fix his problem but that was a old school vet that refused to take his balls off so the next day I went looking for a vet that would do it and I found a real good one that took one look at my dog and asked how old he was and if he was still a full male .
    when I told him he was a year old to the day and that he came from a shelter he told me right his balls need to go asap just make an appointment and I will fix him and if you ever get an other one like this dog make sure you call me when that dog is 6 months old and I will get rid of the hormones and it doesnt matter if it is a male or female dog
    A year later I found out that this vet was a big rotweiler lover and understood what it means if you love the big powerful breeds but also what can happen if hormones take over the dogs brain
  11. Ronald art

I had to look trough my albums but I managed to find a pic of the first mixed breed I got from the shelter and I found a few but this is the best one
    he was about 7 years old in this pic
    jack2.jpg
  12. huskystafford

He wasn't a mix. I had 2 dogs at the same time. One was husky and second one was american stafford.

here is a photo of him sleeping
    IMG_0970.jpg
  13. huskystafford

yep, this is quite an issue.
  14. Ronald art

sorry for the mistake and that is one good looking american stafford did you know that breed was used to create the Doggo Argentiono so my boy has some of that dna in him and that is why I am so keen on training these dogs to be social towards people and animals
  15. huskystafford

Neutering a dog is quite easy to do here, but I feel like female veterinarians are more happy to do it then male ones :laugh:
  16. huskystafford

Didn't know. I took that dog cause they wanted to use him in fights. So I save him and screwed my self :D

I did learn him how to drink properly though :D

I%C5%A1ki vintgar 3364.jpg
  17. huskystafford

I had problem with people which didn't allow my dog to play with theirs. Socialization was a big challenge. Cause when he was 6 months old(got him when he was 2 months and 2 weeks) he had muscles and they didn't see a puppy. In their eyes my dog was a killing machine... It was really a challenge...
  18. huskystafford

here is the last photo, went to check if I got any of both of them together. This is very old photo. Won't thread hijack any more -.-I suspect huskies father was actually a fox male :laugh: Am.staff was around 12 months old on this picture.

[​IMG]
  19. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

My situation is a bit different - I have always liked dogs, especially when they were someone else's. I never actually wanted one. One day, 4 years ago, now - I opened my front door and there was a large dog laying against my outer screen door. I thought to myself, "nope", closed the door and went around the back of the house to leave. I figured with no attention, he would leave... Well, that went on for 3 days with him refusing to leave from right in front of my front door. I finally at least looked at the big dog, and could tell that he was actually a puppy - HUGE feet, awkward body, etc... Again, on day 3, aside from looking at him, I paid no further attention to him. On the afternoon of the 4th day I chose to sit in a chair on the front porch. The large dog did approach me, softly, and quietly - But, I ignored him. No food, no water, no nothing.... n the morning of the 5th day, I looked out my door, and did not see the dog. I thought, "Fantastic! He finally left...". Before opening the door, I opened the window and peeked my head out. There was the dog, all balled up in the chair I had sat in the day before - at that point I knew I was done for.

I tried everything to get rid of that animal - called he animal shelter, but they were full, and could not take him, put flyers up around town, posted his photo all over social media - and no one wanted him. On day 6 I finally fed him for the first time... Day 7 I took him to the vet to get checked out - @ 3-4 months old, and already 65lbs, while being visually thin from being abandoned. Once I fed him for the first time, I reluctantly accepted full responsibility for the beast.

He now weighs in at 165lbs, and is physically HUGE. He is a mutt, mixed with blood hound, although he outweighs one by almost another 50%, and is taller - perhaps some ridgeback mixed in, as he has a wild stripe of hair that runs down his back that turns into a mowhawk when he decides to act aggressive.

Best thing about this animal, is he is super soft in demeanor. He has a wonderful disposition. He is also way too smart - everything that I have wanted to teach him has taken hardly more than the thought to do so - he always just seems to know what I need for him to do. He is fantastic on a leash, won't leave the house before I put one on him - he will just stand in the doorway. If I drop the leash, he will stop dead in his tracks, and wait for me to pick it up. If his collar should pop off, he will stop, and walk towards me till I slip it back over his head. In a dead sprint, while chasing deer, or rabbit, if I call his name (Stinky) he will stop in his tracks, and just stay. I am not real sure what he would do with another dog, as we don't see too many others out here. The few times one has been walking up the road, or around the yard, they have taken one look at Stinky, and turned and ran away... He has picked up responding to hand gestures as commands really well.

Never wanted one, but now can not imagine a day without this big goof ball in it.
    Ttxela and huskystafford like this.
  20. huskystafford

:laugh: