Early to Mid-60's Paasche "V"

DaveG

Airbush Analyst
Not real sure on the age on this one, as it was accompanied by zero paper work. The handle style along with several manufacturing ques have me guessing at early to mid-60's. It was in fantastic shape when it arrived! Very clean, inside and out.
v-in-case1.jpg

Even still, I broke it down and gave it a complete spa treatment, complete cleaning and go through, before putting it back together, and testing. Just looking it over, it is hard to tell if the brush was ever removed from the case before. Not a single mark on the metal, no wear on the trigger post sides, no rub marks on the chucking guide, and no paint residue anywhere to be found.

I replaced the springs to better suit my personal tastes - and filled the cup with some Etac EFX right from the bottle to test with. The brushes performance is simply sublime. The change in springs has the trigger action super smooth, and on the soft side, needle response very clean and positive. It will do little, itty, bitty detail with a minimum of tip dry for hours on end. I had a mid 80's Paasche "V", as well as a few of the current offerings, and they do not hold a candle to this brush, in any respect.
v-case-1.jpg v-standing-with-case2.jpg v-standing-with-case1.jpg

I didn't say anything about this brush when it arrived, as there was a companion piece (albeit a decade or two older) up for auction, and I did not want to draw more attention to it before I had a fair shot at it ;).

The companion piece should be here early next week :).

You certainly lucked out on that brush! Too bad it doesn't have the cool green handle. I've got one if you want it.

You certainly lucked out on that brush! Too bad it doesn't have the cool green handle. I've got one if you want it.
hahaha, purchased a green handled version this afternoon. It is older still, has the round head cap rather than the hex shaped one. Has a camel-back case with all the bits and pieces included.

Yeah that's the vintage of the one I got- no needle seal in it. Sadly all the head bits were in very poor shape.

Yes jurien, and ive seen it on FB dave, I got 3 already, ,a Super93 would be nice but i probably wouldnt use it. Then theres sprites but they have the same setup as the 63

:Lee

Thats a nice specimen Dave, Mine are fairly shiny I do love the 93 and it is on my wish list but it doesnt have the cam ring like the 63. Its a weird concept and i never use it but its a similar thing to the Aztek with the roller to move the trigger, they must have nicked the concept.

Lee

Thats a nice specimen Dave, Mine are fairly shiny I do love the 93 and it is on my wish list but it doesnt have the cam ring like the 63. Its a weird concept and i never use it but its a similar thing to the Aztek with the roller to move the trigger, they must have nicked the concept.

Lee
Yeah, the cam ring is nifty! But, boy putting those pieces back together is a chore! Have actually recently become acquainted with someone that used to work there (Aerograph), but did not think to ask him till after I already accomplished the task. They used to use pencil erasers to hold everything in place... I used a dowel and double faced tape ;)

There are several brushes that use some sort of system to move the trigger back from the front, and I prefer this over a limiter from the back - like an Iwata preset handle. The one on the Aerograph dates back far enough to be truly impressive. I have one eye on one from the early 30's.

I have a book with a step by step strip down of the 63 and the sprite. No guessing for me lol they are too fiddly.

Lee
Jord001,

Did you happen to see my post about the Devilbis technician's kit? I ask as I am now in possession of enough spares to handle both of my Super63s. DaveG mentioned that you happen to have 10 of them? Any chance you have the disassembly info as a PDF would you?

I dont have it on pdf but i may be able to get it scanned. It wont be this week though as my buddy is out of the country and he has the scanner. I will go and scan the pages of the book when he gets back early next week and post them up or whatever we need to do.

Lee

picked up an even older Paasche V, complete with case and accessories. Unfortunately this one looks good, but needs some TLC to bring it around. The nozzle is either flared, or cracked, and there is some sort of misalignment between the needle chuck and the needle passage through the brush body - as the needle binds really tight when it starts to enter the brush body. I used some parts from another "V" to test the brush, and got it spraying, but it is obvious the nozzle it roached... Didn't pay a lot for the brush, so no worries - I will get it to come around.
paaschev no2 2.jpg

That's a gorgeous V you got there. I hope you can get it up and running.

I arrived home today to find a perfectly mint Badger 100 waiting for me! Can't wait to sling some paint with it. ;)

I wonder if Paasche would even be capable of producing a 60's V, or if all the talented machinists from that era are all gone and the current version really is the best they have to offer.

Added a VJR from the same vintage to the group -
paasche-vjr-1.jpg

It needed a good cleaning, and may need a new needle if I can't get a small wrinkle out of this one, just before the tip - but, it is working fairly well as is.

Last edited:
Back