End of the CM-SB

First thought that came into my mind was that Iwata bought H&S company, that's why this design of the cup appeared in Iwata's line of ABs.
To say the least, this cup looks strange on the side feed ABs, especially on the Micron SB:)
Procon Boy

gnzps276_0.jpg

:whistling:

Iwata has had a 1/2oz. siphon feed side cup for years (pictured below). This is the first time they will be incorporating it with the Micron as a standard option (there was an Eclipse version that came with it, aimed at automotive work).
iwata .5oz cup.jpg

It does look like the new version if based on the removable H&S color cups from the Infinity line (could also be the same cups made for the NEO, which come in two sizes) , with a screw off base - which also has the feed tube attached to it. One base will take 3 different size cups.

The cup used on the Procon Boy is the same cup that has been used on the Olympos brushes, (as well as a few other Japanese brands including the NEO TRN2) for decades.

What I have read is that both the Micron and Eclipse bodies are 7mm shorter trigger to tip on these new models. I am more interested in the Eclipse at this point, than the Micron. I also don't think there will be any real big gains in performance on either model.

Iwata has had a 1/2oz. siphon feed side cup for years (pictured below). This is the first time they will be incorporating it with the Micron as a standard option (there was an Eclipse version that came with it, aimed at automotive work).
View attachment 65656
View attachment 65656

It does look like the new version if based on the removable H&S color cups from the Infinity line (could also be the same cups made for the NEO, which come in two sizes) , with a screw off base - which also has the feed tube attached to it. One base will take 3 different size cups.

The cup used on the Procon Boy is the same cup that has been used on the Olympos brushes, (as well as a few other Japanese brands including the NEO TRN2) for decades.

What I have read is that both the Micron and Eclipse bodies are 7mm shorter trigger to tip on these new models. I am more interested in the Eclipse at this point, than the Micron. I also don't think there will be any real big gains in performance on either model.

I have no idea why you would need a color cut that size for an airbrush which has a 0.18 mm nozzle board and it’s really designed for hairlines and other kinds of fine detail. If you need to consume that much paint and have it on hand in the air brush, a micron would probably not be your choice for that.

It looks like an H&S cub.
The description says it is 2 parts.
I think you can unscrew the top part.
(There is a line just above the airbrush)
leaving a small cub.
But if you can't remove the cub without cleaning it first.
Is it more disadvantages than advantages?

Last edited:
Procon Boy:whistling:

Iwata:whistling:

P1010202.JPG

This size is just a little bit not for the Micron, I'd say:)

I have no idea why you would need a color cut that size for an airbrush which has a 0.18 mm nozzle board and it’s really designed for hairlines and other kinds of fine detail. If you need to consume that much paint and have it on hand in the air brush, a micron would probably not be your choice for that.

These are words of wisdom.
Besides amount of paint required for detail work, the size of the cup also matters for the convenience of detail work, especially if the AB body has been shortened. Big cup that they are going to sell the AB with is not that something many people expect from detail work tool.

Which one would you use for the detail work?
I use the first two.

P1010206.JPG

These cups are from Olympos and Iwata that were manufactured previously. Two types of connection from Olympos and one from Iwata. It seems, they use the same connection on Procon Boy now as Olympos did. But Iwata's connection is much better to use and to clean after work.

P1010204.JPG

Feel the difference between the cups on the ABs:

P1010201.JPG

I like 7 ml cup on 101 model of Olympos. It's very convenient side feed brush and for most works it's been used, the volume of the cup is just great.

No idea why it uploaded upside down. [emoji1787]

The cups from the NEO are nearly indistinguishable from those of the H&S, having the same threads, and nearly identical volume(s). 6 one, half dozen another (also the Sparmax SP20X ;) - interestingly, all owned by Iwata). I use the finishing ring from H&S on one of my NEO's, effectively making it an "A" cup... I also use one of the NEO's cups on a Grex that I have, as they too have the same threads.

Two NEO cups and an H&S finishing ring -
neo-cups1.jpg

Last edited:
@DaveG
I have a ‘spare’ High performance A brush, can I put a micron head (and needle obviously) on it and have an A cup micron ?

Nope. The HP's don't feature a removable head. You can however still order MP200-A's from Japan ;). I convert mine to other than Olympos parts, and they are great little brushes. This is one I am working on now-

Olympos mp200a wold handle.jpg

HP-A's work pretty well in stock form. There are a couple of little tweaks that do offer subtle performance gains, but I am not real sure the average person would pick up on the differences - so, cost is subjective. I have them in several configurations -

Iwata HP-A Blue handle1.jpg

Nope. The HP's don't feature a removable head. You can however still order MP200-A's from Japan ;). I convert mine to other than Olympos parts, and they are great little brushes. This is one I am working on now-

View attachment 65668

HP-A's work pretty well in stock form. There are a couple of little tweaks that do offer subtle performance gains, but I am not real sure the average person would pick up on the differences - so, cost is subjective. I have them in several configurations -

View attachment 65669
Thanks Dave, it was just something that popped into my head :)
I enjoy my A cup, sometime a couple of drops is all I need

Frequently Asked Questions:
What does Takumi mean?

Takumi means “artisan” in Japanese.

Is the Takumi Micron a true Custom Micron?

The Iwata custom Micron Takumi Side Feed Dual Action Airbrush is in every way a Custom Micron. It sprays with the same Absolute Precision that advanced users have come to expect from Custom Micron.

Are the Custom Micron SB and Eclipse SBS models discontinued?

These models are no longer being manufactured. Parts will still be available on our site and through Iwata retailers.

Will I still be able to buy parts for my CM-SB or SBS?

Yes, parts will still be available on our site and through Iwata retailers. Check out our interactive Parts Finder.

Will the Takumi versions spray the same as the original models?

The Takumi versions will have the same spray characteristics as their category but with better control, responsiveness, and comfort. Check out our 5 Ways to Spray getting started article for more information on our spray categories.

Will I be able to buy new parts to retrofit my old CM-SB or Eclipse SBS?

Some parts like the wide adaptive trigger and pre-set handle will be compatible, however, the optimized Takumi body style is unique to these new airbrush models.

When will Takumi be available?

The projected release date for both Takumi models is late summer 2021.

This is very misleading. They make small changes to the body, use the same internal parts, small add-on to the name and suddenly they see it as a new gun and the previous one gets "discontinued". It's just a Micron V3 and an Eclipse V2. Don't get users all in a panic and make them think their tools will be useless if they break a part.

Hi there don't like it would not even think oven buying it love my custom micron cmc that's nowhere as good as my micron v2 what were they thinking. What's your opinion on it.

Hi there don't like it would not even think oven buying it love my custom micron cmc that's nowhere as good as my micron v2 what were they thinking. What's your opinion on it.

I would like to fit a V1 trigger and use the V1/V2 cups. Other than that, it's the same to me.

scottmackay Says the old cubs fit.
Don't know what they mean by the new trigger, But it fits the old models.
So chances are you can also use the old trigger or(v1) in the new one.
The needle is shortened. Nothing is known about the further dimensions.

Back