Erasing on different surfaces

Kyle

Double Actioner
Hi all! I'm almost three months into airbrushing and have been having a blast with it! For my next project I would like to attempt a crash helmet.

I've only been using Yupo paper due to the fact of its ability to use scratching and erasing... and more importantly to correct my mistakes which are happening less frequently then when I started but still happen.

Are erasing techniques possible doing primer, base, art, clear? If not how does one start to navigate this?

Thanks in advance!

I’ve done a steel ball (the Indian head if you look in my gallery) primer, then straight to painting and erasing. As long as the primer/base has had sufficient time to cure you should be fine as long as you don’t dig to hard.
I gave mine 48 hours to cure under a plastic tent to avoid bugs using it as a cemetery :)

If unsure you could also find a similar substrate to the crash helmet.
Ice cream containers, plastic spoons any of a hard plastic will do for experimentation

If you can work on Yupo, you can work on a helmet. Basically the same effect. Just don't go through the base coat.

I have erased and scratched on a lot of different surfaces. But I have also done a lot of practice on how hard or soft I need to be on said surface to not go through the base coat.
That being said
Welcome dragon.jpg

Hi Kyle, glad you’re enjoying your time airbrushing. Looks like some of the folks have got you covered with some answers. If you could shoot over and do a quick intro with some idea of where you are in the planet, it can help others point you in the right direction of products, suppliers etc.

Also keep in mind of your base color. Cause whatever you erase through will come out what your base is. For me, i always base things white and go from there.

Back